Time for a truck change....

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Great to know, thank you! I hate being nickel and dimed...besides fuel, oil changes, brakes, batteries, glowplugs, AC pump, alternator, and tires (once each) in 6 years and 60k miles I didn't have to put a dime into my '95 7.3 PSD and it all worked great.

I'm pretty interested in the Duramax that I'm looking at. It's at the top of the price range for similar trucks with 236k miles but the guy seems to have babied it....

Greg's got a pretty good rant about a 2003 Cummins truck he had as well. His cruise control wouldn't release in the I-70 canyons. Certainly got his attention.

I'm not sure where I'm at with the GM trucks. I've tried to buy a few now. Just can't do it for some reason. Everyone I know with a DMax has put injectors in them. (can't say that's any different than a 7.3L at 180-240k). I have a babied '98 Cummins right now with 213k I got for a good deal. Not sure I'd want to sell it as I don't know what I'd get into after that. Something to be said for a truck that's been serviced. The guy I bought it from bought it from his dad. REALLY not sure I'm in love with a diesel any longer (although 2011-2016 Fords are really interesting but incredibly complex machines---if I could snag an 80kish mile longbed crew, I might do that?)

pELYgroso

'Merica
Greg's got a pretty good rant about a 2003 Cummins truck he had as well. His cruise control wouldn't release in the I-70 canyons. Certainly got his attention.

I'm not sure where I'm at with the GM trucks. I've tried to buy a few now. Just can't do it for some reason. Everyone I know with a DMax has put injectors in them. (can't say that's any different than a 7.3L at 180-240k). I have a babied '98 Cummins right now with 213k I got for a good deal. Not sure I'd want to sell it as I don't know what I'd get into after that. Something to be said for a truck that's been serviced. The guy I bought it from bought it from his dad. REALLY not sure I'm in love with a diesel any longer (although 2011-2016 Fords are really interesting but incredibly complex machines---if I could snag an 80kish mile longbed crew, I might do that?)

The 6.7 is amazing. If you're interested, mine is a '14 crew short bed platinum with 92,xxx miles with the best transferable warranty up to 100k that I could buy at the time. i've put about 17k easy miles on it and it's been flawless. One time it went into limp mode (disengages boost) towing so I took it in and it turned out to have clogged air filters. (I had just had it serviced and those were supposed to have been changed...) After new filters it's been perfect. I really hate to sell it but it sits most of the year. Let me know if you're interested...

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
The 6.7 is amazing. If you're interested, mine is a '14 crew short bed platinum with 92,xxx miles with the best transferable warranty up to 100k that I could buy at the time. i've put about 17k easy miles on it and it's been flawless. One time it went into limp mode (disengages boost) towing so I took it in and it turned out to have clogged air filters. (I had just had it serviced and those were supposed to have been changed...) After new filters it's been perfect. I really hate to sell it but it sits most of the year. Let me know if you're interested...

Just can't do a shortbed and not to interested in a Platinum either :D

Tonkaman

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a duramax with 200k miles. The motor and trans is still solid if taken care of at that age. It's the rest of the truck that wears out first. If all things look good then go for it [emoji106]

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Greg's got a pretty good rant about a 2003 Cummins truck he had as well. His cruise control wouldn't release in the I-70 canyons. Certainly got his attention...

Don't get me started... grrrrr.... the throttle sticking wide open was just ONE of the many problems we had with that truck. We were constantly putting $500-800 per month in repairs just to keep it on the road. I couldn't own a Dodge after that one, there was a point that I was ready to burn it to the ground and walk away.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I was in the same shoes. I just couldn't stomach 20k for a truck with 200k+ miles, so I ended up with a gas truck.
After searching for 6 months and driving every GMC/Chev duramax that popped up under 20k (which coincicentally all of them had over 200k miles) I drove looked beat to crap inside. And every one over 220k needed or had injectors done.

Agility Customs

Vendor
In the last 9 years I have had a 2001, 2003, 2014,2001 and now a 2008 cummins. the only issues I ever had were with my first 2001s auto trans. Other than that they have all been amazing trucks. I regularly tow a goosneck with 2 rigs on them for more than half the miles I put on them. My favorite truck out of all of those is my current 2008 thats been deleted, the newer 6 speed auto is pretty amazing and the exhaust brake is a must have for towing heavy. So if you buy a dodge I would get a 2007 or newer with the 6.7 and the 6 speed trans.

pELYgroso

'Merica
In the last 9 years I have had a 2001, 2003, 2014,2001 and now a 2008 cummins. the only issues I ever had were with my first 2001s auto trans. Other than that they have all been amazing trucks. I regularly tow a goosneck with 2 rigs on them for more than half the miles I put on them. My favorite truck out of all of those is my current 2008 thats been deleted, the newer 6 speed auto is pretty amazing and the exhaust brake is a must have for towing heavy. So if you buy a dodge I would get a 2007 or newer with the 6.7 and the 6 speed trans.

Good to know, thank you!

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
I love my 2013 Ram 2500. It's been reliable as heck. I've put 25000 miles on it since I bought it in October. I've only had one issue with a bad CAT. But it was replaced under warranty for free.

If it does again after the warranty I'll just delete it and register it in Wyoming.

Truck has all the power I'll ever need. The 6 speed auto works great. The exhaust brake is awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pELYgroso

'Merica
Thanks for all of your help guys! I ended up picking up an '03 Duramax.

236k miles
injectors 40k ago
in relatively great shape
Edge chip (the mildest one they make +90hp max)
airbags for towing

The owner was the 3rd owner and the first 2 owners were friends so he knew the history of the truck and for the most part how it was taken care of. This guy babied it and it shows. I put a lot of merit on the seller and his attitude towards the truck when I am looking and this guy is the type of guy I like to buy from.

I appreciate all of your suggestions and feedback!

blue truck.jpg