The Thing 2011

GOAT

Back from the beyond
First off i have to say that i'm not a huge fan of sci-fi and horror so it takes quite a bit to impress me. The original "the thing" was, and has been one of my favorites since i sneaked into a theater and saw it in the 80s. You can imagine how excited i was when i heard another "thing" movie was coming out and it wasn't a remake, but in fact a prequel. Well, after seeing it friday i can say it is half prequel and half remake which adds up to a complete waste of time. The actress who plays the lead/antagonist roll falls far from what kurt russell brought to the screen and isn't all that great to look at. The "thing" has now shed its fear and no longer feels the need to hide but actually stalks its prey and even runs after them. What the hell? The movie is all over the place and it seems the director just said screw it and threw everything against the wall to see what sticks.

A recipe for failure.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
excellent review. I have many reservations about remakes as it is, and when the trailer doesn't make it look better, and then I read a review by someone whose opinions are rational, I'm probably gonna save some money. :D

The rash of remakes lately has really irritated me. There are literally millions of stories to tell, and if you for some reason run out, HISTORY is freaking THRILLING. I could watch a thousand movies about the conquest of Peru, the building of the Great Wall, the plot to assassinate Archduke Ferdinand, the invention of the lightbulb, Tesla's experiments in wireless energy, ANYTHING!! but no, remakes of Footloose. Awesome.

Thanks, Goat. :D

mesha

By endurance we conquer
In that case I might go see it. He could have at least played an old drunkard or something:)