Thermal imaging cameras?

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Any one have experience with thermal imaging cameras?
I would like to get one, but they are $$$$$. Amazon/Ebay/Etc sells cheaper versions for $200ish.. but I am afraid that they may not work well enough to be worth while.
I think I prefer a hand held unit over the phone attachments... but I guess I don't have a real reason for it.
Your thoughts?

DAA

Premium Member
Supporting Member
I used to use a FLIR camera to spot check electrical panels and such. Pretty neat but also pretty piss poor resolution for the $. The one I was using was about $5k.

More recently I've used some Trijicon thermal scopes night hunting that have much better imaging and resolution, but still piss poor resolution(640). They have built in video recording too. Pretty amazing, like having a super power at night. But they are $10k (and not mine).

Just depends what you need from it but I'd have to think any thermal imaging device priced in the hundreds would be awfully weak sauce.

- DAA

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I used to use a FLIR camera to spot check electrical panels and such. Pretty neat but also pretty piss poor resolution for the $. The one I was using was about $5k.

More recently I've used some Trijicon thermal scopes night hunting that have much better imaging and resolution, but still piss poor resolution(640). They have built in video recording too. Pretty amazing, like having a super power at night. But they are $10k (and not mine).

Just depends what you need from it but I'd have to think any thermal imaging device priced in the hundreds would be awfully weak sauce.

- DAA
I am using it for heat loss or water leaks in homes. So super good resolution is not an issue.. but better would be good. I almost passed out when you said $5k is garbage :(

DAA

Premium Member
Supporting Member
That was awhile ago but yeah, that thing was 5k for 320 resolution! Worked great for what I was doing though and would have been good for you want too I bet. Has to be a lot less now I'd think. But still more than a few hundred I'm sure.

- DAA

gatchmo5710

I have the new Snap On handheld thermal image camera. Around 1000 bucks. Works great. Never used it solve anything but its fun to look at hot objects.... probably should have bought something useful though

astjp2

I have a Palmer Whal, it was 8K new, if you have not had any training to use them, they can be a pain to understand if they are accurate. yes, they are the same guys who build the clippers...

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
how about a $199 phone camera from FLIR

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I have done a lot of reading today. It looks like the $399 Flir one PRO is the best bang for the buck. It has double the resolution of the non-pro cameras, and because it runs on an app on your phone it has many additional features that a held held can't do. It has a dual camera system to help overlay your heat photo with the original to make very clear photos. a MAJOR downside for me is that the battery only lasts for about 1 hour :mad:. That seems silly low to me.

There is a hand held unit that is no longer produced, the i7. It's a $2500 camera, and can be bought used for around $500. It has the same resolution as the Pro phone camera. I have a bid on one on Ebay. We'll see what happens.

Tonkaman

I had a home energy audit done last month. The guy used the version that plugs into his iPhone and I thought it worked great! It was nice to overlay the actual photo with the thermal photos so you could easily identify where the problems lie. As far as home inspection use it was plenty good.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I had a home energy audit done last month. The guy used the version that plugs into his iPhone and I thought it worked great! It was nice to overlay the actual photo with the thermal photos so you could easily identify where the problems lie. As far as home inspection use it was plenty good.
Yeah, my searching all started because of you. It's only fair that you pay for half of whatever I buy.

4x4_Welder

I have a Cat S61 phone, it has a built in Flir camera. I needed a phone, did quite a bit of research on rugged phones, and now have had this one almost a year. It's been worthwhile as a diagnostic tool, much faster than a laser thermometer or voltage drop tests to find high resistance spots too.

muleskinner

I have a Trijicon Reap-IR that is amazing. Probably not what you want at $8K though...

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I was about to buy a camera, but my neighbor showed up with one. I have learned a couple things:
-It was a LOT of fun to play with, for about 20 min. After that I had seen what I needed, and it really wasn't super exciting. I am glad I didn't spend the bucks on one of my own. If I need one in the future, renting one for a day is probably the way to go.
-My house is much more efficient than I had anticipated. We have 1 major spot to repair (where the ceiling fell in years ago, and was never re-insulated) and just a couple air leaks in 2 windows (which I could already see and feel)

Overall I am glad I checked it all. Good information to have.