Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Thanks again everybody. I'm very excited to do this. It's been a long time since I've been able to just build and I'm having a blast. :cool:

Nice work. You have made quite a bit of progress since I saw it a couple of weeks ago.

Hopefully it will go even faster now that I've pulled the engine out of my other buggy. I can't stand not having a rig to go out in. :D Stop by again anytime you want!

also: why so much wheelbase? 112 seems like a lot with a low belly height

That's only 7" longer than the other one, plus this will have a back seat. Belly height will be slighly higher than the last as well, plus 40's instead of 38's.

Neat! Looks like just enough room for 4 seats. What wheelbase are you shootin for?

Just enough. The kids will fit pretty well in the back for another 6 years or so. :cool: I want 112, but depending on how far that silly long 4.0L pushes the front axle forward. I want a lot more up-travel.

Wasting no time... I can't wait to see you handle a 4 seater, what a difference it will be :D

I expect it will be very different! It's going to be a lot heavier than I'm used to as well with those 60's. Should be fun, I'm going to shoot for pretty narrow again, but not as much.

zukijames

you will like the wheel base i went from 99 to 113 and i would never go back.. i drag belly and link mounts on everything im only 16.5 inches to my skidplate on a good day. but its still worth it.. im just gona lift it 2 or so more inches and i think it will be perfect plus you are gona be running a 40. Im excited for this rig

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
'subscribed' very cool build.. I will add that Im running a same drivetrain with 40's and 4 seater and was able to pull of a 108" wheel base, four seaters are cool but they are hard to make everything fit where you want em.. kudo's

cannoncrawler

TWERNT THE MORMONS!!!!!!
very nice work! Hope you can sell the running chassis all together, but if you do part it out, I would be interested in the tires.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Small updates from the last two days. :cool:

Window bars & misc spreaders going in nicely
IMAG0278.jpg IMAG0279.jpg

Decided to tuck the engine in a little further back on this build.
IMAG0280.jpg IMAG0283.jpg

Front view. Seats mostly mounted. Engine, trans, t-case and radiator final position. :cool:
IMAG0282.jpg IMAG0284.jpg IMAG0285.jpg

Looks like the kid will fit for a while. I'm going to kick those lower cross bars in just a little bit for better leg clearance. Those bars will also all be padded very well.
IMAG0286.jpg

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
looking great!

it's hard to imagine taking apart a buggy like yours, but kids make people do crazy things :D (that's why i have dogs)

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Couple updates from the weekend.

After initially getting the engine/trans/tcase in place, I (and others) felt that the belly might actually be too tall making the chassis look kinda chubby. :eek: This weekend I decided to take some inches out of the belly and raised drivetrain up a few more inches. Now I'm not so worried about a low hanging belly pan.
DSC07061.JPG DSC07073.JPG DSC07077.JPG

Also got the hood cut down and the front is starting to take shape. That is a CJ5 hood that I cut the sides off. I like this better than having the rounded sides for this buggy.

DSC07070.JPG DSC07075.JPG DSC07078.JPG DSC07079.JPG

Gas tank & rough placement. It will sit back a little further from the seat.
DSC07074.JPG DSC07076.JPG DSC07080.JPG

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Looks sweet! Nobody wants to have a chubby buggy. :eek: I am excited to see how the grill will look

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
My front 14" (front) coilover shocks showed up today. That was pretty quick. They said the 16's are still 1 week out. :cool:

Attachments

• DSC07082.JPG
    DSC07082.JPG
    103.1 KB · Views: 65

GOAT

Back from the beyond
looking good buddy. Definitely a well thought out chassis with plenty of good triangulation on that cage, without overdoing it;)

i think i missed the shock thread. what did you go with?

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
looking good buddy. Definitely a well thought out chassis with plenty of good triangulation on that cage, without overdoing it;)

i think i missed the shock thread. what did you go with?

I think you missed this page, the shocks are like 3 posts north. :D

I am really liking this build as well. The first one is one of my all-time favorites, it seemed to work so well every time I got to see it in action, without drama or any crazy blingtastic gadgetry. :D