2004 Jeep LJ

Engine-
Stock 4.0

Transmission-
Stock 42RLE (auto)

T-Case-
Stock NP231 with Savvy cable shifter and Slip Yoke Eliminator

Axles-
FRONT: JK Rubicon Dana 44 with truss, sleeves, gussets, RCV's, Cryo treated 5.38's and Ox air locker, JK steering, home made track bar & Teraflex flipped drag link.
REAR: Teraflex semi float CRD60, 5.38's and ARB.

Suspension-
FRONT: Core 4x4 short arms with Johnny Joints all around, 3.5" front RK coils, Billstien 5100 shocks, Antirock and custom track bar.
REAR: Custom 4-ling, triangulated uppers with Artec frame brackets, and Metalcloak joints, 2.5" rear RK coils, outboarded rears with 12" Billstien 5125 shocks.

Wheels and Tires-
17" Pro Comp Series 85 bead lock wheels with 40" Pro Comp MT2's

Winch-
Warn VR 8000 synthetic with the solenoid stashed under the hood & wireless remote.

Favorite Trails-
- The Maze
- John's Trail
- Hell's Revenge
- Milt's Mile
- Fawlty Towers
- Cliffhanger
- Golden Spike

Other-
- 110" wheelbase with frame stretch
- Poison Spyder "Daddy Longlegs" rear corner armor
- JCR highline fenders
- Poison Spyder Rock Brawler front bumper
- Swag Off Road Big Hit rear bumper
- Home made flat t-case skid with DIY trans crossmember
- Teraflex engine oil pan skid that ties into trans skid
- Rokmen gas tank skid
- Warrior sliders
- 1.25" JKS body lift, 1" M.O.R.E. motor mounts
- Adam's rear driveshaft
- Crown extended brake lines
- Magnaflow muffler
- 1993 Ford Explorer 9-blade fan & clutch
- LED headlights
- LUX MAX magnetic rock lights (8)
- 20w LED spot lights mounted to front coil buckets
- 13" low profile LED bar mounted under winch bar
- Savvy low profile LED tail lights
- Stock hard top, Bestop OEM style soft top, Spiderweb shade
- Savvy aluminum half doors
- Savvy aluminum tailgate skin
- Kentrol tailgate hinges
- Cobra CB 75WXST
- 3' Firestik antenna w/ low profile coaxial cable
- BaoFeng BF-F8HP
- 10lb co2 tank for tires
- OX Locker Duty Compressor for lockers
- 1.25" alloy seat risers
- Black Widow Roof Rack extension modified to fit LJ cargo area
- Pioneer MVH-S600BS
- Metra double din Dash Kit
- Polk Audio DB 522 5.25 speakers with Select Increments Dash-Pods
- Roswell 6510 In-Boat Speakers in roof bar

See later posts for current photos. She's constantly evolving.

Last edited:

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
I really like how this turned out. I might need to crawl under it when we are on the trail next to get a closer look, that rear 4 link looks super clean!

LJTim

The cage has worked out well, although, I keep putting off re-installing my speakers and soft top door surrounds. I'm just loving how simple and clean it looks without them on there. I have been thinking of painting my windshield frame black for a while. My jeep has a lot of small rock chips in the paint. The windshield frame might have been the worst of that. Since the windshield took an accidental hit from a piece of tubing from the cage install, I figured it was time to give paint it, since the windshield trim would be replaced anyway.
IMG_3473.JPG
IMG_3475.JPG
IMG_3476.JPG

Caleb

Man, I really dig this rig. When I think about building something again, this is about 95% spot on to what I would be building starting completely over.

Last edited:

LJTim

Thanks everyone for the very kind words. It has been a fun process for sure. I have had some serious fears along the way, that the more modified it would become, the worse it would drive. It is now driving better than it did stock. I have a hard time leaving it in the garage, and I end up driving it to work more than I should. I take a gamble with the cops every time I do.

LJTim

I'm not sure why it took so long to do this simple upgrade. Hydro assist is done. I was super nervous about how it would drive on the road, particularly on the highway. It actually drives better in every way. Looking forward to seeing how it handles the rocks. Next week at Trail Hero will be a great test. I have at least 9 trails lined up.
59123597968__2705BF30-CB37-4F67-9629-16F8DEA859A3.JPG
IMG_4011.JPG
IMG_4012.JPG

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Good to hear! I'm going to be doing hydro assist on the taco when I tear into it again next and I was hoping it will either be not noticeable on the road or at least improve the feel.

Hit Moab with us around the 19th of Oct!

LJTim

Hit Moab with us around the 19th of Oct!
I would love to, but I'm doing another Vernal trip that weekend, and that will be my last trip of the year. It is time to give it a rest. I have been wheeling 2-3 times a month all summer and fall and my wife is getting burned out on me being gone.