Thinking out loud, next build

pkrfctr

My friend just got back from Michigan where he spent the last month doing tuning while driving a JL and JT 3.0 diesel for the last month. BTW he averaged 30 MPG in the JT and 28 in the JL. Anyway its got me thinking and I wanted to get your input.
I'm thinking my next build could be one of two things which I'll outline below. This won't happen for awhile as I'm still buried in the last build.
looking for suggestions between the two and shop suggestions, anywhere in the country to build it.
option 1; JL 3.0 diesel very similar to my Jk. So why switch to a JL? Well everything I don't like about my JK they fixed in the JL.
40-42" Tires
1 ton axles with ARB's
4 speed atlas
flat belly
rear gas tank
long arm suspension with joints above frame
ORI shocks
approx. 5" lift

option 2 - pansy buggy (same thing as above but starting with a tube frame rather than JL)
4 door buggy with a/c, heat, radio, and 5 seats
v8 probably an LS.
I know this is atypical but wheeling with my family is a deal breaker.
built similar to above

questions
which route would be more cost effective?
Can a buggy be built with 4 doors and and 'comforts'?
general thoughts
shops that could do either?

Last edited:

Caleb

I've always thought a fun build would be to build a jeep "from scratch" using a custom frame, aluminum tub, a nice modern v8, atlas, etc. I remember MANY years ago, one of the UROC competitors had an aluminum tub Jeep that was narrowed (it was a green color). Basically it would be a buggy with a body. I think it would be what your option 2 describes or maybe a combo of both of your options.

EDIT: I think the green jeep was Curt Hildebrand's from the 2001-2002ish era.

Last edited:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I've always thought a fun build would be to build a jeep "from scratch" using a custom frame, aluminum tub, a nice modern v8, atlas, etc. I remember MANY years ago, one of the UROC competitors had an aluminum tub Jeep that was narrowed (it was a green color). Basically it would be a buggy with a body. I think it would be what your option 2 describes or maybe a combo of both of your options.

EDIT: I think the green jeep was Curt Hildebrand's from the 2001-2002ish era.

This would be what I'd do if I sold everything and started over.
-"buggy" chassis configured to be able to add a tub on/around
-CJ8 or TJ Unlimited tub & cowl
-6.0L or 6.2L "LS" motor with an auto and an Atlas II
-3 link front/4 link triangulated rear
-Super Duty axles (for cheap strength)

Focus would be on streetability. It'd do trails just fine with those parts. Make it drive nice and get rid of the tow rig/trailer (right :rolleyes: )

Caleb

Something along those lines, except narrowed wouldn't work. I need 3 seat belts In the back seat.
Makes total sense. If I am remembering correctly, his was dovetailed and all the width was removed in the wheel wells so a fullsize Jeep Bench still fit in it. However, fitting 3 belts on a Jeep bench would be tight.

LJTim

I already told you this, but I'll say it again. Keep your jeep, and buy your wife her grand charokee.

What bugs you about your current jeep?

If you're dead set on building something new, there are some things to think about with the JL.

1. They are SOO techy. I have 3 friends with JL's and they take them to the dealer to get computers reset more often than oil changes. All the sensors and computers are super annoying.

2. They are pretty dang tough. While 1 ton axles might be on your build list, they might not be necessary right off the bat, or ever. With the Rubicon models they have the 220 Dana 44's which are almost as tough as a 60 in some ways, and tougher in others. The pinion is actually bigger. I have a friend that wheels his on 40" Pats and loves it. My point in this, is the JL is a great jeep to build along the way, and still be super capable. Basic 3" lift and 40's (if you modify the flares) and you'll be doing all the trails you are currently doing.

Something else to think about on those long arms. There is not much room between the frame rails... I mean ANY. I just put an Artec skid on my friend's JL and everything is packed in there like sardines. So you definitely won't be able to triangulate anything, but maybe you weren't planning on that anyway. Evo makes a decent kit with the brackets that sit outside the frame rails. Is that what you mean by "above the frame?" I'd call them more flush than above.

pkrfctr

The interior of the JL is way nicer which the wife loves. A/c vents are in the right place, grocery bag hooks, better seats, grab handles, better windows its a good list of improvements for us pansies wheelers. Still trying to decide between the atlas and GC for the wifes car, not making any progress on that front......
No question the sensors and computers are a pain. Same with the JK but I'm sure its worse with the JL. Although I've seen with the proper engineering sensors are happy. I've only tripped one in 2 years (in Vernal) and its because I crushed a speed sensor wire in the rear coil.
I struggle to believe D44 will hold up to 40's with the wheeling I do, maybe short term but I'm after bombproof. Remember I'm running a dually full float 14 bolt rear now.
As for room- the things a limo, tons of room. After you move the tank and exhaust and spend a few hundred hours in CAD those arms should fit no problem. I'd be after similar to what I have now, dogleg arms mounted flush with the bottom of the frame rails. So lowest part is frame rail tire to tire and rail to rail, just like mine now. Of course I haven't seen under a diesel JL yet but will soon......

Attachments

• 20170716_002044.jpg
    20170716_002044.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 19

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
The interior of the JL is way nicer which the wife loves. A/c vents are in the right place, grocery bag hooks, better seats, grab handles, better windows its a good list of improvements for us pansies wheelers. Still trying to decide between the atlas and GC for the wifes car, not making any progress on that front......
No question the sensors and computers are a pain. Same with the JK but I'm sure its worse with the JL. Although I've seen with the proper engineering sensors are happy. I've only tripped one in 2 years (in Vernal) and its because I crushed a speed sensor wire in the rear coil.
I struggle to believe D44 will hold up to 40's with the wheeling I do, maybe short term but I'm after bombproof. Remember I'm running a dually full float 14 bolt rear now.
As for room- the things a limo, tons of room. After you move the tank and exhaust and spend a few hundred hours in CAD those arms should fit no problem. I'd be after similar to what I have now, dogleg arms mounted flush with the bottom of the frame rails. So lowest part is frame rail tire to tire and rail to rail, just like mine now. Of course I haven't seen under a diesel JL yet but will soon......

You need to let the wife come ride in the CJ next time we are out and then she will think the JK interior is just fine.... :D

Bart

You need to let the wife come ride in the CJ next time we are out and then she will think the JK interior is just fine.... :D

Exactly the reason that I'm in a JK now. Seriously, I'll get the 1 tons in the JK and an LS, and possibly an Atlas and will be very happy with it. I will eventually have a buggy that I can beat on and do the extreme trails in.