Jeep The RME4x4 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Of course the dealer shouldn't give you grief, but you never know. I'd recommend trying to get it changed under warranty. Lots of folks have had problems with the original box; I'm convinced its a design flaw. The TSB also reprograms the PCM in order to change (increase?) power steering pump output.

I'll make an appointment and get it in, see what they say. I also need them to check out the passenger seat, there seems to be a seat mount bolt that isn't fully tightened. When a passenger is in the seat, it clunks around corners and over bumps.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
2 years into Gladiator ownership and still absolutely loving this truck! It's been fun with the Teraflex 1.5" leveling kit and 37's, but changes are coming.

View attachment 139260

Thanks for the update. I keep having bad thoughts of selling my F350, trailer and trail Jeep (likely start with that first if I were to pull the trigger?) and throwing that cash against a deezel Gladiator.... Probably won't do anything but it does keep crossing my mind.

How secure does the truck handle about 5500 lbs on a trailer? (that'd be a car on as small of a car hauler as I could scrounge up) Any "Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/Fiat" issues with warranty crap and such? (is it a 2012 JKU is what I'm asking, I guess?)

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Still loving mine as well. On the 3rd windshield, 2nd steering box and soon to have a new rear window in the hardtop (leaking)

I had pretty significant issues with my JKU hardtop leaking. I very much preferred the soft top over the hard top even though the hardtop felt more "secure" for junk that was in the car. Gladiator's still have the same issue?

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
The service manager told me that the leaking rear window is wide spread on the gladiator. There is a new part number for the glass and a new gasket/sealing process to resolve the issue. My wifes JKU top has been leak free.

Greg

Admin
Thanks for the update. I keep having bad thoughts of selling my F350, trailer and trail Jeep (likely start with that first if I were to pull the trigger?) and throwing that cash against a deezel Gladiator.... Probably won't do anything but it does keep crossing my mind.

How secure does the truck handle about 5500 lbs on a trailer? (that'd be a car on as small of a car hauler as I could scrounge up) Any "Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/Fiat" issues with warranty crap and such? (is it a 2012 JKU is what I'm asking, I guess?)

The Gladiator tows a loaded car hauler better than I expected. I think most of it is due to the 8 speed transmission. It definitely needs a brake controller for that much weight though. But it's not as good as a modern 1/2 ton IMO. Falcon shocks on their firm setting really help control the hitch weight.

Even with about that much weight with mine on 37's and stock 4.10's and it did pretty decent.

I do have the infamous rear window leak, my pass front seat pops due to a loose bolt. My aluminum steering box seems fine, but I'll have it replaced under warranty and upgrade to the steel box.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Boy, the ecoboost thread was getting pretty dark.. but the list of issues you guys are having with the jeep doesn’t seem any better 😳
I hate to sound like I always come to the defense of FCA but those issues seem pretty small potatoes compared to the EB thread.

@Greg I can't wait to see the changes. Gladiators keep growing on me and heaven knows there are plenty of nice ones driving around the SL Valley, especially as close as I am to Teraflex. I just wish I had a need for a vehicle that is an ok truck and an ok rock crawler cause they're perfect for that! :rofl:

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
This is kind of my observation of a Gladiator (no significant seat time at all in one). Add "ok freeway vehicle" to that and you'd have an accurate picture?
Sounds right. I really just want one as a "for fun" vehicle and I already have like 1 1/2 of those. In an ideal world the wife would have a Gladiator (and let me drive it sometimes) but alas I am not that lucky.

Greg

Admin
This is kind of my observation of a Gladiator (no significant seat time at all in one). Add "ok freeway vehicle" to that and you'd have an accurate picture?

Yep! The additional wheelbase really helps, it has a smaller bed and the wind noise of a Jeep Wrangler.

Greg

Admin
Boy, the ecoboost thread was getting pretty dark.. but the list of issues you guys are having with the jeep doesn’t seem any better 😳

Meh, it's a new model with minor teething issues. I've had no problems that have kept me off the road, trail or spending any unnecessary time at the dealership. And the teething issues are under warranty, so its no money out of pocket to fix them.

Greg

Admin
I'd think it's a better than okay long range patrol coyote hunting/exploring/camping vehicle? No seat time at all though, so can't say. Looks like it should very good for that stuff though.

- DAA

I do, the truck bed is awesome for loading up gear. I haven't done as much camping out of the Gladiator as I'd have liked, but I think it would suite your needs well.

The diesel would get that much better mileage, of course, increasing range.

Reactions: DAA