Throw out bearing

Sibeta2

Put in a new clutch and throw out bearing a few months ago in my 68 Jeepster. Pulled the transmission today to have it rebuilt. Snapped a pic of the clutch release and bearing. Any idea why this would have happened? Would this have affected how my transmission shifted ? Once I changed the clutch a few months ago I couldn’t get it in reverse and it is hard to shift between all the gears. I thought maybe the synchros might be going out. I have t14 tranny in it. Any thoughts? Pic attached of bearing and jeepster (Just for fun).

Attachments

• BC962F57-FB09-4752-A4E7-24AC111A5E8E.jpeg
    BC962F57-FB09-4752-A4E7-24AC111A5E8E.jpeg
    304.8 KB · Views: 32
  • F658CEA1-2E77-426C-8784-B35B89CB730C.jpeg
    F658CEA1-2E77-426C-8784-B35B89CB730C.jpeg
    417.6 KB · Views: 32

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Wrong bearing or fork maybe? It looks to me like the fork binds in the groove of the bearing (causing the damage) when the pedal is depressed.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Looks like the throwout bearing wasn't right or something, would definitely affect shifting because you would have to take up the extra distance that the throwout bearing wasn't solid on before it would disengage.

Sibeta2

De
Wrong bearing or fork maybe? It looks to me like the fork binds in the groove of the bearing (causing the damage) when the pedal is depressed.

Just a quick follow up. So once I installed the clutch a few months ago I could never get it back into reverse. Once I got the transmission out, I can once again shift into reverse. While the tranny was in the jeep it was hard to shift between all of the gears without grinding. I could not get it into first gear from a standstill. I assumed that reverse was broken and the synchros were going out for all other gears . So in your opinion do you think that the throwout bearing was affecting this going into reverse?

Pile of parts

It certainly wasn't helping. Whether it was the fork or bearing??? Propper throw probably wasn't there and it definitely looks like fork/bearing engagement wasn't correct either, based on what your picture shows. All of these problems could cause trouble shifting. I've had transmission to bell housing bolts loosen up and cause similar symptoms.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Just a quick follow up. So once I installed the clutch a few months ago I could never get it back into reverse. Once I got the transmission out, I can once again shift into reverse. While the tranny was in the jeep it was hard to shift between all of the gears without grinding. I could not get it into first gear from a standstill. I assumed that reverse was broken and the synchros were going out for all other gears . So in your opinion do you think that the throwout bearing was affecting this going into reverse?
Yes, I do think that the bearing/fork problem (causing the clutch to NOT disengage fully?) could be the root of many of your shifting issues. Like Jason said, there could be other causes too, but this seems like more than coincidence that the issues started when your clutch was replaced.

Reactions: DAA