thinking about selling my junk

onetuff76

Guard Rail Tester
So I'm debating selling my junk. Heard that highboys up in MT are going for about $10K if they're in good shape. So I'm thinking go take out $2000 drop a new engine in it then drive it up there and sell it. Assuming I'm able to do that I'll probably be buying a 99 or newer tacoma to replace it. Hopefully I'll be able to resist the temptation of doing to many mods to the tacoma and just use it as a dd until I can afford to buy a project rig.

onetuff76

Guard Rail Tester
yep if I can get out of it what I owe I'll be happy. I'm even debating parting it out if I can't get what I want for it whole. I figure I can get into a used TRD for about $11500, or I'm even debating leasing a new one and then just buying after the lease is up as I should be in a better financial situation then.

TK1

Full Mall Crawler Status
onetuff76 said:
yep if I can get out of it what I owe I'll be happy. I'm even debating parting it out if I can't get what I want for it whole. I figure I can get into a used TRD for about $11500, or I'm even debating leasing a new one and then just buying after the lease is up as I should be in a better financial situation then.

As someone who just recently bought out a leased vehicle, DON'T Lease! (especially if you are planning to wheel it)
Leases are ok for people that just drive cars and want a new one every few years but really aren't that great for buying out at the end. I would just find a good used TRD Taco that you can afford and buy it. IMHO you'll be better off in the end, trust me.

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
How well have you reasearched the Montana Highboy market? What does good shape mean? While that is one of my favorite pickup styles(I prefer the 77.5-79 lowboy drivetrain however) and I could see spending 10,000 or more on a perfect and I mean perfect complete restoration(did I say it would have to be flawless), I have a hard time beleiving a 3-4000 dollar truck can fetch 10,000 in Montana.

Caleb

bobdog said:
How well have you reasearched the Montana Highboy market? What does good shape mean? While that is one of my favorite pickup styles(I prefer the 77.5-79 lowboy drivetrain however) and I could see spending 10,000 or more on a perfect and I mean perfect complete restoration(did I say it would have to be flawless), I have a hard time beleiving a 3-4000 dollar truck can fetch 10,000 in Montana.

those are my same thoughts...

onetuff76

Guard Rail Tester
I'm a bit weary myself of the $10k price, but if its true I won't complain. I haven't gotten my hopes up to high yet about the deal but we'll see.

onetuff76

Guard Rail Tester
Well seeing as how you're seeing less and less high boys in good shape I am thinking it might have reached its turning point in value. I know about 4 years ago unfinished beds with little or no rust were going for about $1500.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
onetuff76 said:
Well seeing as how you're seeing less and less high boys in good shape I am thinking it might have reached its turning point in value. I know about 4 years ago unfinished beds with little or no rust were going for about $1500.
Don't get me wrong, I love these trucks....but 10k is a little too hard for me to swallow.

onetuff76

Guard Rail Tester
mainly selling because of gas mileage, just need something thats a bit more economical to drive, especially for grad school if I end up going.

StrobeNGH

no user title
I sold my F-250 for the same reason, but I bought a WRX instead . . .
Where are you going to grad school at? I am in Pittsburgh, and there is mass transit galore, which means that getting rid of the truck for 'gas mileage' was unnecessary.
I doubt you will get $10k out of it, especially with your comment about needing to replace the engine. :ugh:
Price out exactly what the condition and shape the truck must be in to get $10K, personally I think that is really pushing it!
Like was said before, the truck would have to be in pristine shape.
Most buy the '76 for the axles . . . If they want that body so bad, go with a '77 and just replace the front axle.
Put some more research into this before getting rid of the truck.

ace

Parts Collector
I drove my popinlaws Tacoma today. It's nice and all, but a 6'2" big guy just doesn't fit in one. I pushed the seat all the way back, reclined a little and still had a hard time jamming it in 1st with my knee crammed into the steering wheel. Something to consider. :sick:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
ace said:
I drove my popinlaws Tacoma today. It's nice and all, but a 6'2" big guy just doesn't fit in one. I pushed the seat all the way back, reclined a little and still had a hard time jamming it in 1st with my knee crammed into the steering wheel. Something to consider. :sick:

I am 6'1" and I feel completely comfortable in my Taco... :D

The do have tilt steering... ;)

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
ace said:

Was it a reg cab? I drove a Ext Cab yesterday and at 6' 4" I had plenty of room.