Time for another dirt bike - which one to get for a short rider?

sixstringsteve

Sorry for yet another "which bike for me" thread. I've learned a lot about my preferences for dirt bikes, and my experience is helping me learn what I like.

It's almost springtime and it's time to get another bike so I can play around up AF canyon some more. This time around I definitely need something that I can touch the ground on (at least the balls of my feet). I prefer tight, technical trails and I like the idea of a nimble bike that I can flick around and touch the ground if needed. I think a 125/250 would be great except for the seat height. I know all about lowering links, cutting the seat, and even modifying the subframe for a lower seat, but even then they're still too tall for me (by 4" or so). When i ride AF canyon and I'm doing tight switchbakcs and picking my bike up every 5 min, it wears me out too much. Even my light (200lb) hybrid 125/kdx200 was too tall for me and I felt like it handled me more than I handled it. I loved the weight and power, but it was too tall.

Here are my criteria:
- I must be able to touch the ground
- low maintenance
- reliable
- Decent size fuel tank
- Under $1500 used

This has been my experience so far:
Xt225 - great bike. Nice low seat height, very fun, great on the road, 75 mpg, not a ton of performance on the trails, but it got the job done
TTR125L - The most fun I've ever had on a bike. It's a little too small for me, but it was very fun and flickable. I love the seat height, the wheelbase is just a little too short. When I ride AF Canyon on this bike I am 100% confident on all the trails. I don't feel out of my league or that I'm about to die because my bike is too big or has too much power for me
TW200 - hung a bit too low to the ground, heavy, wide tires made it feel more like a tractor than a tossable bike
KDX200 - seat height was too tall. Great usable power. Crappy front fork
CR125 - way too tall, but very fun and nimble
CRF150 - wheelbase was WAY too short, but the seat height was ok
WR250 (2t) - way more power than I need, and the seat height was way too tall for me
KTM 250xc - still too tall, but the power was pretty tame
XR200 - fine bike, good size, but I've never ridden one offroad. I may just go this route

I really like the feel of the two-strokes. I'm no power junkie. I could get by with the power of a TTR125, but a ttr 230 is just about perfect power-wise. I'm not into riding sand dunes or going 80 MPH in the desert. I prefer riding technical singletrack that has tight rocky climbs (AF Canyon style), and I'd like to get into riding some fun trails like Slickrock, Amasaback, etc.

I fell in love with the handling of my CR125 hybrid. I really like how I could do little jumps (2-5 feet) and it felt nimble in the air, and it responded very well to my input. If that bike were 4 inches lower, it would have been perfect for me.

Here's what I'm thinking:

KX100 - I know a kx100 is a kids bike, but I'm about the size of a fat kid - 5'6" on a good day, 28" inseam, and 160 lbs. I wonder how it compares in size to the CRF150, cuz that bike was way too small for me)

Scorpa T-ride (but way too $$$ and impossible to find used). This seems like the perfect bike though.

TTR230 (good trail bike, sluggish suspension, nice low ride height)

XR200 - this might be a decent compromise for an all-around trail machine

Honda Reflex

Beta Rev 4 w/Long-range kit and seat

I'd be interested in the following bikes if I could get them low enough:
KTM 200/250/300 exc
CR250
'90's WR250 (2t)/RMX250

What do you guys think? I'm really leaning towards a KX100, but I'd like to try one out first. Anyone out there have one I could throw a leg over?

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Get a klx 110L it would be just right for you.

That thing looks like a blast. Probably a little too small for me (46" wheelbase). I rode Corban's wife's CRF150R and even with a wheelbase of 50" it seemed too short for me...

I wouldn't mind trying your buddy's around the block though, I can keep an open mind.

Caleb

Steve, it may be an "off brand" but check out the Pitster Pro 230. It's a 4T, be that good or bad, it's personal preference. Last year, we came across a guy up AFC that was riding one and it looked fun as hell. I've been super tempted to pick one up. They are right down there in Lindon, I'm a dealer for them, and can get you setup with one pretty dang close to within your budget (unless they've changed pricing recently). Worth looking at.

Caleb

Here's a video of the 230sc (smaller wheels, the lc has full-size 21/18 wheels...they are the same price) up AFC done by Pitsterpro.

[youtube]2CeYIeTk80s[/youtube]

sixstringsteve

Good feedback Caleb. That's the exact style of bike I'm interested in. I like the idea of the ones with the full-size wheels, but the seat height goes up to 37" on those, too tall for me. I assume they're chinese engines? Anyone seen a pitster pro up close to see the quality/reliability? They look great in the videos.

EDIT: after reading reviews, they seem like really solid bikes. They are made in China, but a lot of the parts are interchangeable with a crf230. I'm very intrigued.

Last edited:

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Steve,

The Husqvarna I picked up comes out of the box as one of the tallest bikes on the market it however had a 2" lowering kit in the front and rear suspension which consisted of limiting spacers (lowering links are dangerous imo) and shorter springs. Along with a TON of material cut out of the seat. Whoever owned this bike before me was a midget no doubt about it! You could have easily touched both feet on the ground no problem...

That said Yamaha IT175-200 all the way! Who cares if they are old... They are tough as nails, simple, parts are everywhere, they are short enough and a great bike for taming the AFC trails. Plus they have a lighting coil for the 2nd annual AFC night-ride (I didn't make the first one and I've regretted it ever since!):D \\

Here's a couple I've found on a quick search. The IT's don't pop up very often, but I'll try to keep an eye out.

Not sure about this one. Maybe it just needs some tlc? http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=19202830&cat=236&lpid=7&search=Yamaha IT

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=17599714&cat=236&lpid=13&search=Yamaha IT

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=19233339&cat=236&lpid=1&search=XR