The Rubicon July 2017

Bart

The 2017 Rubicon was amazing and everyone had a great time. We had one slight layover and some breakage in the group but nothing major and we all made it out under our power. We managed to hit it at just the right time, just after the snow melt and high run off, but before any large groups went through. The Rubithon was a day behind us and I'm sure it will change a bit after every large group.

There were about 12 rigs thinking about coming but in the end there were 6 that showed. Tony and his daughter Taylor from Chicago in his orange TJ Rubicon, Mike and Lisa from Iowa, and their 3 daughters, Katie, Sammy, and Jenny in their white JKU Rubicon, Jeff and Michelle (San Francisco) in his sleeper sage green YJ, Brett (Draper) and his crew Noah, Nate, and Kaden in his green Scrambler, Brett's son Matt and his wife Katie in a white YJ, and me and my son Eric in my stretched black CJ from Orem.

We met at Loon Lake about 10:00 a.m. on July 10[SUP]th[/SUP] and headed to the staging area where we aired down, and got the red garbage bags that Cal4x4 hands out to every vehicle that does the Rubi. Thank you Cal4x4. We got on our way and almost immediately the white YJ started having mechanical issues. It had recently undergone a 5.3 motor transplant and was not running right. He made to the Gate Keeper and then lost 4 low in his T-case and Brett decided it was best to turn around and follow them off the trail.

IMG_3864.JPGIMG_3866.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

Things went pretty smooth after that and we were making very good time. In fact we caught up with a few groups that included much better built rigs, but were lacking in some driver skills. I noticed through this section that the trail had changed substantially since my last Rubicon trip in 1998. There were bridges over water crossings and new outhouses, but the trail itself seemed a bit more difficult which could have been because of the harsh winter and the timing of our trip. We made good time to the Little Sluice and this was one part of the trial that was much easier than before, because they blew up the big boulders and made it the main trail to avoid going by Spider Lake.

Spider Lake is one of the environmental lessons learned the hard way and was almost the demise the Rubicon. When we were there in 98 there were white flowers (toilet paper with rocks on the pile) everywhere you looked by the lake. It got so bad that the lake was closed for swimming because of human waste contamination. If not for the Friends of the Rubicon, Del Albright, and groups like them, that organized and implemented the trail changes and outhouses, the Rubicon would have been closed long ago. We didn’t know if the lake was open or not so we decided to press on to camp.

Just as we were about to pass a group that we’d been following for a while Mike noticed he had bent a tie rod on the Little Sluice. We made quick work of the straightening, with my winch pulling from behind and he actually drove it back to Iowa that way. We were just getting back on the trail when we came up to a V notch and Jeff got a little too far one way when a rock rolled out from under his tire and he laid his pristine YJ on its side. The damage was minimal, a dent and some scratches on the rear quarter panel and the door and a broken mirror. We had him up and going in about 15 minutes.

Bart

Unfortunately the group we had just passed went off trail and around us while we were cleaning up the little spill, but we were back on their tail in 10 minutes. The funny part about that was all of their rigs were very well built and capable but our drivers just drove everything smoother and better than them. I think us catching up to them so quickly frustrated the group even worse. I finally asked if we could pass them and they let us through. The rest of that day was smooth sailing into Buck Island where we scored an amazing camp site.

The next morning we were in the trail mid-morning and just past the dam when we noticed that Jeff's rear axle had sheared a spring pin and moved back on one side. When Brett pulled up he managed to break the main lead on a front spring at the same location. Everyone chipped in and we were trail fixed and rolling again in less than an hour. Things were moving right along and we were almost on the Big Sluice when Brett radioed that his fan had quit working and he was overheating. Luckily he was able to switch some circuits and we were moving toward Rubicon Springs in about an hour and a half.

Attachments

• IMG_3870.JPG
    IMG_3870.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_3876.JPG
    IMG_3876.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_3881.JPG
    IMG_3881.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 38

Bart

We made it down the Big Sluice and into the Springs and lucked out when the Caretakers noticed that we had kids with us let us stay in a private part of the camp ground that had a river, a dock, a canoe, and a nice fire pit with wood. We used all of the amenities and were pretty spoiled that night.

We were up early the next morning and packed and on the trail for the final push up Cadillac Hill. The big mud bogs had mostly dried out and no one had any problems up to our last stop at Observation Point where we took the last group pictures and said our goodbyes, and Eric and I headed out. We were back in Tahoe, had eaten lunch and we're headed out of town by 3:00 p.m. and pulled into Orem at about 1:45 a.m. All in all it was a great trip with amazing friends. I did have a check engine light on my truck but nothing that required a fix and the CJ worked incredibly well with no breakdowns. The part that surprised me the most about my Jeep was the 100ish miles of pavement driving and how well it did because even though it’s a street licensed Jeep but is a pretty dedicated trail rig that gets driven around town occasionally. Can't wait for the next adventure.

Attachments

• IMG_3884.JPG
    IMG_3884.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3887.JPG
    IMG_3887.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_3897.JPG
    IMG_3897.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 38

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Thanks for sharing this report Bart, looks like it was a great time! Sounds like your Jeep is setup about perfect for the 'Con... anything you'd change after this trip?

I'm looking forward to my next Rubicon trip, this was a great reminder. :cool:

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Thanks for sharing this report Bart, looks like it was a great time! Sounds like your Jeep is setup about perfect for the 'Con... anything you'd change after this trip?

I'm looking forward to my next Rubicon trip, this was a great reminder. :cool:

Ditto and Ditto!

Bart

Looks like an amazing trip. How did your back hold up?

I bought some new Corbeau low back seats with head rests and added a lumbar support to my seat. They worked great and firmly held us in place. The ride out and back in the truck took more of a toll than the trail. The back held up well.

Thanks for sharing this report Bart, looks like it was a great time! Sounds like your Jeep is setup about perfect for the 'Con... anything you'd change after this trip? :cool:

Nothing I would change at all. I don't think we could have timed the trip better. We missed the high water crossings by a week and beat the large group rides by a day; We were prepared for everything else that came up.

Sounds like a nice trip. Any pictures while you were on Big Sluice?

I don't have any because I was leading, but I'd bet that Brett (Maverick) has some and I'll try to get some from the rest of the group. The Big Sluice and Cadillac Hill were parts that seemed harder than last time. Brett would probably;y have more recent comparisons than I do.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Glad to hear your back is doing better!

Where did you drop your trailer? Tahoe?

I had a couple buddies go from Loon Lake into Cadillac Hill then back out. I like that idea but always looking for options.

Bart

We left the trailers at South Tahoe Campground for $5 per night. Just nice to have them somewhere semi protected.