The Suzuki V-Strom 650

D

Deleted member 12904

Picked up a clean stock 09' put a little over 100 miles on it and am really happy so far.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Good for you! I think you'll be very happy with the V-Strom, it's the kind of bike that wants to be ridden for miles & miles!

Greg

Admin
The Vstrom is a lot lighter than most of the bikes like this aren't they?

The 650 seems to be, the 1000 is a bit heavier at around 40 pounds more. Another thing that helps the 650 feel lighter is the seat, it's a little lower than the 1000 seat. I always wanted to find a 1000 seat and swap it on my V-Strom, I felt a little cramped with the low seat.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I’ve got a bike fund ready to buy something. Seriously considering a vstrom 650 or 1000. A lot of the rides will be spent with my father on his goldwing. He thinks it’s a sport bike though, and cruising mph is often in the high 80’s or low 90’s. Canyons are meant for full throttle cornering, and rides last many many hours a day, with 300-400 miles per day being Pretty typical. I would like the lighter, more nimble 650.. but am very afraid it will not keep up. Any thoughts on their abilities to push hard and long?

Greg

Admin
I’ve got a bike fund ready to buy something. Seriously considering a vstrom 650 or 1000. A lot of the rides will be spent with my father on his goldwing. He thinks it’s a sport bike though, and cruising mph is often in the high 80’s or low 90’s. Canyons are meant for full throttle cornering, and rides last many many hours a day, with 300-400 miles per day being Pretty typical. I would like the lighter, more nimble 650.. but am very afraid it will not keep up. Any thoughts on their abilities to push hard and long?

I think the 650 will keep up with the Goldwing just fine. I'd say go test ride one and see what you think.

Its not going to be a problem keeping up. The bigger bike is just going to be more comfortable on long rides and require less shifting. I've only ridden the 650, not the 1000. I didn't ride it all day, but it was a pretty comfortable, capable machine.

J-mobzz

I put about 8k miles on this 08 650 including a handful of 80-85mph freeway trips to Boise and back. I really loved that bike and would own another in a heartbeat. I’ve never ridden a gold wing so I don’t have a reference but the 650 v-strom is not a fast bike. It’s not slow and does just fine but it isn’t sporty imo.

21851631-5C67-4C69-9333-BFD22E371F64.jpeg

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Ah. I've checked out a few of the old GL's on ksl. Thinking they might could be a fit for what I'm looking for. I'd want one that was stripped down though. Maybe a silver wing too.

boogie_4wheel

Consider a BMW 1150/1200 GS if you're looking for an adv that will keep up with the Wing. Dirt capable, shaft drive, gets you ABS and maybe optioned with heated grips/seat. If you're going to slab 400 running with a Goldwing, that wee-strom is gonna suck. It'll do it, but I think the lack of comfort will take all the fun out of it.

Last edited:

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
A vstrom is pretty darn comfortable to me. And more importantly less than 10k. And they've been available with abs (and traction control) for a while.

I'd be more inclined to go F800GS but Brian is afraid of all things European :p

Greg

Admin
I also thought the VStrom was plenty comfortable, as mentioned earlier in this thread upgrading to a stock seat off a 1000 is a big improvement.