Time in Oahu

Tonkaman

In May we are going to Oahu, Hawaii for 14 days. The purpose of the visit is my wife’s family reunion and that will take up the first few days of the trip. We have a house for the first 7 days in Waianae (west side of the island) that we are sharing with a big group of family. After that first week I’d like to spend the next 7 days driving full circle around the island hitting all the cool stops.

How long does it take to drive around the island? If I plan to move every-other night will that be a good pace to not be too fast/slow?

Should I try to get a travel agent to book the entire 7 days? Or just call and book places myself?

Any places that stick out as a must see or as overrated?

Jesser04

I think 14 days on Oahu is a lot. You may want to look into inner island flights it’s been 7 years since we were there but you could jump islands for under a 100 bucks. If it’s still that cheap I’d go to Maui for 2-3 days and check out the road to Hana.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Its about a half a day to drive all the way around the island. If you stop and check out stuff its pretty much a full day. Stop by Lanikai beach, and if you want to stay on a different part of the island Kailua and Kaneohe are pretty nice. West shore where you are staying is more dry looking, same with the extreme north shore. East shore is little more wet and very nice to look at.

Snorkeling in Hanauma Bay is really good. Also need to check out pearl harbor if you haven't before. Waikiki is another good stop, but downtown Honolulu is a bit like Vegas. Waikiki beach is going to be super crowded. But if you want to try your hand at surfing its a good spot. Some neat hikes on the island if you want to do that.

But as Jesser said 14 days on Oahu is a lot. Grab a short flight and check out the other islands. Each has something different to offer. Road to Hana will eat up a full day in Maui. Get reservations for Haleakala is pretty neat as well. Big island and Kauai are awesome as well

For cheap inter-island flights check out Mokulele airlines (shameless plug for my future employer) They go to all the major islands but Kauai

Caleb

We go to Hawaii every year but it's been 10 years since we've been to Oahu. However, we always enjoyed the night show at the Polynesian Cultural Center. Other than that, I too would recommend jumping to another island. Maui and Kauai are our favorite islands. Road to Hana is pretty awesome, if you do it, pay a few bucks and download the app Road to Hana Maui GyPSy Guide. It's a guided tour of the entire road that's GPS driven so it will tell you exactly when to stop to see waterfalls, gives you TONS of history, points out different things, etc and if you want to stop at a spot for some extra time, it picks right back up where you left off because it's GPS based. They have a version for the entire island too if you're wanting to see other things. I believe they have versions for the other islands as well. Worth the purchase.

Really, when we go, we don't plan anything. We may have a few things we'd like to hit at some point, but we go to enjoy it. Our funnest trip was one that we would go drive around Kauai and find random beaches and just go swim. Always had the entire place to ourselves, super relaxed, etc.
The Big Island tends to be the cheapest. Still a good time but the Kona side is ugly and dry (black lava rocks every where, very little vegetation, etc). Being dry has the advantage of just that...you're not dealing with rain. It's also something to keep in mind that just because it's raining, doesn't always mean no beach, pool, or whatever. It's still warm and every bit as fun as long as it's not lightening.

As mentioned, multi-day trips around any of the islands is way too long. Even on the big island, I could see one day making your way over to the other side and a day coming back, most the other islands, depending on how much you stop, it's a half day to a day tops.

We've been debating when to do our trip this year. We usually go some time in April or May but this year I think we're going to go a little later. If this is your first trip over, it doesn't matter what you do, you'll have a good time and you'll have a million things you didn't do that you wish you could have. Most important is to remember that everything/one is on island time and you just need to kick back, relax, and enjoy it. Oh, and don't be surprised to see 40mph speed limits on the freeway :rofl:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I'll also say jump around to other islands, there is SO much to see among all the islands. My fav's are checking out the North Shore, exploring Waipi’o valley and hiking the NaPali Coast. I was born in Hilo, lived in Hawaii until I was 8 yrs old.... didn't go back until I got married. And still haven't been back since then. :(

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I say take a kayak excursion to the Molokai? Islands from Lanakai beach. That was an awesome experience.

Tonkaman

Great feedback guys! I should have added that we plan to make many trips to Hawaii over the next few years. Since my wife is Hawaiian and starting to connect back with the family still living on various islands. Each year we will make a week or 2 out of just soaking up each islands personality.

Really, when we go, we don't plan anything. We may have a few things we'd like to hit at some point, but we go to enjoy it.
By this you mean you don’t plan a hard agenda right? You still book your rooms in advance correct? Normally on trips I like to just book rooms at our own pace, but I don’t dare try that in Hawaii.

Its about a half a day to drive all the way around the island. If you stop and check out stuff its pretty much a full day. Stop by Lanikai beach, and if you want to stay on a different part of the island Kailua and Kaneohe are pretty nice. West shore where you are staying is more dry looking, same with the extreme north shore. East shore is little more wet and very nice to look at.

Snorkeling in Hanauma Bay is really good. Also need to check out pearl harbor if you haven't before. Waikiki is another good stop, but downtown Honolulu is a bit like Vegas. Waikiki beach is going to be super crowded. But if you want to try your hand at surfing its a good spot. Some neat hikes on the island if you want to do that.

But as Jesser said 14 days on Oahu is a lot. Grab a short flight and check out the other islands. Each has something different to offer. Road to Hana will eat up a full day in Maui. Get reservations for Haleakala is pretty neat as well. Big island and Kauai are awesome as well

For cheap inter-island flights check out Mokulele airlines (shameless plug for my future employer) They go to all the major islands but Kauai

Great info, thanks. I’m shocked that it only takes a day to drive around! I was way off on my guesses ha ha. All those places are on my short list of stops already. I am going to avoid Waikiki at all costs until the very last night before flying home. Congrats on the new job! I’ll be sure to check out that airline, I’m sure we will be island hopping many times over the next few years.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I went to hawaii when I was 10 and thought the PCC was the coolest thing in the world. There is a photo somewhere of me wearing a grass skirt without a shirt up on a stage banging a big drum. We did like two or three days there alone and I was so tired that I slept through the big night show.

Same trip but I also pulled the fire alarm at the hotel when we hopped over to the big island for a night. Not because there was a fire or anything but I just wanted to touch it, so many trips back and forth carrying bags from the car to the room....lol.

You guys are going to love it.

Caleb

By this you mean you don’t plan a hard agenda right? You still book your rooms in advance correct? Normally on trips I like to just book rooms at our own pace, but I don’t dare try that in Hawaii.

Yeah, we usually rent a house. We book our place to stay, the flights, and a vehicle. Other than that, we play it by ear.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Congrats!

Not permanent, likely only 9-12 months. Unless I really dig it and can survive after getting a pay increase after about 6 months. Hence the selling of guns and stuff. Also not official yet, waiting on a date for training.

Tonkaman

I went to hawaii when I was 10 and thought the PCC was the coolest thing in the world. There is a photo somewhere of me wearing a grass skirt without a shirt up on a stage banging a big drum. We did like two or three days there alone and I was so tired that I slept through the big night show.

Same trip but I also pulled the fire alarm at the hotel when we hopped over to the big island for a night. Not because there was a fire or anything but I just wanted to touch it, so many trips back and forth carrying bags from the car to the room....lol.

You guys are going to love it.
Ha ha don’t tell my daughter about the fire alarm story! I’m hoping my daughter will remember this vacation for the rest of her life.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
My advice would be to go to Kauai for some of the time.
We typically only spend a handful of days on Oahu and as little time as possible in Waikiki/Honolulu. Laie is more my speed. I wouldn't suggest Pearl Harbor because I did it once and didn't care for it but I'm not a history site-seeing type. I just want to be in the water the whole time.