TJ Front End Options

Slangy

Sgt. CulPepper
We sold one of our Jeeps that we had sitting around and decided to take the money from it and ditch the Dana 30 front end. It treated us very well for what we put it up against, but it is time to move on.

In a perfect world, we would stretch it and put on 60's with 40's, but we don't have the time, nor do we want to spend all the funds to get the Jeep to that point. I am very light on the pedal, and I don't beat my junk very hard, so I think it may be possible to get away with a dana 44. We want to go with 37's, but I don't think that would be a great choice without some sort of stretch in the front, and I don't want to tackle that project yet. So let's assume 35-37's.

Our biggest issue is the brakes. When we put in that heavy V8, we lost all braking. We did Steel Bender and damn near endoed as the brakes basically let us fall without holding us back. I have been looking at aftermarket front ends I can buy and bolt up, but the problem I am having is they all want you to use your existing brakes, which does us no good.

So I figured I would ask some of your opinions. If you were in the same situation, what route would you go?

Thanks in advance for your input. Let me know if my ramblings don't make any sense :)

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
For economy, a JK front 44 with upgraded brakes would do just fine with 37 inch tires (you'd need to address the wheel bolt pattern). You can stretch the front of a TJ a couple of inches without too much trouble - you need to watch the steering links and trackbar. It's definitely doable and worth your effort if you're already changing the axle.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
The WJ upgrade would be my suggestion. The brakes are dual piston with 12" rotors. My son's old WJ upgrade parts are at my house and I'm sure he'd let them go for cheap.
Im interested in these. I'd just have to have Carlos cut the axle side parts I assume.

You could always go the Teraflex JK Dana 44 route. It's money but the ring and pinion is larger/stronger, the housing is stronger than a TJ 44 and you can get JK knuckles, better steering and better brakes with lots of options for brake upgrades.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Im interested in these. I'd just have to have Carlos cut the axle side parts I assume.

You could always go the Teraflex JK Dana 44 route. It's money but the ring and pinion is larger/stronger, the housing is stronger than a TJ 44 and you can get JK knuckles, better steering and better brakes with lots of options for brake upgrades.
No cutting needed. It's already been done. You can cut the modified track bar mount off of the Dana 30 in my back yard. You would probably want to buy the new ball joints though.

DAA

If you end up with a TJ 44 or 30 (and 17" wheels), there's this option for 13.25" rotors and 48mm dual piston calipers.

Better brakes for the LJ | RME4x4.com

LJ%20Brakes-112W.jpg

Stops my heavy LJ on 35's real, real good. I mean, good. No change to steering or master cylinder.

- DAA

Slangy

Sgt. CulPepper
The WJ upgrade would be my suggestion. The brakes are dual piston with 12" rotors. My son's old WJ upgrade parts are at my house and I'm sure he'd let them go for cheap.
This is a few weeks old, but I was curious if your son still has the wj knuckles and other parts sitting around your house? I think we are going to just buy a front end from Dynatrc or teraflex and we would do the wj upgrade. Thanks