Thoughts on Tire Plug Kits?

TJustin

Porch Dog
Supporting Member
I am experimenting with wheeling w/o a spare tire. With this, #1 thing to me is I don't want to be a trail plug, or rely on those who carry spare tires. I am looking for a sufficient plug/patch kit that can get me off the trail when/if needed. Most kits I've found aren't much more than plugs and the associated install tools. They seem to me to be lacking to me. On the complete other end of the spectrum, I have located the Extreme Outback Products Ultimate Puncture Repair Kit, which is quite a bit more money, but am willing to spend it if it is worth it. I have inserted a link to it below. Concern I have is that patches are useless unless I can break the bead, or same with the valve stems, not worth it without the install tool. Thoughts, experiences or opinions on this?

Ultimate Puncture Repair Kit

Tonkaman

I have seen a number of trail damaged tires with large gashes in the sidewalls from rocks, sticks and even railroad spikes that plug kits just won't fix. I believe that to be self sufficient offroad the you just need a full sized spare tire.
I completely agree with @lhracing

That being said, I haven’t used my spare tire in 10+ years of medium risk wheeling. I begin with proper heavy duty tires and I go to my tire plug kit every time I have an issue. I have been using the kit from ARB without complaints.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Something to think about. When you have an "issue" on the trail, it really isn't a big deal, (if you have the right tools, jack, lug wrench of some kind, patch kit), to put your rig in the air, pull the tire, fix what is necessary, breaking beads and all, and get out...

Would I want to do it alone, not really, but with the group I find myself on the trail with these days we could get it done.

If you want a specific instance, about this time last year we were out playing when a buddy put a sharp rock through the sidewall of a 40" MTR, so the group stopped, the kids played, the girls decided it was a good time for shade and some lunch, and the guys started to play trail fix.

Did we have a full sized spare? Yes, in the tow rig x miles away, (and no one felt like running out to pick up a 40"), so with the help of some on board air and some repair kits we put a half dozen plugs in, let the cemet set up for a while, and watched it on the way out. I think we only had to put air back in it once.

Could we have pulled the rim and patched the inside, yes. Could we have bailing wire stitched it and plugged the gaps, yes. I guess my point is you will never really have "EVERYTHING" you need. Drop the Benjamin($100), get your tire kit and go wheel. (With buddies you hope won't leave you) :D

Personally I have a ARB kit in the tool box that I think I spent $50-$60 on that probably needs to be restocked and isn't has complete as the one you found.

Hope this helps...

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I can't bring myself to wheel without a spare, but I hated the extra weight hanging way out on the rear end of my Jeep. I don't use my rear seat anymore, so I chose to strap the spare down on the floor of the tub. I built a plywood platform to mount above the tire and it's secured with 4 turnbuckles.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I have had a few flats over the last few years, and 1 tire bulge. I would never go without a spare. That being said, with each of the flats, I plugged it instead of changing it. It's easier.

However, I have also dealt with major gashes. I wouldn't want to trust a plug kit/patch kit/bailing wire/etc to be my resource to get home. If you are running out and back trails with friends it may not be a big risk. If you are heading out to the desert solo, a flat tire can be life or death.

I used to carry tubes in the jeep. We have twice used them to stick in tires for vehicles without a spare that had decent gashes in them.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
IMO it Completely depends on the vehicle, type of tires, if you have hydro (full or assist) steering and beadlocks.

Buggy type rig with beadlocks? I don't carry a spare. I've slashed a huge hole in the side of a TSL more than halfway up Pritchet after midnight and drove out on it. The gash was too big to patch or plug and it was right near the bead. Did it suck? Sure did... but I still made it out with confidence. Could I have made it out without hydraulic steering? Probably not, because steering a dead tire is the worst.

I'd hope that I wouldn't find myself without a spare in any other vehicle. Just my 0.02.

DAA

I need to add some OTR/tractor tire plugs to my kit. Out with a buddy last winter, long, long ways from anything, slashed one of his sidewalls and in a spot where getting the spare out from under the bed of his truck would have been a major project. He had a pack of those big OTR plugs and they worked a lot better for a sidewall gash than the normal size plugs I carry. Been meaning to add some to my kit ever since, but still haven't...

But, having plugged up a few sidewall issues on the trail, those big plugs did make it easier.

For the kind of stuff I normally do, a full size spare is a requirement though.

- DAA

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
I guess, I feel the need to clarify/qualify. I asssume that most folks know that I wheel a trailer queen and the tow rig is usually at the trail head.

So please don't think that I would run a multi-plugged tire on the highway. It way to much potential liability for me and the others on the road...

Kevin B.

Big hippy
Put me in the "never without a spare" category. I carry a plug kit, seen it save the day a couple times, but I've had tires damaged badly enough that they didn't work too.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Like Jeremy, I just simply can't bring myself to go off-road without my full-size spare. It makes my head hurt to just think about it.

I also carry the ARB plug kit and have had to use it one time on a vehicle that we came upon on the trail with a flat and no spare traveling alone. Both of which are a no-no.

I am by no means afraid of spinning a wrench, however, when I'm on the trail relaxing and enjoying my vacation the last thing I want to do is wrench because of a breakdown. Throwing a spare tire on is much easier and more effective than plugging so I will always carry a spare as well as the plug kit. I also carry a package of the Colby emergency valve stems just in case but haven't used them yet.

Mike

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
As others have said, I can't imagine being off-road without a spare. I have a Speedy-Seal kit (predecessor to the ARB kit everyone has) and I've used it on many occasions for myself and others on the trail. Even done the six plugs in one hole trick (though Dave's OTR plugs now sound intriguing). But I've always been of the mind that if you have a good spare, and you're in a spot that you can put that spare on, do it. But then again, the majority of the wheeling I've been doing over the last decade is backcountry exploring where you are going to have to be driving on that tire, usually at speed, for hundreds of miles, not rock crawling.
I can kinda see the argument for not having a big bulky spare hanging off the rear when your crawling and once you get to the highway grabbing the town rig or going back into town with the tire. But that'd still make me nervous.

DAA

I haven't got any yet myself. Friend told me where he got them local, can't remember for sure but Tractor Supply is what I'm wanting to say.

- DAA

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I roll with an ARB tire plug kit or two and an undersized spare (currently that is... 35" won;t fit underneath so it's a 33")... I've gone years with a spare on several rigs and (knock on wood) I always get by just fine.

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
I've ran both ways. Ironically, every single time I've had to use a spare was on pavement.
In my buggy, I would just carry plugs for the reasons that @Herzog mentioned above, plus carrying a full size 44" spare wouldn't have been easy or really practical.

RockChucker

I keep my spare in the tow rig and carry plugs. For most trails this isn’t an issue because a quick run back to the trailer wouldn’t be the end of the world if needed. So far the plugs have been good. Sure is nice not hauling a 40” everywhere.