Thinking about a cheap Mazda Miata track car

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
So I found a beat-up 1991 Miata for sale near by for several hundred dollars.... it does have a salvaged title, the interior and body (paint, mostly) are BEAT. It does have a swap to a 1997 Miata engine, which is a good improvement.

Last year I took my TDI Jetta to our local road race track and had an absolute BLAST.... seriously some of the most fun I've had in a car. Miata's are incredible track cars, light weight, near perfect 50/50 weight ratio, etc. Plus, we have Flyin' Miata in our back yard and I've dealt with those people before and they're great. I'm thinking about picking up this Miata to make a weekend track car, it already has a salvaged title... so not too much worry about destroying it! :rofl:

I was looking around and it's not too difficult to do a DIY turbo on these and the '97 engine is ideal for boost with it's lower compression ratio compared to other engines. With a turbo, these engines are capable of 200-250 HP which is more than enough to make a 1,900 pound car quick!

I don't think I'd even consider a Miata, but my test ride in the turbo-charged Flyin' Miata car changed my mind... - https://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?57516-Milner!-Miata-talk

Greg

Admin
I have considered & looked at a LSx swap, but the costs are high for what you get.... I'd rather have a 2nd Gen Camaro with a LSx. The Miata is cheap, would prefer to keep it that way.... even more so with a salvaged title.

Greg

Admin
Do it! I want to drive it though, so that's the cost of my approval. :D

I would LOVE to eventually haul it up to Utah Motorsports Campus for a Wide Open Wednesday track session... they don't allow passengers, so I guess you'd have to drive it on your own. :p

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Do it.
I absolutely love my Miata. Most entertaining car I've ever owned, it just eats up corners and is just a blast to drive around town even.
The 1.8L motor is a great upgrade, I'd just stick with that rather than doing a V8 swap because that kills the weight balance. You can pick up the larger rear diff out of a 1.8L car too, which is a little sturdier and there are more LSD options for them.

BlueWolfFab

Running Behind
I have some badass ideas for a VW Golf track car. Low buck, completely unique (only seen one done like it before) and with a suspension that actually uses G-force in a corner to make both the tires AND body lean into the corner, like a motorcycle. But, I'm way out of time for another project right now.

[video=youtube_share;7k_LCy3OhSY]https://youtu.be/7k_LCy3OhSY[/video]

Last edited:

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I would LOVE to eventually haul it up to Utah Motorsports Campus for a Wide Open Wednesday track session... they don't allow passengers, so I guess you'd have to drive it on your own. :p

You're welcome to crash at my place if you do.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
rather than doing a V8 swap because that kills the weight balance.

This notion was started by the haters--oops, I mean purists --and it is still often thrown about by those who have not actually weighed a V8 Miata. As it turns out, the typical 302/T5 swapped Miata ends up with a 52/48 weight distribution. This hardly affects the balance of the car, as anyone who has actually driven a V8 Miata will attest.

Some day I hope to complete my car.

Greg

Admin
Do it.
I absolutely love my Miata. Most entertaining car I've ever owned, it just eats up corners and is just a blast to drive around town even.
The 1.8L motor is a great upgrade, I'd just stick with that rather than doing a V8 swap because that kills the weight balance. You can pick up the larger rear diff out of a 1.8L car too, which is a little sturdier and there are more LSD options for them.

I want to.... went and looked at the car I'm talking about, had some 2nd thoughts. This car is BEAT, the owner is sticking to $700 and I don't think it's worth paying $500 for. The real kicker is the salvaged title, but I couldn't really tell where it was damaged and the wreck happened before he had it. I forgot how tight those cars are inside, I know you're a tall guy too but there isn't much room to move! I didn't pick it up.... if he comes down to $500, I'd think about it.

00Q0Q_aS9Vx95RGgs_1200x900.jpg

I have some badass ideas for a VW Golf track car. Low buck, completely unique (only seen one done like it before) and with a suspension that actually uses G-force in a corner to make both the tires AND body lean into the corner, like a motorcycle. But, I'm way out of time for another project right now.

[video=youtube_share;7k_LCy3OhSY]https://youtu.be/7k_LCy3OhSY[/video]

:cool: That thing is crazy! Full on rally car... would love to see it work around a track!

You're welcome to crash at my place if you do.

Thanks! I would love to get some track-time in at that place, no matter what car.... even my DD Jetta! Would much better in a 500 HP '71 Camaro... but....

This notion was started by the haters--oops, I mean purists --and it is still often thrown about by those who have not actually weighed a V8 Miata. As it turns out, the typical 302/T5 swapped Miata ends up with a 52/48 weight distribution. This hardly affects the balance of the car, as anyone who has actually driven a V8 Miata will attest.

Some day I hope to complete my car.

:cool:

The Flyin' Miata guys said a LSx changes the weight balance by 1%!

Greg

Admin
I wouldn't care about the salvage title, it's a track car. New tires would total it.

Yeah, my thought is that once I put better wheels/tires on it, some suspension upgrades and then the turbo, you have a good bit of money into a worthless car. :rofl: I'd just feel better if I paid less than $700.

Badger

I am the Brute squad

Being a bit of a VW head there are actually a few VW's around in Europe that have been made rear engine. I have always thought of doing it as well. With the newer transmissions that use the cable style shifters it would be easy. There was a red one that used to terrorize tracks all around Europe. Back in the day of forums before facebook killed them all off I got to read several write ups on people creating some nice cars. Granted none of them had crazy suspension that allowed it to lean in that manner.

Greg

Admin
Being a bit of a VW head there are actually a few VW's around in Europe that have been made rear engine. I have always thought of doing it as well. With the newer transmissions that use the cable style shifters it would be easy. There was a red one that used to terrorize tracks all around Europe. Back in the day of forums before facebook killed them all off I got to read several write ups on people creating some nice cars. Granted none of them had crazy suspension that allowed it to lean in that manner.

Could you imagine a mid-engine VW with a turbo VR6 engine? Where's the 'drool' smilie??!