The Whole Enchilada bike trip, Columbus day 2019

sixstringsteve

Me, Tess, Little Dusty, and Fender will be coming. We will arrive Thursday night. We will be bringing another family too. We plan on riding various trails of various skill levels including:

Hymasa/ahab
Navajo rocks
Slickrock
Twe
Bike park
And whatever everyone else wants to do

Thanks for putting this together Corban.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Kami and girls are confirmed ?

I’m wanting to branch out from Klondike bluffs to get the girls out. Maybe the Brand Trails?

For sure. The Bar M loop around the outside is pretty easy stuff, just an old ranch road with a couple very small rock ledge/slickrock sections and one short sand trap on the north end. The Lazy-EZ trails are just a bit harder, but if they've ridden Klondike they shouldn't have too much trouble on Lazy-EZ.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Hey @Corban_White (resident snotel wizard), am I reading this correctly that there’s 4” of snow in the lasals? Is there a snotel site closer to burro pass?

Attachments

• 9453F489-2971-452A-B406-80011D030FAC.png
    9453F489-2971-452A-B406-80011D030FAC.png
    66.7 KB · Views: 6

Corban_White

Hey @Corban_White (resident snotel wizard), am I reading this correctly that there’s 4” of snow in the lasals? Is there a snotel site closer to burro pass?

That is what it says, but looking at the site page and clicking on the hourly report from the last 7 days shows that the snow water equivalent is negative. This leads me to believe that the snow depth sensor is malfunctioning, especially given the way that it is fluctuating up and down. Also, looking at the temperatures, it has not been below freezing once in the last 7 days so that gives me even more confidence that there is no snow.

The forecast (I know, there isn't a whole lot of faith to put towards that, but it's the best we've got) is looking great for this weekend, however, a dry cold front is coming through wed-thurs so it might be cool a few of the nights and our morning start at burro will likely require some layers.

@benjy, do you need us to bring some extra sleeping bags for the girls?

Corban_White

What a great weekend! We had a great group and (pretty) great weather. It was a little cold at first but by Monday it was amazing! Friday we went on a kids ride at Klondike Bluffs while Tess soloed Navajo Rocks.

00015IMG_00015_BURST20191011162929.jpg

00018IMG_00018_BURST20191011162929.jpg

00025XTR_00025_BURST20191011162929.jpg

My the kids had a great time and my daughter enjoyed sessioning this little drop in the parking lot. Unfortunately I couldn't catch her in the air but you can see by the wave form on the chain that she was... :cool:

IMG_20191011_170005.jpg

Little Dusty loved riding.

On Saturday (after we recovered from the 17° night...) we rode Ahab and those who still had legs finished out the day on Mag 5 while the rest of us rode the brand trails.

IMG_20191012_122559.jpg

IMG_20191012_121830.jpg

Some of the other guys have better photos/videos that they might post.

Sunday we hiked Corona Arch

IMG_20191013_171926462_HDR.jpg

IMG_20191013_174105315_HDR.jpg

And then Monday we rode TWE.

00010XTR_00010_BURST20191014171725.jpg

I have ridden TWE, 9, maybe 10 times. Here is my take on it. First, I ride Corner Canyon, AF Canyon quite a bit. I put in 57K feet of climbing last year. I can easily ride 10 to 15 miles of corner canyon with 1500ft of climb. I don't really like the WHOLE Enchilada. The climb over burro is taxing and the reward is limited. It's good to do but I would and did start out from Warner lake the first time, then work up to dropping off at Burro pass. If you are taking a shuttle, this might not be an option depending on conditions.

For me, starting at Warner is the best of all worlds. It takes the big climb out at the start and you still get 90% of the fun stuff. I have taken about a dozen guys in their 30's that are decent riders (not kids with endless energy mind you) and they are wiped out by the bottom. You look at all that elevation loss on paper and it seems way easier than it is. Ahab is the equivalent to the top 1/3 of TWE if you start at warner in energy expenditure.

That said it is THE funnest ride I have ever done. Make sure you take a lot of water and spare tubes. I don't think we have ever made it to the bottom without a tire/tube failure. Even running Maxxis DHF's tubeless we've lost side walls. Have fun. I'll be watching this thread and hopefully I'll be able to tag along.

I agree with pretty much everything here, but I am glad I didn't listen. It was awesome to ride the whole thing but the fun factor was lower on the first half. However, I wouldn't even start at Warner in the future, I will start at Kokopelli or Jimmy Keen and ride down from there. Neither side of Burro was very fun (except for the lower half of the downhill, once you cross the creek) and Hazard wasn't all that enjoyable either. My wife met us for lunch at porcupine rim campground (super amazing to have hot lunch and cold drinks, highly recommend) and the rest of the trail was a blast after that. Great friends and great riding!