The 'What did I replace or fix on my motorcycle' thread

rholbrook

I put a new starter and set of BIBs and Bridgestones in Luke's old 300 tonight for Craig. Put a new battery in the KTM400XCW, drained the old gas and put in fresh gas. Runs good now. I also drained the old fuel from the TTR125, pulled the carb and cleaned it, put in a new front tube, throttle tube and hand grips. Planning on putting the TTR up for sale this weekend. I got a lot done. Just avoiding fixing my 300. I'm not looking forward to removing the broken kick starter bolt

Last edited:

Tan Comanche

Desert Speed Shock Tuning
Found the limits of my forks again...square edge hits at 70 nearly ended the day. Ordered up some racetech gold valves. I will finally tune it instead of settling for subpar performance.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I'm possibly going to pick up a yz250f. It ran low on oil and locked up. I have never worked on the internals of a newer (2008) 4stroke. Can anyone give me a most likely failure point, and rough cost to repair? I would most likely end up doing all bearings, and valves also.
In good running condition I think the bike is worth $2-2.5k at most.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I'm possibly going to pick up a yz250f. It ran low on oil and locked up.

You're probably looking at a minimum of new piston/rings, cams, valves, nikasil and crank mains/rod bearings. Hard to say in the bottom end. Usually the topend fries quick enough the bottom end comes out mostly ok but you never know.

Are you looking to flip it? At 2K I'm not sure there's going to be much (if any) to be made unless the bike is dirt cheap/free.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Are you looking to flip it? At 2K I'm not sure there's going to be much (if any) to be made unless the bike is dirt cheap/free.

I was thinking it would be a spare bike. Just another option if i wanted to ride it.
But, on the other hand if I had 2k in hand, I would not go out an buy this bike (if it were working) so by deductive reasoning, maybe I shouldn't be building it at all.

But if I can be $1k or so, it may be worth while.

D

Deleted member 12904

I'm possibly going to pick up a yz250f. It ran low on oil and locked up. I have never worked on the internals of a newer (2008) 4stroke. Can anyone give me a most likely failure point, and rough cost to repair? I would most likely end up doing all bearings, and valves also.
In good running condition I think the bike is worth $2-2.5k at most.

I would plan on new everything from the crank up. Likely will cost more then you are thinking. I've done a few 4 strokes and they are far from cheap to rebuild

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
It's alive. My initial impression is that the crank being as true as it is, makes this run a lot smoother. Very little vibration compared to a normal 300.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Spiced things up with a new fender and fork guards for the ol' ATK :cool:

FullSizeRender-2_zpsrbbp7zdb.jpg

Corban_White

Man I love that bike. I didn't realize how good it was until I've now been through 4 different bikes, none of which were as good as the 605. If it only had a 6th gear... Glad to see she's getting the love she deserves!

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
The KTM front fender looks good on there.

Thanks :cool: I was hesitant at first but the other plastics and seat are KTM so I figured why not. Wish I could safely get the yellow out of the tank now.

Man I love that bike. I didn't realize how good it was until I've now been through 4 different bikes, none of which were as good as the 605. If it only had a 6th gear... Glad to see she's getting the love she deserves!

Me too. I've had a lot of bikes over the years and the ATK is my favorite.

I've collected enough spare parts to make owning it less of a hassle. I've been looking for a spare fuel tank (just in case this one breaks) for years now and finally landed one last week :cool:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Most plastic tanks leech gas fumes thru the plastic and paint just won't stick with that going on. Same thing with stickers, overtime they get gooey and start to peel off.

rholbrook

Looks like I will be keeping my garage interior orange for atleast another year. Yamaha is not putting the magic button on the YZ250X smoker for 2017. Big disappointment here.

Cascadia

Undecided
That'll give you a year to drop 50 lbs. that way the 250 will have enough power for you. This will work out in yours and Jen's favor. Every 25 lbs is an inch lost. ;)