Topic of Discussion Tile. Yes, this is THAT thread

shortstraw8

When I was going to start the kitchen i was going to buy these.

Nothing special about the brand just what came up when I searched hinged kneepad. I used a set that hinged like that and they were the most comfortable I have ever worn. But in true fashion I grabbed what looked to be the best pair off the shelf last minute that turned out to be the sh***iest pair, gives me something to complain about while working. The hinged style like that just make it so the top strap doesn't fell like a turnicate on my leg when I am kneeling.
I will go on record to say that every pair of AWP knee pads I have bought from home stores have not outlasted the job I bought them for. Never looked for a weight rating though, so maybe being a fatty is the problem?

mesha

By endurance we conquer
2 things
1- You can definitely do it. Tile isn’t that complicated. It just isn’t fun which you realize so good luck.
2- I like cheap thin uncomplicated knee pads. The fancy ones always end up in the wrong spot or I kneel on the edge of the hard cap of the knee pad which is 1000 times worse than kneeling on the floor.
these are not the knee pads for everyone but I like this style.
AmazonCommercial Over/under Knee Pads, 8.5 in, Black, 1 pair https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZDF6YYS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabt1_rA1UFbRV6608Q

Last edited:

DAA

I used some Thunderbolt brand. Liked them a lot. But it sounds like they might not have worked so well for others. Stayed put for me pretty well though and I appreciated the hard shell and gel padding.

- DAA

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Since your biggest pieces are 18", you really should borrow my tile snapper. It will do all your cuts except notches and plunges. And I can lend you a diamond blade for a grinder too, for those.

I know you have a nice wet saw. But my one time doing tile, anytime I could use the snapper instead of the saw was pleasure vs. pain. Just so much faster and easier (and cleaner). The downside to snapping, is the cut edge looks less like a full tile edge than a sawn cut edge does. But almost all your cuts are going to be hidden by baseboard anyway. And, yes, the edge looks different, but, once it's installed and grouted, nobody, like absolutely nobody, is ever going to to notice the difference.

- DAA
I think my brother has a tile snapper. It's basically like cutting glass. I've got lots of experience with that.

I'm leaning towards the ditra mat, but it looks like it's $85 for 54 sq/ft. Is that right? That's gonna be like $2,200 in underlayment. Do you screw it down? Where's the best place to buy it?

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I went downstairs into the dungeon to visit the tile. It's been sitting here since @SoopaHick blew up his engine in the Jeep.

C366A4F9-868C-4F3A-B41E-57A02297C90D.jpeg1AA4A8C5-0B38-4296-9892-B527CA23F0E0.jpeg

It is porcelain. I remember now that we went for that vs ceramic for the strength.

DAA

I think my brother has a tile snapper. It's basically like cutting glass. I've got lots of experience with that.

I'm leaning towards the ditra mat, but it looks like it's $85 for 54 sq/ft. Is that right? That's gonna be like $2,200 in underlayment. Do you screw it down? Where's the best place to buy it?

Mud the Ditra in to the sub floor (easiest part of the whole job). Then mud the tile in on top of it. I think I used a different trowel for the Ditra, can't remember for sure, but wanting to say it called for a smaller notch than the tile. I bought everything in one swoop at Floor and Decor. Was a grand opening sale at the Riverdale store - I couldn't find any better prices anywhere - and they had more of the big tile to choose from than anywhere else we looked. Might not be the case today, don't know.

- DAA

My experience this year has been that it is even more so now since Floor & Decor opened up the big store on 5th W and 17th S. There are not that many other places out there with any kind of variety to select from.

pkrfctr

Screwing down hardibaker sucks! Grab a roofing nailer and use roofing nails to nail it down. I'm also a fan of the ditra type underlayment instead of hardibaker. Its easy to use, guaranteed to flex and not crack and goes down way faster. You can cut it with a razor vs the headache to cut hardi. The ditra is harder on the knees and hands as you lay the tile but gloves and knee pads solve that.

pkrfctr

on the ditra- first of all, do it, its a way better product. Mud it down ,mud on top and then use a staple gun on any stubborn points. The easiest way is unroll the roll and sit at least overnight. The ends will still curl and need stapled but you wont be fighting it the whole time. I've done a lot of tile and happy to talk if you have questions.
I'd also recommend renting or borrowing a wet saw over a snapper. I'm not a fan of the snapping method.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Well we're committed to hardibacker now. They didn't have enough of the ditra in stock.

We bought a tile snapper and have a great tile wet saw. We also bought a bunch of other crap. A mixing drill, a diamond blade for the 4.5" grinder, and 97 sheets of hardibacker with screws. Got the grout, got some mortar (I think we need more).

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Just a word of precaution, as my parents learned the hard way when they paid someone to do flooring work. Watch out for tubing ran under the flooring when you're nailing down your backing. Their home ended up with a natural gas line getting punctured by the contractor!

• Wow
Reactions: DAA

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Just a word of precaution, as my parents learned the hard way when they paid someone to do flooring work. Watch out for tubing ran under the flooring when you're nailing down your backing. Their home ended up with a natural gas line getting punctured by the contractor!
Sweet! I needs to tie into that line for a garage heater anyway. 😂

pkrfctr

Well we're committed to hardibacker now. They didn't have enough of the ditra in stock.

We bought a tile snapper and have a great tile wet saw. We also bought a bunch of other crap. A mixing drill, a diamond blade for the 4.5" grinder, and 97 sheets of hardibacker with screws. Got the grout, got some mortar (I think we need more).
Take the screws back and use a roofing nailer, you'll thank me after trying to screw down one sheet.

Reactions: DAA