The tow rig stereo thread

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I am looking at replacing the head unit in my truck. It doesn't even have blue tooth. I've been looking at this atoto

[Upgrade] ATOTO Double Din Car Stereo with Wireless CarPlay,Wireless Android Auto,7in IPS Touchscreen,Bluetooth,Phone Mirroring,HD LRV Camera,USB Video & Audio,F7G2A7WE-S01 https://a.co/d/93J6xOg

I'm so deaf, sound clarity is very relative.
I have been looking for something for the Heep with an aux input. It is hard to find a double din with that, but it looks like you may have ended my search.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I have been looking for something for the Heep with an aux input. It is hard to find a double din with that, but it looks like you may have ended my search.
They get pretty good reviews. I'm also thinking about one for the jeep. It's cheap enough for a deck that will be out in the elements and it has 3 camera inputs. It would be cool to run a front camera in the jeep.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
They get pretty good reviews. I'm also thinking about one for the jeep. It's cheap enough for a deck that will be out in the elements and it has 3 camera inputs. It would be cool to run a front camera in the jeep.
Bought one and an stall kit with harness to plug into OEM harness. The first control box for the steering wheel controls was bad so I had to wait for them to send me a replacement. Then I spent a week and a half in the desert. Got it installed tonight and so far I like how it is set up and sounds. I need to find a better install kit since I really don’t like that this one does not fit the dash very well and the radio is slightly set back.

5A8EA3FA-3675-4604-B7F4-7D3805EE436F.jpeg

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Well got it hooked up at long last.
Didn't need the other harness plug after all (it was for auxiliary input)
20230323_154741.jpg
The key to the whole deal was the accessory on (ignition hot) was only 2.5v to the stock stereo and most aftermarket deals need 12v
So I found a wire in the loom (passenger kick panel green with a lavender tracer) that was delayed accessory on (12v until the door is opened) and ran a power from that to the head unit.
Screenshot_20230323_204233_YouTube.jpg

I'll have to install the backup camera when it's not night, 30° and raining.
20230323_171124.jpg

Quite pleased. Wireless Android Auto takes maybe <5 seconds to auto play from key on.
And it sounds decent too.
20230323_213138.jpg

Looking forward to enjoying my drive to Denver next week.

If anyone else who has this knows how to install a video player app, I'd be forever grateful.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Well got it hooked up at long last.
Didn't need the other harness plug after all (it was for auxiliary input)
View attachment 158194
The key to the whole deal was the accessory on (ignition hot) was only 2.5v to the stock stereo and most aftermarket deals need 12v
So I found a wire in the loom (passenger kick panel green with a lavender tracer) that was delayed accessory on (12v until the door is opened) and ran a power from that to the head unit.
View attachment 158193

I'll have to install the backup camera when it's not night, 30° and raining.
View attachment 158195

Quite pleased. Wireless Android Auto takes maybe <5 seconds to auto play from key on.
And it sounds decent too.
View attachment 158196

Looking forward to enjoying my drive to Denver next week.

If anyone else who has this knows how to install a video player app, I'd be forever grateful.
I hate those little red things

Zombie

Random Dead Guy
This
Also this scares me

Gain is to match the audio amplification to the input voltage. Volume should be handled by the source. Depending on the input voltage, 20% gain could be over amplifying the signal and become your source of distortion. As Dave said, clean signal from the deck makes all the difference which is why the non clipping 4v preouts on alpine decks always were the go to for mid priced system. But don't use the gain for volume.
@Cody - several months later, your reply has been in my head every time my stereo made a noise that it shouldn't have... I took advantage of the slightly cooler temps over the weekend to dig into the stereo again. I adjusted the gain all the way down on all channels, and spent a little time adjusting the crossovers on the amp and the EQ on the deck, and I have a much cleaner more clear sound now. Thanks for the comment - it has made my sound experience better. I need to add a lot of sound deadening, especially with it being a 12 valve, but I do appreciate a cleaner sound.

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
I don't intend on swapping out the stock speakers.

Cheapish because I assume crap head units are sluggish and dont support wireless Android auto as seamless as nicer ones.
I put a Jensen 710 in my Bar-B van. It supports wireless or wired Apple Carplay / Android Auto, touch screen. Head unit alone is around $300. I did pay for installation and I had new speakers installed as well. It works great for my purposes but I'm not an audiophile. I listen mostly to podcasts.

The wireless carplay works ok but there is a little delay between the phone and the unit. That doesn't cause any issues when listening, just when you hit play / rewind / etc. I actually spent extra to get the wireless capability but found that I'm mostly using it wired anyway (so I can charge my phone as I'm listening).

SoopaHick

Certified Weld Judger
I put a Jensen 710 in my Bar-B van. It supports wireless or wired Apple Carplay / Android Auto, touch screen. Head unit alone is around $300. I did pay for installation and I had new speakers installed as well. It works great for my purposes but I'm not an audiophile. I listen mostly to podcasts.

The wireless carplay works ok but there is a little delay between the phone and the unit. That doesn't cause any issues when listening, just when you hit play / rewind / etc. I actually spent extra to get the wireless capability but found that I'm mostly using it wired anyway (so I can charge my phone as I'm listening).
I only use Carplay wired... I don't know if it's just my phone but whenever I tried to do Carplay wireless anytime I'd go into spotty Service areas the audio would cut in and out periodically anytime my phone found, or lost, cell service. Even though the stuff I was listening to was downloaded and not using data.