Thinking about a Chevy Astro Van for light camping/offroad adventures...

sixstringsteve

School me on the AWD Chevy Astro/GMC. I worked for a music store that used three of them for cargo vans and they all had over 300k without major work needed. After a little bit of research, this is what I've found:

* 15-23 mpg depending on lots of things.
* the newer ones have a vortec 4.3 and get worse mileage than the old ones
* tranny rebuilds are common around 150k

I had a few questions:

* Which ones came with the limited slip?
* What years are the most desirable/reliable?
* How reliable are these vans?
* Any other experience/thoughts on these?
* Are these basically a van built on an S10 platform?

And what thread would be complete without some pics?
van1.jpgvan2.jpgvan3.jpgvan4.jpg

Kevin B.

Big hippy
I don't know any specifics, but I know my buddy in Moab uses nothing but these for his business. I'm guessing they're the burliest thing he can afford a fleet of that isn't a truck or SUV.

They're body on frame and solid rear axle, right?

sixstringsteve

I think the front half is body on frame and the rear half is unibody. Can anyone confirm?

I don't need a rear frame. I've come to the conclusion that my version of "expedition" is car camping on a dirt road away from an established campsite. I wouldn't be taking this thing on Hole in the Rock or Hell's Revenge, so I don't need a frame. I won't be lifting it, it'll just be a DD/weekend getaway vehicle that'll be comfortable to drive on the freeway for long distances. I can imagine throwing the mountain bikes in the back, or kayaks on top, or whatever and just heading out to explore.

Last edited:

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
He's done so much work to that thing himself, I don't think you'll find a more knowledgeable person on everything Astro Van. I am pretty sure all upgrades to the vehicle were done with GM parts... there's even a little Corvette in there somewhere.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
body on frame only under the front. Unibody rear. Yes.

All I know is a dirtbike won't fit in one standing up. And they often got the same crappy 7.5" ring gear 10bolt rear that the s-10's got.... my old co-worker had one blow up the rear.
He drove it for deliveries only.

mileage with the AWD was 14-17 at best.

sixstringsteve

a tercel isn't big enough for my needs anyway. And good call about being mistaken for a hippie in a Subaru. Might as well keep the runner at that point...