thoughts on the Titan XD (Cummins)

Houndoc

Starting to consider replacing my 2008 Sierra 2500 Duramax- nearing the 240K mile mark and business is good. I have liked my last 2 GM diesels.

Back when I had a Dodge, I agreed with my mechanic that the "Cummins diesel is great, just too bad it is in a Dodge" (the only vehicle purchase I really regret).

So, thoughts on a Cummins powered Nissan?

Most my towing is either short distances (Grantsville to Logan being about the furthest) with a loaded horse trailer (roughly 10K pounds) or Lake Powell with the boat (roughly 6K, plus camping gear, food etc in the truck.)

Any other trucks I should be looking at, besides sticking with GM?

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
The nissan cummins is not the same as the dodge.

A friend of mine is a tech for nissan. He said they sold a TON of the trucks when they came out, and a TON of them came back from unhappy customers who thought they could tow based on the cummins name. I have no personal experience with the nissan, but I'd bet the ecoboost would be way better.

xjtony

They were kind of billed as in-between a half ton and three quarter ton truck. I've known a few guys that really like them because they just towed a car hauler or similar sized load. One of the big selling points was fuel economy, but I wonder if towing 10k might eat into that. I do know a guy that claims to get over 20mpg towing a 2 horse trailer but I've never verified that. I really looked at these before I bought my Dodge and almost pulled the trigger until I got a screaming deal on the truck I have now. I think they could be a decent value for folks who don't tow huge loads. That said the new hemi 1500s have a tow rating of up to 12k...

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
As others have said, they are an in between truck. They have the same or similar tow rating as the 1/2 tons and get the same mileage as the 3/4 tons.
10k towing might get you the new GM 3.0 diesel. It will get you the Ram 3.0. Neither of these trucks have the payload capacity though with a heavy trailer and full of family. I don't know where the Nissan is at with payload.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
5/8th ton, I looked into them a bit last year. Lots of trans problems from what I read. Not much more power than current gassers or tow rating steered me away.

FWIW new dodges or “rams” are a whole different animal than the older ones. Wish I still had my 2014 I loved that truck but well flight school is expensive and selling it paid for a lot of it 😂

Houndoc

FWIW new dodges or “rams” are a whole different animal than the older ones. Wish I still had my 2014 I loved that truck but well flight school is expensive and selling it paid for a lot of it 😂
I guess that is a topic for another thread!

haulinshine

At the 10k weight from grantsville to logan I wouldn't want to run anything smaller than a 3/4 ton. I would say gas over diesel at that low of a weight but it doesn't really matter if you are looking at stuff with lower miles and not real old IMO. All of the big 3 are going to do just fine and like has been said before Ram has upped their quality but there are still a lot of things about the cab of those trucks I just don't like (personal preference). right now I would stay far away from the used diesel market if you can it's pretty crazy.