Tire recommendations

JeepChik40

Been a few years since I've utilized this site. Asking for recommendations for purchasing new tires for my 2016 Sahara Unlimited.
I had Toyo's on my last jeep but not sure what model they were.
The Sahara is my daily driver as well, roughly 80 miles round trip.
Needing good daily drivers & traction for winter.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
I think it's getting kind of hard to buy a bad set of tires. With computer modeling and such, manufacturers are getting pretty good at making tires. I don't think you can go very wrong as long as you stick to name brand, and sometimes even if you don't.

If you're looking for an all around tire that will see pavement, dirt, and snow/ice, look for an AT tire with good siping and preferably the mountain snowflake symbol. I've had good luck with BFG KO2, General Grabber AT2, Toyo Open Country, Goodyear Duratracs. No gripes about any of them except for the Duratracs, and that's just because I think they were a little underwhelming for the price. If you can get them on sale they're still decent tires.

dutchman

KI7KSV
I've had the Falken Wildpeak AT3W on my truck for the past 40,000 miles. Haven't had any reason not to like them, plan on getting another set when these wear our.

Die Blaue Ziege

Working on a Ford somewhere
If you can buy them in the size you want the Good Year wrangler authority's are a great quiet riding tire great for snow and for trail. They fall somewhere between the at and the duratracs. And they are a good price.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I've been running BFG AT's, specifically the KO2's for as long as I can remember on most of my off-road rigs. They've always performed well for me and have lasted 50k miles +. My new to me truck has wild peaks on it. I haven't driven it off-road or in bad weather yet, so I haven't formed an opinion on them.

I had toyo mt's on my 2010 JKU. They we loud and heavy. I didn't care for them. I don't recall their performance off-road so they were neither good nor bad.

I had duratracs on my Tundra. I hated those tires. They were louder than then Toyos on my Jeep and wore fast. I didn't use the Tundra off-road so never formed an opinion on their off-road performance, but I didn't like them on road.

xjtony

We ran duratracs on our work trucks for years, but it seems like Goodyear changed the compound or something. They just dont hold up. I'm running toyo open country AT3s now and they have been decent

RockChucker

I have KO2s on my 3/4 ton pickup. Replaced Duratracs. Couldn't really complain about the duratracs life. They gave me 45k miles. Definitely loud towards end of life. But I disliked towing with them. 2 ply sidewalls seemed pretty noodly. They were pretty decent on snowy roads for the first 3/4 of their life. The 3 ply sidewalls in the KO2 make for a much more enjoyable towing experience. I was torn between the KO2 and Falken AT3W or whatever it's called. Both had 3 ply sidewalls. Went with the BFG because I could get them cheaper.

To note, I don't offroad my truck. It will see dirt roads occasionally, but definitely nothing major. Maybe like driving over butterfield canyon or off the highway a bit to park and unload my Jeep.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I've been happy with my Cooper ATP's and also my General Grabber AT's. Both perform well and are significantly cheaper than the BFG's.

But like Kevin said, almost all tires are good. And EVERYONE will have a different opinion.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I buy Discount Tire "house" brands. The set I've had on my 1500 for the last few years is a Pathfinder AT which is just a rebadged Hankook Dynapro AT. I always tell myself I'm going to get BFG's but then tire time comes around and I look at the prices and quickly jump back into a cheaper tire. No complaints though

zgfiredude

Old Fart in Training...
BFG KO2 has been a good to really good all around tire and has quite good snow traction in my experience.....however, it seems that recently it has lost some of it's premium construction of years past and I've found it quite difficult to balance.

I don't have personal experience with either the Falken AT3W or the Toyo Open Country A/T III, but one of those two is likely my next tire (next spring). I currently have Cooper ST Maxx on my JKUR and so far they've been good but they haven't seen snow. They just don't come in the size I want to go to post lift next spring.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
^ The ST Maxx are right near the top of my list of favorite tires, they were great everywhere I took them. They might be a little more aggressive than OP was looking for though?

Die Blaue Ziege

Working on a Ford somewhere
I will echo others, duratracs are loud and Rob your mpg, my 5.4l went from 17 mpg to a solid 13, they are noisy and vibrate on the highway. but they do have great traction in the snow, mud and ice. I would not buy them for a daily driver. But the ones I was recommending are the Goodyear Authority's they are quiet, do good in the snow and mud, and are downright cheap for 31's on my tj

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I've always been fond of the BFG AT KO series tire's and got like 40k+ out of them on my tacoma with heavy offload use. I have them on my f150 and I've only got a little over 35k on them and they are about done. They are the "ford" spec raptor versio (315/70/17). Not sure if that makes the compound softer or what, but this truck hardly sees dirt now that I'm lame and I don't feel like I'm driving particularly aggressively. I used to get good mileage out of my tow rig tires...is the AT KO just too soft for the f150 to get any decent wear out of them?

zgfiredude

Old Fart in Training...
I read it on the internet.......... ;) your results and feelings mirror mine. There is "opinion" on the net that within the last few years that something changed in how the beloved KO2 is built and how well it is built. My personal experience is that they are tough to balance requiring a lot of weight, don't stay balanced well as a result, and that they wear faster and in odd ways. Is it all due to the amount of weight or not......I don't know. However, they just NOT as good as they used to be.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I'm fine switching brands and I like the falken, Cooper, and general options... But I'm weary of going to a load range e. The bfg is C2... A lot of others are E. I'm rarely towing so I'm more concerned with ride quality than handling weight.