GMC / Chevy Thoughts on Chevy Colorado ZR2's

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I'm not looking at buying a new vehicle any time soon, but every time I see a late model Colorado ZR2 I think that those are damn good looking trucks. Anyone have experience with one now that they've been out for a bit?

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I’ve got the previous Generation Colorado. I have really enjoyed it… But that’s not really apples to apples because the new ones are 100% different. I have got my eye on a newer Colorado right now. But I also really like the new Ford Rangers. I am going to limp my current Colorado along as long as I can, and I will buy whatever I can get a good deal on at that point.

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
I’ve heard they are great trucks but I can’t get over how bad that front bumper looks (just a personal preference). I’d take a Bison edition which to my eyes, removes the ugly :)

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
X2 on the Bison fixing the nasty bumper. I'm very interested in the zr2 if I ever downsize from the tundra. I hear high praise from a friend with the Duramax, absolutely loves that little truck. Heard from another guy the trick suspension is legit, both for higher speed and crawling applications. Before pulling the trigger I would have to be convinced that those big low hanging shocks aren't a damage risk or a crazy $$$ repair. Also, word is that AEV is coming out with an updated Bison (not through GM) with fenders allowing 35's with close to stock height. So, if (when?) I de-tundra down the road I would probably figure out a way to get Bison bumpers and fenders and set it up with 35's, and that truck would be the clear front runner for me.

J-mobzz

I have rented all the new midsize trucks besides the ranger. The Chevy is hands down my favorite. By far the best tech, by far the most power and actually by far the best mpg. I drove one for a week including from Missoula to Billings and this was after renting a trd Tacoma and doing the same trip six weeks earlier. After that I lost any and all interest in the Tacoma. Underpowered, poor fuel economy for a modern truck and tech that feels like it’s from 2012.

Also my dad has a new Silverado that had a transmission failure at 14k miles. They gave him a Colorado to drive for a week while his was getting fixed. Other than the size (smaller than his) he said he really enjoyed the truck.

That LS based 4.3 is a ripper

Tonkaman

I have rented all the new midsize trucks besides the ranger. The Chevy is hands down my favorite. By far the best tech, by far the most power and actually by far the best mpg. I drove one for a week including from Missoula to Billings and this was after renting a trd Tacoma and doing the same trip six weeks earlier. After that I lost any and all interest in the Tacoma. Underpowered, poor fuel economy for a modern truck and tech that feels like it’s from 2012.

Also my dad has a new Silverado that had a transmission failure at 14k miles. They gave him a Colorado to drive for a week while his was getting fixed. Other than the size (smaller than his) he said he really enjoyed the truck.

That LS based 4.3 is a ripper
As a current Tacoma owner I agree with this statement.

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
Buuut I will pretty much guaranty they don’t off road like the Tacoma.
Interesting. The reviews I've seen have the ZR2 winning out off road, but you never know if professional car reviewers actually know what they're talking about when it comes to actual off roading. Any experience with a ZR2 or just a really satisfied Toyota customer?

Tonkaman

Interesting. The reviews I've seen have the ZR2 winning out off road, but you never know if professional car reviewers actually know what they're talking about when it comes to actual off roading. Any experience with a ZR2 or just a really satisfied Toyota customer?

I haven’t driven one Offroad, but while I was shopping this was my biggest consideration. The Chevy has the typical problem of the frames hanging below the body which really minimized ground clearance and approach angles. My Tacoma is so well balanced that it puts traction down extremely well. I can’t imagine how balanced that Chevy could be especially if it has the duramax (which is what I would want).

Just thoughts no evidence.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
The two people I know that have them both really like them. The aftermarket support doesn't compare to the taco though.

I really dig the rangers too. If they bring over the ranger raptor, I'm going to have a hard time not buying one