TJ Manual to Automatic Swap

rholbrook

Besides the obvious transmission, what would be needed to swap the manual transmission out of a TJ and put in an automatic transmission? It as simple as just swapping out the transmission or does it need the computer changed as well?

TJustin

Porch Dog
Supporting Member
If you put the TF999 in, there isnt computer changes because the tranny doesnt need electronics to shift etc...

if you were to do an AW4 swap for example, you would have to do some wiring changes, and thats actually swung my decision to get keep the NV3550.

jdub

Scrambler
Is it because the motor behaves different with an auto? Will there be idling issues and running issues due to the increased draw that the auto's have?

TJustin

Porch Dog
Supporting Member
Is it because the motor behaves different with an auto? Will there be idling issues and running issues due to the increased draw that the auto's have?

No, the reason behind it is if you install an AW4, its all computer controlled. The shifter is electronic, and needs a computer to tell it when to shift. From what I have seen you need to do some pretty heavy splicing to the wiring harness and that turned me off.

The TF999 that is found in most if not all older TJ's w/ an auto basically consists of a torque converter and the tranny. The shifter is a linkage cable that connects to the transmission. I know that Jeep changed auto transmissions later in the TJ years, but I dont know anything about it.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Not sure about all years TJ, but my 04 had the harness in place for the auto - look at the back of the motor on the firewall. On mine I had two connectors there. One went to the motor and the other goes to the auto trans. So a simple computer change and add the auto trans pigtail and you should be set.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
I'd rather have an AW4 than a 42RLE..... The 42RLE has issues with loss of drive when on fairly extreme angles. The AW4 does as well, but there are deep sump pans that will solve that issue.