Jeep The RME4x4 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Time for the reveal of the Stage 2 mods!

I was able to get to Moab for a quick trail test, heading to Hells Revenge. I'm very pleased with the outcome of Stage 2, I gained much needed ground clearance, better approach, breakover and departure angle. I was able to check the tire clearance, bumpstop height and shock travel and it all looked good. The Gladiator worked great, I scraped the rear hitch several times, but that's to be expected. I was pretty happy with the wheel travel, considering I'm still running stock springs & control arms.

It took a MONTH to get the wheels back from the powdercoater! The color is pretty awesome, it takes on all kinds of different shades depending on the light. The 37" BFG KM3's look perfect with the amount of lift, wheelbase and they work great offroad and on. The Falcon 2.1's are a huge improvement over the factory Fox 2.0's, the Gladiator feels much more sure-footed on bumpy roads and the rough trails. It's obvious that they dampening makes a big, needed change. The 37's don't rub at all and the bumpstops all seem to be set right, which is amazing considering the low lift height! I feel like the Stage 2 mods all work together very well!

i-28jx5x3-L.jpg

i-xKXstTK-L.jpg

i-3fknNTS-L.jpg

i-mFfDcdL-L.jpg

i-sZLPXQ4-L.jpg

i-xjcQ6hN-L.jpg

Greg

Admin
Not really 'build' related, but I have been using the Gladiator as a tow rig! I hooked up the car hauler, set the Falcon 3.3's (I haven't updated the thread with the addition of the Falcon 3.3's!!) on firm and hit the freeway, driving about an hour away. I ended up hauling a CJ3B back home with me and the Gladiator did just fine with the load. I stopped at my favorite local weigh station to check the total load.... almost 8,000#'s!

IMG_20200429_150015_111-X2.jpg

20200429_134917-X2.jpg

The CJ3B is a project, but it has a Ford Flathead V8 under the hood! I want to get it running and driving, not sure where it'll go from there.

IMG_20200429_150015_109-X2.jpg

20200429_175341-X2.jpg

Its actually pretty damn good, I want to regear is soon but the way it drives, its not needed ASAP. It will still get into 8th gear on flat freeway at 75-80 mph.
So does the trans seem to shift in the right places or is there an option to chip/retune the shift points? I'm especially interested in how this is affected when you re-gear.

Greg

Admin
So does the trans seem to shift in the right places or is there an option to chip/retune the shift points? I'm especially interested in how this is affected when you re-gear.

I reprogrammed my transmission shift points based on the tire size and gear ratio, using a simple plug in tuner. I'm still running the stock 4.10 gears with 37's and the shift points feel right on. Soon I plan to regear to 5.13's and will change the programming to reflect the change.

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
Greg, have you got the TSB done in the steering box yet? The new steel box tightened up the steering on my gladiator quite a bit.

Reactions: DAA

Greg

Admin
Greg, have you got the TSB done in the steering box yet? The new steel box tightened up the steering on my gladiator quite a bit.

I have not, heard about it but mine doesn't seem all that bad? I wonder if the dealer will give me grief about the lift and 37's.

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
I have not, heard about it but mine doesn't seem all that bad? I wonder if the dealer will give me grief about the lift and 37's.

Of course the dealer shouldn't give you grief, but you never know. I'd recommend trying to get it changed under warranty. Lots of folks have had problems with the original box; I'm convinced its a design flaw. The TSB also reprograms the PCM in order to change (increase?) power steering pump output.