Thinking of selling my 500

Caleb

I’ve been thinking more and more and I think I’m going to list my 500 for sale once I get home. I never use it, bought it new a couple years ago and I think I’ve literally put 15-20 hours on it. Most of my weekends we spend at our cabin and cruising around in our rzr as a family. I used to would go ride my previous bikes after work but haven’t had the desire to do that in the last couple years.

Am I crazy? Should I give it one more season? I’ve also thought about going back to a 2 stroke but it would probably sit around just the same.

If anyone knows anyone looking for a never used, well cared for Husky 500 send them my way. I’ll also be selling my enclosed trailer I bought for it that’s only been used slightly more than the bike if I do sell.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
If you aren't riding it and don't have the interest, then let it go. I understand the RZR as being easier to get out with the family.... part of growing up, I guess!

Tonkaman

I do remember being quite jealous when you brought her home.

As long as you don’t have plans to get another bike down the road, then just sell it.

If it were me, I’d keep it and plan 1 or 2 big rides a year with it. Epic stuff like continental divide, Baja, or similar

Caleb

I think the reason I haven’t already gotten rid of it is for the very reason that there are a couple big rides I’d love to do again. HITR being one, the ride Greg and I did (Moab to Fruita and back to Moab) being another. I’d also live to do some of the big rides like the continental divide, etc. even if I get rid of it, I’m certain this won’t be the last bike I own, I just have a hard time when my stuff sits around doing nothing. Same reason I sold my last 500, or my first Tundra...which I ended up buying both of those things again a few years later and a few years newer.

Tonkaman

In that case just keep it. You’ll never buy a new bike just to do one of those rides, but if you already have the bike you may actually plan one.

Caleb

If I get a 2 stroke it’ll be a new 300 (or I’ve often thought it would be fun to have a 200 as well).

rholbrook

I will own another 4 stroke because I am going to ride Baja. My 300 won't stay together probably, or at least that is what I have been told. I will always own a 300 but I have heard some rumors from an employee at the Yamaha store I frequent that there has been some talk about a blue 500 smoker with a magic button. I highly doubt Yamaha is even thinking about that so I have written it off as a fantasy that will never happen.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Russ don't believe the hype: plenty of folks take and ride 2 strokes in Baja.
Kawasaki won every single Baja 1000 championship from 1988 to 1996 on KX500 two strokes.

Crazy fact: Ty Davis was on a team that won Baja on a bike overall 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996
AND

They'll hold together the same there as here, just jet correctly.
If anything they're less fussy about dirty fuel. I had to clean my injector a number or times desert racing that YZ450f.