THE VOLVO...Ugly semi truck crawler hauler build thread

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
Having the overly heavy, massive wheeler that I do.....towing situations can be interesting. 4 years ago I bought a 04 F650 crew cab medium duty truck and made it into a crawler hauler. The build thread can be found here.
http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?71024-the-MAN-sized-crawler-hauler-build-thread&highlight=

I absolutely loved that truck. It was VERY underpowered but it could have been upgraded some. The problem with that truck was the expense. I had a 16k loan on it, it was a 04 meaning insurance and registration was spendy. Work got slow and I couldnt afford the truck so it had to go. Ever since that, Ive wanted another rig that would be big enough to put the Scout on the flatbed and haul a camp trailer behind.

For me this is the best towing situation there is. I did the long trailer with a camper mounted on the front. Problem is you get to moab, you have to pack up camp every time you want to run a trail and then your hauling and parking a long trailer between trails. For guys with street legal rigs, this would work. Not for me.

SOOOO

Ive been watching for a long time trying to find the ideal truck for me. I didnt want a semi. I wanted another crew cab medium duty truck. Prices for them have skyrocketed lately. If I would have kept the 650, I could have almost doubled my money for it! I was looking in the 5k range. Even 1980s crew cab medium duties, beat to hell, no bed are selling for 9000! :eek: Im sure deals still pop up but I wasnt having any luck.

Well....this thing popped up and I drove by to take a look.

First impression was bad. The bed was to short, wheelbase was to short, interior wasnt great. I left without hearing it run or even talking to them, But for whatever reason the thing kept haunting me. I went back the next day with the same result. Not for me. Finally a week later I went again and had them fire it up. I didnt know how to drive it so they took me around in it for a ride. It sounds friggin awesome! Seemed to have good power and it seemed to be working fine. BUT there were still so many negatives. I left.

Well about a month later this thing is still for sale. I go back again. He asks whats holding me back, pointed out a few issues and he has them fixed. Well now Im out of excuses. A week later I go back AGAIN and decide I want it. I gave a deposit and then went to North Dakota to learn how to drive a semi by helping a buddy out with the sugar beet harvest. So when I got home, so did the truck.
Here is the first day home

The drive home was interesting. Lots of problems I wasnt expecting. Nothing major. But lots of things associated with a 27 year old truck. Stuff that will nickle and dime me to death Im sure,

So anyway...Its a 1986 Volvo with a 6v92 Detroit motor and a 9 speed transmission.
This is not going to be an over the top fancy build. Quite the opposite. Im going to make it functional with as little cash as possible.

Initial plans for the truck are
-extend the flatbed
-add stacks
-replace the horrible air ride seats in the front
And after this I will just use it. Eventually I would like to update the paint, maybe the interior but this will always be a ugly old semi. I dont see much sense in throwing a ton of money at it to try to make it otherwise.

ChestonScout

I really didnt get many pics of it before it went under the knife.

I mentioned the seats. They were bad. Both front seats were air ride, both were awful. The shocks were bad, air bags leaked, all the hinges were worn on the bases SO.....they just got yanked and thrown away. Everyone Ive told say bad call. Its a air ride cab but leaf sprung. Time will tell I suppose.

I thought I had a pic of the seats but I cant find it. But anyway...a trip to the junkyard with my brother resulted in me draggin this home

I was hoping to use the whole bench but it doesnt look like Im gonna get the center piece in. The plan is to just solid mount the seats on some fabricated mounts. The seat came out of a ext. cab 02 Superduty so they have built in seatbelts, but most importantly, I just like these seats. Personally they are the most comfy seat out there for me and a big part of why I like Ford trucks. As seen the drivers side is worn. I will get a new foam and have it recovered.....someday. It doesnt bother me at all the way it is right now.

I have done some tinkering on building the bases but I guess I havent taken any pics yet

Edit..I found one pic!

Last edited:

ChestonScout

So before I started cutting I got bored and decided I would pull the Scout on the bed. I wanted to see exactly how much I needed to extend and I just wanted to get an idea of what it was all gonna look like.

The truck is parked on the side of my house so its hard to get any good pics right now.

Actually, the truck had some side rails welded on the sides. Those have been cut off in these pics.

The bed was almost 12 foot long. I was surprised I got the Scout up off the ground but the front tires were right at the cab. My original plan for the bed was to cut the dovetail off, extend the flat deck by 2' and reattach the dovetail.
So out came the plasma cutter

After tearing into it, and seeing how ghetto fabbed this bed actually is...I decided the small dovetail wasnt gonna fly.

ChestonScout

So I decided just to build a 5' dove off where I cut.

This gives me a couple advantages. The angle will be very slight. Im confident with some long ramps I can pull a car up there. I sold my car hauler already and I dont plan on buying another one so I hope this works for when I get my drag race car together someday.
It also makes it so I can be sure the hitch will be sufficient. Only bad part is I had to buy some metal. I was very happy with how the dovetail turned out on my F650 so Im pretty much copying it straight over to this truck.
C channel stringers with angle iron inbetween. The center will stay lower and will be decked in for a place to put a cooler or a generator.

LT was over here the other day picking up his truck. He grabbed a hold of my dovetail as it was in this pic. Yup.....every tack weld broke and the thing went to the ground!! THANKS ROB. hehehe I should have took a pic. Oh well. It went back together pretty smooth

ChestonScout

Thank ya!

Im really hoping this will save us some money. The plan is to sell my F350 and buy a cheap 1/2 ton truck to use for work. The f350 isnt paid for so that will eliminate a payment. Hopefully resulting in more wheeling trips. We will see.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin

:rofl:

I dig the truck... any idea what kind of power the engine should make? Expected mileage?

It'll be interesting to hear how the seats ride, my International work truck with air ride seats is horrible... but that has most everything to do with the rear suspension.

RogueJeepr

Here!
Your going to want to keep those air-ride seats. You can keep the air-ride bases and adapt whatever seat you want on top for comfort.
I rode with my dad once and the passenger seat didn't have air. Man it sucked especially hauling tankers.
They did that to keep passengers out and it was sort of illeagal to have me out on a run.

The seats you have should be able to bolt onto the bases. Woops nevermind after looking at the pic again .

Those are ford f250 seats w/ intergrated belts and I don't think the floor would be strong enuf to support them in the rare event of a collision. Plus they have an exploding buckle tensioner. Wich would tighten the buckle during a wreck.

Cool truck. :)

Last edited:

ChestonScout

:rofl:

I dig the truck... any idea what kind of power the engine should make? Expected mileage?

It'll be interesting to hear how the seats ride, my International work truck with air ride seats is horrible... but that has most everything to do with the rear suspension.

I havent got the numbers off the motor yet. There were a few different configurations. HP will be right around 300 and torque around the 800 mark. It should do what I need it to.....I hope. As for mileage I really dont know. All the interwebbin Ive done has resulted in a TON of old bus RV conversions with this motor. They almost all are claiming 9 mpg in a big ol bus! Ive got my fingers crossed for 8-9 while pulling the Scout and a camper. The F350 gets 10 just pulling the Scout so its not a ton worse. (I hope)

Your going to want to keep those air-ride seats. You can keep the air-ride bases and adapt whatever seat you want on top for comfort.
I rode with my dad once and the passenger seat didn't have air. Man it sucked especially hauling tankers.
They did that to keep passengers out and it was sort of illeagal to have me out on a run.

The seats you have should be able to bolt onto the bases. Woops nevermind after looking at the pic again .

Those are ford f250 seats w/ intergrated belts and I don't think the floor would be strong enuf to support them in the rare event of a collision. Plus they have an exploding buckle tensioner. Wich would tighten the buckle during a wreck.

Cool truck. :)

Yup....Seat bases are melted down and on their way to China by now. I havent been in a lot of big trucks but I have yet to be in a air ride seat that I liked.

You have to keep in mind......I will not be driving this truck everyday, and it will have 7000 lbs sitting over the back axle. Plus the weight of the flatbed.

Also, Im used to driving a lifted F350 with a horrible suspension. The truck rides pretty bad. These same seats were in my F650 stock and it was all leaf sprung as well. With no air ride cab. It was rough but didnt kill me. And it went on several trips over 1000 miles. Im confident it will be an acceptable ride. If not, I can always upgrade the seats later. This is a way to have decent seats for under 100 bucks. Including seatbelts

Thanks for the compliments! Its ugly but in a different almost good way?? :D

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Jealous! I have wanted to do a semi for a while. Someday I will be that cool

what do you do when you are just outside of green river and blow a ujoint, or lose an alternator. No friend can bring a trailer and tow you home :eek:

Last edited:

UFAB

Might be on the budget parts side but your time is worth more than people will ever know.

Keep the updates flowing.

Team Fred's dad owns Joes diesel in slc. Great place for sourcing parts and help.

Looks good

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

ChestonScout

Yesterday I got the pieces welded back up and got the angle iron tacked in place

I got some tread plate to fill in the sides of the new dovetail. Its 1/4" so it will act as a big gusset supporting the sides. In the center Im running square tube back up to the frame. It will bolt to the frame in a few spots and I think it will be overkill.

The tread plate will go down these tubes after connecting to the flatbed. These tubes will also support the hitch. The truck came with a big ol stand supporting a truck box. I cut the stand up and Im using the square tube for this part. Thats why there is black paint on them. Its 2x3" and 1/4" wall

ChestonScout

Jealous! I have wanted to do a semi for a while. Someday I will be that cool

what do you do when you are just outside of green river and blow a ujoint, or lose an alternator. No friend can bring a trailer and tow you home :eek:

hopefully I dont have to find out!!! The motor is pretty simple to work on. Everything really for that matter. Its all just big. I do know a few guys that own Semi trucks and worst case DEVEL on here is a big rig tow truck driver. Might turn my cheap wheelin trip into a spendy one. With the limited miles this truck will see the rest of its life, Im hopeful it will be a reliable tool

Might be on the budget parts side but your time is worth more than people will ever know.

Keep the updates flowing.

Team Fred's dad owns Joes diesel in slc. Great place for sourcing parts and help.

Looks good

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the heads up!

Hopefully the updates come QUICK. The car hauler has been sold already and Ive missed several wheeling trips because of it. Including WOTR. Im really wanting this truck usable by Easter