The 'What did I replace or fix on my motorcycle' thread

rholbrook

1993 Yamaha WR250Z 2 Stroke

image-3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Yesterday I began working on my newly acquired (FREE) 1993 Yamaha WR250Z two stroke. I originally thought it was a 2006 but after pulling the title out it said 1993. No heartbreak over that, as it was still FREE. Well, I pulled the tank because it had been sitting in a shed for atleast 3 years without running and I expected the tank to be in bad shape with mixed fuel in it. I was surprized to see that it had been drained and wasnt in bad shape. I had it steam cleaned just to be sure. While it was off and apart, I pulled the petcock apart and replaced all the seals inside of it. It did have some gunk in is so it got cleaned as well. Last Sunday I had made a list of obvious parts it needed and ordered them (THANKS CALEB).

After further inspection it has an FMF pipe and Boyesen Rad Valve. The boot between the original round slide carb and Rad Valve was in bad shape. I called Boyesen and got a new boot and gaskets coming. Hopefully they will be here tomorrow. I have not pulled the carb or Rad Valve yet to make sure the reeds are in good shape but I will tonight or tomorrow when I pull the carb to go through it and clean it. I bike has been in St George and I know my FIL never rejetted but it did come from Salt Lake originally so hopefully it is close. I have been looking for a flat slide that came out of the YZs.

Last night I pulled the forks that were in bad shape and cleaned them up, put in new seals and oil. Replaced the clutch cable, added some bark busters and bar risers. The front brake caliper has been leaking so I pulled it off and will get it cleaned up and put in a new seal kit that I had ordered from Caleb.

My plans are to be able to get it running by this weekend. I cant wait to give it a go.

Last edited:

rholbrook

2008 CRF150RB Expert

We sold Harrison's CRF150F late last fall and have been looking for a CRF150RB. This is a big wheel version of the 150R. His 150F tipped the scales at 223lbs wet. It was a pig for a 90lb kid to ride. The 150RB is supposed to be 187lbs dry and that 25-30lbs would make a huge difference for him not to mention the 150F motor is pretty docile.

Over Presidents weekend we headed south to go look at three 150RBs to only get there and finding out they were sold. Bummer

On the way home from St George this showed up.
image-4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
image-5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
The kid that owned it before rode it once and didnt like it as much as his ATVs so it sat. He did run it up and down the road in front of his house and that was obvious from the rear tire. This thing is spotless. I ordered a new rear tire for it but will wait on putting it on after a ride or two

Here it is with the Bark Busters on it.
image-7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

And our maiden ride last Saturday. I was going to put a REKLUSE in it for him but he asked that we hold off because he really wants to be able to use a clutch better. I can't argue with that. He stalled it right out of the parking lot, laughed and said that it wont happen again. I thought it was going to be a long day until he figures out how to ride that bike because it is a complete opposite of his 150F. The F model will lug like crazy, the R is wired like the 450s race bikes that many struggle to ride on single tracks.

Well, he rocked it. He as riding it like it was nothing. The parking lot was his only stall of the day. He was slower on it than he was on his F but he is trying to get a feel for it. These things are fast.

image-6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

Caleb

Well, I've done a fair amount the last week or two. New tires, new clutch cover, new front fender, added a GPR stabilizer, replaced my brake pedal with a billet one, added some orange bling :D, I broke my headlight so I replaced it with a new one, new wider foot pegs, removed my factory hand guards, ordered a new P3 carbon skid and a carbon heat shield, new grips, and then I dropped it at the dealer today to get the computer reflashed to the EU map. I still plan to add a sicass street legal kit, some highway dirt bike hand guards, replace all my switches with some nice HDB ones, and probably a better seat (my tail bone is permanently bruised...not kidding :( ).

Caleb

Nm. I called the Edge. It's only $40 to have them reflash it. I think I'll get that done soon.

Yep, you only pay for their time which is only a half hour. I actually called them right after the PM I sent you, when I found out it was only $40 I decided to get it done.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Replacing my voltage regulator because the old one when nuts and fried the battery and headlight. Going to replace the timing belt on the ol' Rotax as well :cool:

photo-29_zps426bec20.jpg

Cascadia

Undecided
Russ changed a clutch lever when we were out riding today on a friends wr250. He's always prepared. He carries a honda, Yamaha, and even a Ktm lever. Fun ride. Glad we beat the rain. Thanks for the invite!

rholbrook

Russ changed a clutch lever when we were out riding today on a friends wr250. He's always prepared. He carries a honda, Yamaha, and even a Ktm lever. Fun ride. Glad we beat the rain. Thanks for the invite!

I have been out too many times only to have someone crash and have to end the day early. They dont take up any room in the back pack and it makes the day so much more enjoyable when you can keep riding. It seems if you can carry the three brands of levers, you got everyone covered that I ride with.

rholbrook

Progress on the WR250Z. I got the bike put back together. I got the intake boot from Boyesen Saturday. It was waiting for me when I got back from riding with Tyson, Harrison and neighbor Justin. I pulled the carb, cleaned it real good, pulled the reed cage out and inspected it and put it all back together. I replaced the seat after recovering it, replaced the tank, new spark plur, added some mixed fuel, changed the oil in the case and got it ready to fire up. After turning on the fuel, pulling the choke and twisted the throttle a couple of times I gave it a kick. Took three kicks and it fired up after 3-4 years of sitting.

I let it warm up and then took it up and down the street a couple of times. Damn, its fast. I cant wait to try it out on the trail.

There is a knocking coming from the motor at idle. It goes away once you get going. It doesnt sound like piston slap. I called my FIL to see if he had heard it. He said it has knocked since day one and he couldnt find it. If it was bearings I would think it would have come apart by now. I dont know if its the power valve, clutch, lean detonation or what. Any ideas for me to look at? I know some two strokes are just noisier than others. My problem is, I am just weird about noises in general. I will pull a dash out of a vehicle just to find a rattle.

Moabxjeeper

I have been out too many times only to have someone crash and have to end the day early. They dont take up any room in the back pack and it makes the day so much more enjoyable when you can keep riding. It seems if you can carry the three brands of levers, you got everyone covered that I ride with.

You're going to need a Suzuki lever in there somewhere if you plan on convincing me to trail ride ;)

Cascadia

Undecided
I got my street legal kit installed today. I went with the SAR lighting kit. Everything worked out perfect and hooked up to all the factory connectors. Only issue I had was trying to place the rear blinkers. I wanted as little wiring exposed in the rear fender as possible. Got it worked out though. Put it all back together and fired it up to test everything. Nothing! I was pretty mad. So I reread the instructions and the last number says there is a double ended female connector (which I saw in the beginning) that connects the positive and negative together on the original push pull for the lights. I found the part, installed it but I still figured it wouldn't work with my luck. I was wrong. Everything worked. Lights are bright, horn is loud, and I can switch between a bright and normal headlight. Very happy with the kit. I will post pics later.

I also installed the trail tech ignition mapping switch which allows me to switch from stock to mild to wild. Looking forward to trying it out this weekend. Hopefully I can tell a difference.

Only thing that sucks about the kit is it made me realize I need 2 bikes. One for racing and more technical rides and one that is street legal and can do all the longer trails and connect on roads. I think a 300 is in my future. I don't want to race with all of the lights and everything else on it.

Last edited: