Jeep The RME4x4 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
I didn't realize that! Must have made room for emissions stuff, DEF tank?
I'm sure that's the idea. Does seem like the vehicle is long enough that they could have found room for everything without cutting back the tank size. I get the sense that as long as the vehicle gets around 300-350 miles per tank the engineers are satisfied that they did their job. The 47 gallon tank I had installed on my tundra is my response to that line of thinking.

Last edited:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I finally had some time to get the Gladiator into the dealership for a few warranty repairs, they were mentioned earlier in this thread.
  • The steering box upgrade (from aluminum to steel)
  • Rear window leak
  • 'Clunk' in the passenger seat
They had to order some parts in, but were able to swap the steering box after verifying the 'wandering' (it wasn't bad at all, IMO but perhaps I've been driving s**tboxes for too long). As @Mouse mentioned, they reprogram the ECU to up the power steering pressure as well. They also did an alignment, which is nice! I feel better knowing the aluminum power steering box is gone, I worried it just won't last with big tires and frequent offroading. The seat slider is getting replaced and they're going to replace the seal around the rear window.

They did the steering box, returned the Jeep for the weekend (Moab? :D ) and I'll take it back next week when they have the rest of the parts! The difference with the new steering box is nice, it's definitely tighter and responds to steering input right away.

i-nTbXgqm-X2.jpg

One thing I haven't posted in this thread about is the Falcon 3.3's! I've had them on the Gladiator for almost 2 years now and love how easy they are to tune & adjust, based on the terrain & driving needs. Plus, the SP2 Mode Adjust really lets you soften up the valving for the cold months when shock fluid gets thicker than Molasses. I usually run them on the Softest setting around town, the Firm setting on the Freeway and offroad really depends on what I'm doing.... usually I'm on the Middle setting for a little extra dampening, but Firm if I'm bombing down a fun 2 track or sandy wash. ;)

(I actually got Falcons for a JT with 2.5-3.5" lift, rather than my 1.5" lift... they were too long, but I didn't realize it until they were installed. The pics I have are the long ones, which got pulled off and returned for the right size)

i-Z22Gjzz-X2.jpg

i-4JvwDnx-X2.jpg

i-rCNZStP-X2.jpg

i-DqT53wc-X2.jpg

And installed!
i-jDZ9LM4-X2.jpg

Greg

Admin
It's no trophy truck, but its still an absolute BLAST making a high speed wash run and pushing the Falcon 3.3 shocks, set on Firm... they kept the Jeep off the bump stops! Honestly, it's a blast to go fast, considering this Gladiator is still running stock springs, control arms and bump stops, it's an impressive upgrade and fun to push around offroad.

Greg

Admin
Alright, enough suspense.... X-D

This is Stage 3 of the Gladiators build. I made some key upgrades that I believe are proportional to the size, wheelbase and overhang of the Gladiator. While the previous setup with a 1.5" Teraflex Leveling Kit and 37's was decently capable, the Gladiator struggled being long & low on the harder trails and the stock springs didn't provide much travel when pushed. While these mods aren't for everyone, I think they'll really make the Gladiator much more capable offroad.

It all started with the Teraflex 3.5” Alpine RT3 Short Arm Extended-Travel Suspension System;

• The 3.5” Alpine RT3 Short Arm Extended-Travel Suspension System’s Alpine IR Short Control Arms, HD Forged Adjustable Track Bars, and Track Bar Brackets set the benchmark for short arm suspensions for maximum adjustability making them the perfect mix of performance and comfort. Carefully selected components safely provide 16” of rear suspension travel. :boom:
  • Independent Rotation (IR) Bushings remove bushing bind during full suspension travel for less overall bushing load during articulation resulting in an unrestricted droop as well as a noticeable ride improvement whether on the highway or the trail.
  • Front and Rear HD Forged Adjustable Track Bars and Front and Rear Track Bar Axle Brackets improve steering response, center the axles to optimize vehicle roll center, and reduce body roll for unsurpassed handling.
  • In addition to the above, you also gain SpeedBumps (which are awesome), the rear anti-sway bar is relocated from behind the axle to above the frame, the rear control arm mounts gain more separation and better control, the rear driveshaft won't self destruct with all the new rear travel, etc. What's awesome about the RT3 Suspension System is that it's a fully engineered upgrade with high quality parts, it's so much more than just a suspension 'lift' kit.

P1015870-X2.jpg

P1015887-X2.jpg

P1015877-X2.jpg

Next up was the matching Falcon 3.3 shocks and Nexus EF 2.2 Fast Adjust Steering Stabilizer. If you know anything about me, you know I'm a big fan of Falcon shocks. I've ran several pair on a few different vehicles and love the wide range of performance they offer. From driving a lifted Jeep on the freeway and being totally planted, to blasting sandy two-track washes and handling it with ease, the Falcons offer a massive upgrade in capability and performance. I love that they're designed, manufactured and hand assembled locally in Utah!

P1015905-X2.jpg

P1015906-X2.jpg

P1015911-X2.jpg

20220108_105414-X2.jpg

With 3.5" of lift, a larger tire was required.... due to supplier issues, it's very difficult to find large tires these days. :grimacing: I got really lucky after reaching out to John Williams @Impulse Offroad about a set of 39" BFGoodrich KM3 tires and he just happened to have one set available. Plans were made and I soon had a set of 39's in hand. Thanks John, you saved my build!

I liked my previous AEV Salta wheels but after a decent amount of wheelin, they were scratched up pretty bad. I had seen the Teraflex Nomad wheels and their replaceable rock rash ring and decided that was a wise investment for a Jeep that's going to get wheeled..... the Nomads also feature a Air Deflator Valve that allows you to quickly air down your tires to a preset pressure, as low as 10 PSI. Open the valve and walk away and they'll automatically stop at your pre-set pressure!

To assist the front axle housing with holding up to the big 39" KM3's, an Artec Apex Truss was welded on to the front axle housing. I carefully welded a little bit at a time, as to not warp the housing. Also preheated and post heated the cast steel to make sure the welds stuck. The bare steel was roughed up with a sander and SteelIt was applied to keep it from rusting.

20211227_161814-X2.jpg

20211227_161800-X2.jpg

20220117_124808-X2.jpg

In order to turn the massive 39" BFGoodrich KM3 tires, Yukon 5.13 gears were selected to get the RPM's back to where they need to be. I know that 5.13's sound pretty deep, but is should be geared just a little deeper than stock. I installed the gears with input from good friends, so hopefully they last!

20220121_170643-X2.jpg

20220121_180935-X2.jpg

20220205_182555-X2.jpg

Other pending upgrades; I'm planning to add aftermarket ball joints to hold up to the big tires, upgrading the axle shafts & joints to RCV's and probably Reid Racing steel knuckles, to replace the factory aluminum knuckles.

Pics of the upgrade install progress....

20220213_182105-X2.jpg

20220202_172457-X2.jpg

20220125_151139-X2.jpg

20220213_141809-X2.jpg
P1015922-X2.jpg

Greg

Admin
And the final product.... I'm very happy with the outcome! It rides and drives amazing, much better than expected. The suspension is compliant, but planted. You'd never know it was sitting on 39's by driving it. The gearing combined with the big tires is perfect, it gets into 8th gear at 45 MPH turning 1400 RPM once again! The Nexus steering stabilizer helps tame the big tires and everything just feels like a solid improvement overall.

I had some major issues with the shop powder coating the wheels, but it's in the past. I used Illusion Red from Prismatic Powders. It damn near GLOWS in the sunlight! The color is a great match to the other Reds on the JT. :cool:

P1015935-X2.jpg

20220217_162934-X2.jpg

20220217_162849-X2.jpg

20220217_162856-X2.jpg

20220217_163627-X2.jpg

P1015962-X2.jpg

RockChucker

Looks good. Curious why Reid knuckles vs the oem Mojave knuckles that are steel (maybe iron)? My guess is they could be had for less coin and be basically the same?

Greg

Admin
Looks good. Curious why Reid knuckles vs the oem Mojave knuckles that are steel (maybe iron)? My guess is they could be had for less coin and be basically the same?

Prices on them are very similar, I assumed the Ried knuckles had better metallurgy than the factory Mojave knuckles. Probably doesn't matter though, steel (or iron) would be much better compared to aluminum.

YES! Looks beautiful Greg. The Gladiator on 39‘s for the win! Hope to see you on the trails.

See ya out there Justin! 😁

This is not good, not good at all for my finances or my relationship. I love our JK, but… now I need a gladiator in my life

😆 Kami will understand, she's cool like that... plus, the Gladiator hauls bikes better than a JK!