There goes the neighborhood...

DAA

So I guess starting in a month SxS's are allowed in the national parks.

Have to wait and see how horrible it really is. But, just the thought of hearing the constant, all day, never ending, buzzing of those things, around somewhere like The Maze, is a gut punch.

There are already a lot of places I don't go anymore because I can't stand to hear them all day. There WERE a few places I go mainly because I DON'T hear them. Guess they win.

- DAA

The_Lobbster

That sucks. I typically avoid national parks anyways because of how many people there is. I prefer to do some digging, and find back country that's just as pretty or even better than some national parks, then explore that, because there's typically less restrictions to do that too.

Homefryy

That sucks. I typically avoid national parks anyways because of how many people there is. I prefer to do some digging, and find back country that's just as pretty or even better than some national parks, then explore that, because there's typically less restrictions to do that too.

The thing is a lot of National Parks have remote areas that aren't popular where you can get away from people. This is going to ruin that.

I also can't imagine what this will do to already overcrowded and crazy parking lots in the popular areas.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
I agree with what Shawn said (there’s a first), but this isn’t news. SXS’s have been allowed in Grand Canyon NP for years, and Canyonlands has been trying to get approval for the last few years as well.

I do believe that they just can’t open them all up though. Places like Yellowstone, Arches, and Yosemite that are overcrowded and mostly paved should be off limits.

It’s not all doom and gloom though. Utah is going to require out of state people to purchase a $35 off-road tag per machine (even though I’m Street legal there). If things get out of hand there, you probably need to talk to your neighbors. I guess the couple of grand I might spend a week there when I’m vacationing with friends isn’t quite enough.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
The thing is a lot of National Parks have remote areas that aren't popular where you can get away from people. This is going to ruin that.

I also can't imagine what this will do to already overcrowded and crazy parking lots in the popular areas.

Ya, I was going to say, he obviously haven't spent much time in the Maze or Needles.

Reactions: DAA

Caleb

I'm with Shawn, a SxS owner and I love getting out in our SxS with my family. Probably more so than I've ever enjoyed getting out in a 4x4. However, the only thing this is going to do is generate more revenue, but the cost at doing that is going to be both more actual $$$ but also the noise and irreparable damage to the parks. I really don't understand why they would want this.

Reactions: DAA

DAA

If I read it correctly, this is "special" and only applies to the five parks in Utah.

Will just have to see how it plays out in real life.

Having them around out in The Maze though, really, truly, gonna just destroy the experience for me. That's if they stay where they are supposed to. They start going off the road out there and it's going to destroy the experience for everyone, not just silence seekers like myself. And the park service has already said they don't have the resources to even try to keep them in line out there.

Hope for the best. But expect the worst.

- DAA

The_Lobbster

Camped up AF canyon a couple weeks ago at Granite Flats campground. Around 1:30 AM a bunch of motorcycles and SXS' came SHREDDING through the campground, woke up our entire group. Had I been up and out of the tent at the time, I would have been tempted to huck a few rocks at them. It's unfortunate that 90% of SXS owners think they're the shizz because they own one. I hope that these clowns are still restricted in the NP's somewhat and not allowed just absolutely everywhere.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Having them around out in The Maze though, really, truly, gonna just destroy the experience for me. That's if they stay where they are supposed to. They start going off the road out there and it's going to destroy the experience for everyone, not just silence seekers like myself. And the park service has already said they don't have the resources to even try to keep them in line out there.

I hate to say it, but this is going to get places like The Maze closed to vehicular travel. Going off what we see elsewhere, SXS users by and large ignore rules and etiquette, which means they will be going off trail and acting like general ass-clowns. With the NPS already so strapped for cash, they'll just shut trails down rather than try to enforce the rules.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Bounty system, charge a huge fine ($1000) for bad behaviors and give half of it to those who provide prosecutors with enough evidence/video to convict.

A weekend at Sand mountain/Moab you could net $20k...

Personally I would find an idiot and follow them around for the day documenting multiple offenses so they get a fine for each, and I would pocket a reward for each,

Heck thinking about how the game is played the state would collect their portion of the fine and then charge me income tax on what they pay me, it is a win win for the state and maybe we can slow this sh!t show down...