TJ rubicon 35” on 16”

str8axleguy

Anyone running 35 ish tires on 16” wheels? I’m wondering if it’s ok to run d or e range tires on a light wrangler. Or do you guys prefer 15” wheels and 35” tires in a c range. There are not a lot of d range tires in a 315/75/r16 and to me the E range seem awful heavy for a TJ

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
They'll probably ride a little stiff, but there are no safety or wear concerns that I can think of. If you're set on 16" wheels, I'd run E's without heartache.

15s are like mullets these days, and I wouldn't bother with them unless you are saving a ton of money because you already have wheels, get some free, etc...

16s are even getting harder to find tires for these days as you've noticed. If you're buying wheels and tires, I'd suggest 17s just because they're much more common in different sizes and load ranges these days.

str8axleguy

That is what I was thinking too. Got a free to me set of 16” wheels. I can find D range but the more aggressive treads are E and they are speeny and heavy at like 80 pounds a tire. Even the bfg mt km2 are E in a 315. Trying to decide if it’s worth running the 16” or just saving up and buying 17”s

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I'm running 16's and 35" D rated BFG KM2's on my LJ. They hold the weight of the Lj easy at 10psi. I normally run them at 35psi on the street. They last 60k miles as an added benefit. I'm going to move to 37's this year and they are really hard to find in a 16 but 35's are still easy to find.

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
Agreed that 17”s are much easier to find but I’ve had a hard time finding rims with enough back spacing to clear my leaf springs at full lock. Seems like 15” had more options