Thoughts On This One?

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.

I don’t know if this cop was right or wrong. I think maybe he was right.

Here’s what I do know. I’m 99.9999999% positive I will never get shot by a cop. I don’t care if a cop is completely wrong. I can deescalate the situation. I can give the cop his moment and get him in the courts later on. Then I’ll go home and hug my family and live another day.

Maybe we need to change the law so it says a cop is automatically justified to shoot after you resist him three times.

Rant over.

Tonkaman

I don’t know if this cop was right or wrong. I think maybe he was right.

Here’s what I do know. I’m 99.9999999% positive I will never get shot by a cop. I don’t care if a cop is completely wrong. I can deescalate the situation. I can give the cop his moment and get him in the courts later on. Then I’ll go home and hug my family and live another day.

Maybe we need to change the law so it says a cop is automatically justified to shoot after you resist him three times.

Rant over.
I completely agree.

The last thing I want is a Police force that is more afraid of being sued than protecting the innocent.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I believe there are various political groups that believe neutering the police and removing your right to defend yourself is something they should be doing. I'm not sure why this is, maybe they have just been bought off. Maybe the gangbangers contribute more to their campaign than the general public does. Maybe they are part of a criminal organization. Maybe they are just misguided. I don't believe Sim Gill is a friend to the police. The story starts out
On March 21, emergency dispatchers received calls from citizens who heard gunshots in the area of 6200 S. Bangerter Highway followed by a car speeding away. Four officers responded to the call.
And Sim Gill goes on to say this guy didn't cooperate and acted like he was trying to go for a gun the whole time but wasn't armed so the police weren't justified in shooting him. He doesn't believe a jury would convict the officer so he just drags them through the press. Sim's an idiot.

J-mobzz

The part that bothers me is the they say one officer had his body cam knocked off while climbing a fence and that’s why there was no footage of the shooting. But another officer showed up before the shooting. Where was his body cam? Was he wearing it? Did it go missing? I’m sure those are questions asked by the district attorney but it is frustrating with today’s tech that so many shootings are happening without police body cams.

For me I’m not parked in park probably drunk. Or a felon on parol or a number of other reasons that person probably took evading to the level they did because they were guilty of something and probably stood to be put in jail for a very long time if caught. These are not circumstances I can relate to. But we do know that two cops were present for the shooting. No body cam footage is available. From the story it sounds like the only other potential witness was shot 6 times. If something went down that would have had the cops at fault there doesn’t seem to be much more they could have done to cover it up besides what was done already with no footage and no witness. I would be very surprised if the dude shot wasn’t into some shit. I mean innocent people don’t run from cops. But do two innocent cops both accidentally loose body cams? Not super likely either.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
The part that bothers me is the they say one officer had his body cam knocked off while climbing a fence and that’s why there was no footage of the shooting. But another officer showed up before the shooting. Where was his body cam? Was he wearing it? Did it go missing? I’m sure those are questions asked by the district attorney but it is frustrating with today’s tech that so many shootings are happening without police body cams.

For me I’m not parked in park probably drunk. Or a felon on parol or a number of other reasons that person probably took evading to the level they did because they were guilty of something and probably stood to be put in jail for a very long time if caught. These are not circumstances I can relate to. But we do know that two cops were present for the shooting. No body cam footage is available. From the story it sounds like the only other potential witness was shot 6 times. If something went down that would have had the cops at fault there doesn’t seem to be much more they could have done to cover it up besides what was done already with no footage and no witness. I would be very surprised if the dude shot wasn’t into some shit. I mean innocent people don’t run from cops. But do two innocent cops both accidentally loose body cams? Not super likely either.

Going to stay out of this for the most part but I’ll address the body cam.

First can totally believe the body cam came off. UPD ordered the cheap remote mount cams and mine would come off all the time and be dangling between my legs because it had a cable that ran from the camera to the control module.

Two not every officer has a body camera in UPD only about 1/3 do. Body cameras are cheap, however the companies that manufacture them force you to store the data with them which they charge a fortune to do it.

Short answer is police budgets have been neutered, lots of things need to be paid for. A 7-8 figure budget for body cam for every officer is not in the budget.

J-mobzz

Going to stay out of this for the most part but I’ll address the body cam.

First can totally believe the body cam came off. UPD ordered the cheap remote mount cams and mine would come off all the time and be dangling between my legs because it had a cable that ran from the camera to the control module.

Two not every officer has a body camera in UPD only about 1/3 do. Body cameras are cheap, however the companies that manufacture them force you to store the data with them which they charge a fortune to do it.

Short answer is police budgets have been neutered, lots of things need to be paid for. A 7-8 figure budget for body cam for every officer is not in the budget.
Those are really good points. I would be awesome if they had footage and no one had to question it though. I hope we can get there soon.

Coco

Those are really good points. I would be awesome if they had footage and no one had to question it though. I hope we can get there soon.
Footage, or no footage, they will still question everything. The riots last summer are proof of that.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I disagree wholeheartedly. I fully expect to be shot by an officer of the government at some point in my life. Not for a traffic stop, not for a registration ticket but for something that actually matters, like the lawful possession of my firearms or my children.

Coco

I disagree wholeheartedly. I fully expect to be shot by an officer of the government at some point in my life. Not for a traffic stop, not for a registration ticket but for something that actually matters, like the lawful possession of my firearms or my children.
This would be the only reason for sure.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.

Can you expound on that a little bit? Why is a cop going to shoot you regarding your children?

What would the situation be with your guns?

I get pulled over for a burned out tail light and the cops asks me to surrender my carry weapon while he talks to me. Sure I’ll do it so he feels safe. Probably not a good reason to surrender it, but why fight it?

Probably another reason I’m missing.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Can you expound on that a little bit? Why is a cop going to shoot you regarding your children?

What would the situation be with your guns?

I get pulled over for a burned out tail light and the cops asks me to surrender my carry weapon while he talks to me. Sure I’ll do it so he feels safe. Probably not a good reason to surrender it, but why fight it?

Probably another reason I’m missing.
Its probably irrational but it's a common fear among parents of children with disabilities or lifetime diseases. When your child has quarterly visits with doctors who asses how you are performing as a parent as part of their medical treatment, it introduces a lot of possibilities for error. Just like if you interact with police often, it increases your probability of having a bad interaction.
There have been several examples I could share where an overzealous doctor reported parents to dcfs and they removed the child. I have a hard line in the sand there. They will have to take my child through a wall of bullets. Again, I'm probably not rational but that's my stance. If a cop asks me to take my legally possed firearms, I can only assume he has nefarious intent and I'd fight that fight to the death. Once you are disarmed and handcuffed you no longer have control of your future. I've had friends and family harmed in police custody. So I don't break laws to limit my police interactions and I try to be as courteous as I can while interacting with traffic stops. I hope that will keep me out of these situations, but I just assume at some point one of them will happen.