There goes the neighborhood...

DAA

What would you suggest? There was no public input on this. No comment period or anything like that. Just marching orders handed down to the Utah national park supervisors. Although, personally I think public comment periods are just eye wash anyway - they never change anything. They are just to let people blow off steam and start getting used to the idea of whatever decisions have already been made and aren't going to be changed based on any input from the public. But in this case they aren't even pretending to listen.

So, yeah, I'm just gonna bitch about it.

- DAA

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Part of me thinks this would be great if they stayed on the road, didn't throw a muffler on that you can hear 5 miles away, and behaved like a normal vehicle. I have a feeling things will change when the a minivan and a side-by-side plays a game of chicken and nobody flinches. I kind of look at this like Yellowstone by snowmobile, pretty soon there are going to be enough restrictions it's no longer going to be fun.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Ya'll are gonna sit around and bitch online rather than lifting one finger away from your keyboard to try to make a difference. #realtalk

Hi @SAMI ,
Would you like us to inventory the hours/days volunteered for land use for the last 25+ years or should we post a pic of every piece of litter we pick up with hashtag #BeardyMcGee so you can properly monitor us?

I am trying to decide if you are trying to be funny or a random bitter d!ck... ? :rolleyes:

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Hey, we are still waiting for your #realtalk @SAMI

Whats your original thought/comment?

Enlighten us oh “grown up” one. ?

You pretend you have the balls to call everyone/DAA out then whine that you have your feelings hurt.

#impressive (well, not really)

Oh, and if by cool club you mean people who have the balls to back a statement up with original thoughts, pay dues to organizations like the U4WDA association, volunteer at events the are actively fighting to keep public lands open, then yeah I would say those guys are pretty cool.

Last edited:

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Hey, we are still waiting for your #realtalk @SAMI

Whats your original thought/comment?

Enlighten us oh “grown up” one. ?

You pretend you have the balls to call everyone/DAA out then whine that you have your feelings hurt.

#impressive (well, not really)

Oh, and if by cool club you mean people who have the balls to back a statement up with original thoughts, pay dues to organizations like the U4WDA association, volunteer at events the are actively fighting to keep public lands open, then yeah I would say those guys are pretty cool.

Lol, I knew you'd mention U4WDA; an organization that does more for your pin collection than keeping land open - let alone working with land managers.

Based on your responses discussion with you is not worth my time @Jinx. Have a great day. X-D

Houndoc

Keep in mind this is a product of state legislation that legalized use of "street legal" ATVs/SXS on county roads. Ironically it is the NPS coming in compliance with state law, something I suspect most hear would normally applaud.

If you want something to change, reach out to your state legislator and have a heart to heart chat with them.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
If you want something to change, reach out to your state legislator and have a heart to heart chat with them.

Exactly. ?

Unfortunately some in this group who are passionate about this issue, and rightfully so, have already tossed in the towel and decided to just bitch online about it. ?‍♂️

DAA

It was brought on by threat of a lawsuit.

Unless you think the state laws in question here, which are about making money, are going to be changed to make less money, talking to your rep will be about as productive as writing a letter to Sandy Claws.

Pound your chest all you want but I'm not interested in fantasy bullshit.

- DAA

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Unfortunately some in this group who are passionate about this issue, and rightfully so, have already tossed in the towel and decided to just bitch online about it. ?‍♂️

Jason, you're a smart guy and have done a ton for the land use community. You and I have dug a lot of post holes side by side over the years, but sometimes people just need to bitch and there's nothing wrong with that. Sometimes it even leads to real action; as we have seen before right here on RME.

The way that this happened left little that we could do on the front end. Now were left with few actionable options at the moment. SXS's are allowed on county roads, that's the law. So now we have to deal with the consequences. I've always been a huge supporter of education as a way to limit damage. And I feel in the 20 or so years I've been actively involved in the land use fight, we've come a long way in that realm in the full-size world. But with the explosion of SXS's, a lot of that work is getting washed away. Not to say that SXS owners are all dicks or don't want to learn about proper land use; its just that when something like this happens so fast, it takes time for the world to adjust to it.

So if we want to do more than just bitch about it (or troll people bitching about it); what are our options? I'm not aware of many active SXS clubs, but I don't know if there are. I've kinda placed SXS's in the same column as ATV's, people treat them as disposable toys and don't really see the value in a community. If there is, what are their thoughts on this? Is there a way to reach out to owners? Can the NPS require education on proper trail etiquette in order to get a permit? They don't currently for OHV's, but can this change? There are a good number SXS folks here on RME, time to resurrect the RME Training Days and have some focus on SXS's? I haven't been to SLOREX the past couple of years, but they seemed to focus on this group, anyone know what or if they are planning on doing something?

Its great and fun to bitch/vent/troll, but at the end of the day we're all on the same side here.

Last edited:

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Funny you should mention the RME Training Day idea. I was thinking about how much time a select group on here put into those, and how many folks turned out to learn; it was impressive. I'm not sure how to implement a SXS training day plan from the perspective of full-size 4x4 guys, as that type of care/education would be best done within that user community. I get it, the SXS group as a whole does very little to police itself and the majority of users have no clue about land management/use. I'm balls deep in training efforts outside of anything RME is doing, as you know of course, and have zero bandwidth to tackle SXS based training - unless that group wanted to tap into what some of us are working on currently.

And yes, SLOREX was most definitely the SXS show the last few years. When it comes to SXS I have little optics/experience into what type of groups/clubs that user group offers locally. Some of your questions ought to be answered by guys in this thread who run SXS.