time for another ham radio discussion

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
My recent trip on the Rubicon Trail has made me want to seriously look into getting a license. I know I asked a few (very) general questions about ham radio here in the past, but now I have some new questions. I decided it would be better to make a new thread rather than resurrect an old one that might confuse everybody.

I know there are three classes (Technician, General, Extra). I know each class grants use of specific frequency bands. Which license/class would I need/want? Which class do you guys have? For those of you who just ran the Rubicon with me, which class(es) cover the frequencies you used on that trip?

I guess I'm looking for someone to tell me which direction is the appropriate one for me.

Just get the tech. That should cover what you need. If you get more interested in other things like worldwide communication, you can always get that later.

Eric
KE7EDE

flexyfool

GDW
If you just want to be connected in areas with no cell phone reception, you can rent an Iridium satellite phone or send texts with a smartphone through the SPOT Connect.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
A technician license is all 99% of off-roaders will need (or want?), there are some added privileges with upgraded licenses but they generally don't do much for vehicle to vehicle comms found in the majority of 4x4 users. Beyond that, invest in a good 2M radio, 70CM is also common but likely 5-10% of the use 2M gets amongst 4x4 users in my experience. Get a good antenna and perform a clean install... it will take you exactly one contact (conversation with another ham user) to see why it prevails over CB use. That is not to say it will completely replace your CB, just that you won't want to use it unless that is your only vehicle to vehicle option. While the CB is limited to vehicle to vehicle comms, the ham can also be used for emergency needs or talking back to a base camp. KE7FYQ

Last edited:

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
If you just want to be connected in areas with no cell phone reception, you can rent an Iridium satellite phone or send texts with a smartphone through the SPOT Connect.

That's not exactly what I'm trying to accomplish.

On our run of the Rubicon a few days ago, we had a group of 9 Jeeps. Each one had communication equipment on board. Some (such as myself) had only a CB radio, some had only a ham radio, and a few had both CB & ham equipment. There were a number of times when conversations took place on ham and thus I could not hear them; in these moments I thought it would be handy to have a license of my own.

There was an instance on day 1 where we had to split into two or three groups. At this time, all communication between the three groups was handled via ham radio. Again, I thought it would be nice to have a ham unit.

At the end of the trip, we broke up for various reasons. For a while, I was alone and heading back to my trailer. I thought I was near Brett (who was also alone and had headed back to our trailers ahead of me), so I kept calling out to him on my CB. No luck. I got to the trailers and was surprised to see that he wasn't there. It turns out he needed to go on a large detour in search of gasoline before he could make it to our rendezvous point. If I had had ham equipment, I would have known this all along... and that would have been really handy, I thought.

My motivation really comes down to two desires:

1) Desire to talk to others with ham equipment
2) Desire to talk to others over greater distances than CB is capable of reaching

From what others have said in this thread, it sounds like a Technician license will suit me just fine. Now I just need to buy myself a book and begin studying.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Your two desires are fully covered by the tech. Later on, if you find your totally into it and want some more operating range and options you pay another $8 and go take the next grade test. Going from nothing to a tech is fairly easy and I think the leap from tech to general would be similar assuming your comfortable with the tech basics.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Your two desires are fully covered by the tech.

Thanks for yet another confirmation that Tech will work for me.

Today on the way to work, I stopped by Bartles & James and picked up my manual:

31XTNxAB6vL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click-small,TopRight,12,-30_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Now I've just got to dive into it.

Thanks for yet another confirmation that Tech will work for me.

Today on the way to work, I stopped by Bartles & James and picked up my manual:

31XTNxAB6vL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click-small,TopRight,12,-30_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Now I've just got to dive into it.

Dempsey,

Tech will work for what you are describing. Matt is Tech, I'm Extra. Matt was doing everything that you are describing. And I wasn't doing anything that couldn't be done with Tech.

Check out my comments in the other ham threads to see the quickest/easiest way to get your license, in my humble opinion. It's how Matt did it when he was 11, and how Noah will do it while 10.

And then you'll want to buy mobile units for the burb and the Jeep, plus a handy talkie. :-D

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Tech will work for what you are describing. Matt is Tech, I'm Extra. Matt was doing everything that you are describing. And I wasn't doing anything that couldn't be done with Tech.

Awesome--this is exactly what I was hoping to hear. I was waiting for you to comment in this thread.

And then you'll want to buy mobile units for the burb and the Jeep, plus a handy talkie. :-D

Oh, I'm sure I'll start a 'which radio should I buy' thread once I get my license. :D

I really like the Yaesu FT2800M that is in the X and jeep, and the 2600 that is in Matt's jeep. I can program the repeaters and then download it to the radio on the 2800. Only downside is that they are not dualband. My HT is a cheap Chinese unit that is easily programmed from the laptop. I'd like to get one of the nicer ones, but will probably just get another cheap one since I can download the program that I already have.

Matt won his Kenwood as a door prize the night he took the exam. Pretty sweet.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
All this is getting my wheels turning.

I always thought HAM was for that crazy old guy in your neighborhood with 70ft antennas in his backyard and an underground bunker to protect him from ze Gahmans.

Now it seems kinda cool.

Here are a couple of helpful links here on RME:
http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?92103-HAM-Radio-class-certification&highlight=practice+test post #12

and some discussion here:
http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?94237-Who-has-a-FCC-licence-for-HAM-operation&highlight=ham

Get one of the online study guides, take some online tests, nail down when the next test session is, and go do it.

EDIT: Next session in SLC area is Tues, July 30. I'm gonna try and have my 10yo there. :D

oops, address correction to:
Senior Center in the Columbus Center
2530 S. 500 East
Park on west side of building; Come in west entrance;
Take first door on the left.
Last Tuesday of each month except December, 7 P.M.

Last edited: