Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Looking great Shane.

Looks sweet! Nobody wants to have a chubby buggy. :eek: I am excited to see how the grill will look

Thanks guys. I may not use the grill now. I tried mocking it up and just wasn't happy with the results. We'll see but right now it's on the back burner.

You work so much faster than me. It is looking good.

Thanks! I wish I were further along but sometimes you just gotta step backward a little bit to make sure you're happy with the final result. I hate removing and redoing tube work.

looking good buddy. Definitely a well thought out chassis with plenty of good triangulation on that cage, without overdoing it;)

i think i missed the shock thread. what did you go with?

The funny thing is that I was planning on this chassis being a lot different than my old one, but as I go along there are a lot of similarities. I guess I kept all the things I really liked and changing the things I didn't.

I decided to go with FOA shocks. I figured the price is right and they're holding up to KOH, they should be fine under my bus.

I think you missed this page, the shocks are like 3 posts north. :D

I am really liking this build as well. The first one is one of my all-time favorites, it seemed to work so well every time I got to see it in action, without drama or any crazy blingtastic gadgetry. :D

Thanks! I'm not a huge fan of "blingtastic gadgetry", I like my crap utilitarian. There might be a tiny bit more bling on this build versus the other rig, but we'll see.

Tone ring on the rear 60? what was it out of? a Van? What Width are you planning?

Yeah, it's not staying. It's a 60u from under an 99 Ford E350 Van. Right now it's about 69" wide (wms). We (I Lean) pulled the axle from a junk yard and grabbed a set of D70 35spl shafts to go with it. The neat thing is that this rear 60 already has the larger spindles (came with 32 or 33 spline shafts stock) so I only need to change the carrier. The housing will be cut down to fit the OEM 70 shafts, which was a over all reduction of 2.75 inches or close to that.

I'm still undecided on my wheels. I have a set of 6.5 BS wheels that I want to use, but I'm wondering if 5.5 might be slightly better. The goal is about 2-2.5" wider wheel track than my last rig. Nothing more. If my math is right, the 6.5 wheels will put me right at 2" wider track (1" each side), I'm hoping.

Shocks are FOA.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Shane, I've got a set of Allied alum. beadlocks if you don't have wheels yet. I'm not sure if I'll use them or not, but if it helps you get on things together more quickly, just say the word. I'm sure we could work something out.

GOAT

Back from the beyond
I'm still undecided on my wheels. I have a set of 6.5 BS wheels that I want to use, but I'm wondering if 5.5 might be slightly better. The goal is about 2-2.5" wider wheel track than my last rig. Nothing more. If my math is right, the 6.5 wheels will put me right at 2" wider track (1" each side), I'm hoping.

Shocks are FOA.

you can also use my H2 wheels&tires if you need some rollers/test wheels.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
My 16" rear coilovers are finished and shipped out today... as well as a set of 43x14.50x17 SX's. :eek:

Should be interesting... I've never handled a tire that big. I decided to go with them because there was a set on the Interco cosmetic blem page for a really good price this morning and I'm very familiar with SX's. I plan on grooving them just like my last two sets. I know they're not a sticky or the "best", but they will get the job done and last a bit longer.

Also - people are reporting that they are measuring in around 40.5" mounted which makes me feel a little better.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Shane, I've got a set of Allied alum. beadlocks if you don't have wheels yet. I'm not sure if I'll use them or not, but if it helps you get on things together more quickly, just say the word. I'm sure we could work something out.

I PM'd you earlier. We might be in touch later. :)

Really nice looking chassis, Shane. I can't wait to see how you finish it with paint and panels.

Thanks Braden! The bars will be all black again. It's just easy to clean and cover up. I never regretted having black on my other rig even in the heat. As for panels, polycarbonate again... but maybe a different color this time.

you can also use my H2 wheels&tires if you need some rollers/test wheels.

I appreciate that! But I think I should be good now, see post above. :D

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
as well as a set of 43x14.50x17 SX's. :eek:

Things just got ridiculous. These seem huge to me.

095IMAGE95306.jpg

They measure 40.5" right now, unmounted. I'm assuming they might stay close to that with ~6psi & weight on them.
More photos & specs on the tires when I get time.