TJ - Tons, 6.0L, Atlas, Treps, Coilovers, etc.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
This pains me :-\ After a trip to Europe last summer we realized at this point in our lives with young kids (hopefully one or 2 more in the near future), traveling with them is easier and more relaxing/enjoyable than rock crawling. With our telecommuting jobs we can take extended trips and work on the road, so we're selling Jezebel to fund an RV purchase. We'll probably end up with another JK or a SxS in a year or two. I doubt we could last long without something to wheel.

This has been a great rig, I've always tried to use components that would perform the best and last the longest. I never imagined I would be selling it. We have wheeled it hard and always enjoyed it. It has been flopped a few times and rolled once. Comes with an unpainted hood (with hood pin holes and highline already cut), I could just never get myself to paint it knowing how we wheel. In the back we currently have 2 car seats mounted to the tub (because twins). We also have a bench seat with mounts.

Engine/Trans/Tcase
  • 2003 6.0L LQ4. Completely stock, and has always ran great for us.
  • Drive by wire, harness and tune by Wayne Hartwig.
  • 3 Quart Accusump oil accululator.
  • Radiator is a PWR with a built in shroud and 2 spal fans.
  • Transmission is a TH400 recent build by Monster Transmissions. I used a standard valve body/shift pattern on this one. My previous setup used a reverse pattern manual valve body, and I like this setup a lot better. Cooler with a dedicated fan.
  • Atlas is a 4.3:1 2 speed with cable shifters. Clocked flat. Roark atlas mount - although it's not currently being used. 32 spline 1310 yokes front and rear.
  • Art Carr shifter that's now labeled incorrectly (went from RMVB to standard shift pattern)
Axles
  • Front end is an '86 Ford Kingpin
  • Yukon alloy shafts on inner and outers
  • Yukon drive flanges
  • 14 bolt with pinion guard, disc break conversion and lip shaved off
  • 5.13's and spools front and rear
  • Barnes diff covers front and rear. Rear is the high clearance shave cover
  • Tom Wood's driveshafts.
Suspension
  • 14" Fox 2.0 Coilovers on all 4 corners.
  • Eibach springs
  • Fox 2.0 Air Bumps on all 4
  • Front spring rates are 200 over 275
  • Rear spring rates are 175 over 250
  • 4 limit straps
  • QA1 Heims
  • 4 link rear, 3 link/panhard front - suspension has always worked great
Electrical/Fuel
  • 12voltguy switch panel. All relays are behind the dash in a very easy to troubleshoot wiring layout.
  • Autometer gauges - oil pressure and engine temp connected. Speedo and Tach are not connected.
  • Currently running a E2000 with a pickup at the bottom of 10 gallon polymer tank.
  • Braided lines all around and only used Russell AN fittings.
Other
  • Tires are 40" Trepadors with decent tread left. Always avoided asphalt like the plague. One currently has a single plug.
  • Walker Evans wheels. Rock rash on rings, no major damage.
  • Winch is a Warn XD9000i with amsteel 5/16"x125' synthetic rope that is a few years old at this point. Controls are in cab.
  • Summit Machine aluminum fairlead
  • Cage is 1.75x.120 DOM professionally built
  • Frame modification to clear coilovers, suspension setup and exhaust were all professionally done
  • Boat sides were done professionally also - grafted into tub. We've pivoted the whole rig around these sides, they're stout
  • Brand new Optima red top (sticker is 11/16)
  • Two fire extinguishers mounted
  • Roof is a single piece of 1/8" aluminum
  • Steering is a full Howe system with a single ended ram
  • Tie rod is a Summit Machine 1.25" 7071 aluminum
  • Engine hoop mounted inside the grill (didn't want the look of a big stinger, but the hood paid the price).
  • PRP seats with Simpson 5 point harnesses and shoulder pads
Currently setup as a family rig with tons of storage (cooler, action packer, 2 ammo cans, 2 gallon rotopax container for water)... It's ready to wheel as it sits. I can include our flat deck 18' PJ's trailer for an extra $1k.

Build thread can be found here: https://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?70958-Ben-and-Kami%92s-TJ-Overhaul

Price is $19,000. Located in St. George, UT. Contact via PM and we can call/text/email from there.

Jeep1.jpg

Jeep12.jpg

Jeep11.jpg

Jeep10.jpg

Jeep9.jpg

Jeep8.jpg

Jeep7.jpg

Jeep6.jpg

Jeep3.jpg

Jeep95.jpg

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I just saw that you listed it on RCFS and was like nooooooo! It bums me out to think of you guys not having this for OSRC.
That being said, I'll upgrade your listing and add more of these photos. GLWS

hardline90

Real rigs are built!
What the heck????? I take a year off to build my new rig and now that it is close to being done, your going a different direction? What the heck???? Seriously, this is an awesome rig and IF it sells, you better get something again in the future......

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I just saw that you listed it on RCFS and was like nooooooo! It bums me out to think of you guys not having this for OSRC.
That being said, I'll upgrade your listing and add more of these photos. GLWS

Agree

This rig works so well! I wish I was in a position to buy it.

Good luck.

Agree again

i do not approve of the sale of this vehicle.

seriously though, amazing rig, and i hope our paths still cross in the future!

Agree again

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Agree again

....Seriously, this is an awesome rig and IF it sells, you better get something again in the future......

Agree again

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Thanks guys, it really has been a fun project. Kind of crazy to let it go. It really has been a part of our lives for a long time now.

i do not approve of the sale of this vehicle.

seriously though, amazing rig, and i hope our paths still cross in the future!

:D

What the heck????? I take a year off to build my new rig and now that it is close to being done, your going a different direction? What the heck???? Seriously, this is an awesome rig and IF it sells, you better get something again in the future......

I know, I know. I hadn't seen enough of the Cooks in StG so I figured we might as well list it :)

hardline90

Real rigs are built!
Thanks guys, it really has been a fun project. Kind of crazy to let it go. It really has been a part of our lives for a long time now.

:D

I know, I know. I hadn't seen enough of the Cooks in StG so I figured we might as well list it :)

I'll come down next weekend, I need to try this thing out. Just keep the Jeep and buy an RV. Best of both worlds and you have something to stay in when you go wheeling. :)

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Wow, Ben & Kami.... I'm at a loss for words. :( I totally understand where you're coming from and why you'd put this up for sale but it's unexpected! I hope it doesn't sell and you have to keep it! :p

I'm sitting here wondering how I can come up with $19k real quickly... :eek: (I do need a new daily driver.... wonder how this would do!) How about a partial trade for a KTM 990 Adventure, 3 different Willy's Flatfender projects & some cash? :greg: :freak:

Seriously, for the price this is a steal. I sold my built TJ for $18k and it was sitting on TJ coil springs, no air bumps, a 5.3 and TH350, etc, etc, etc. The value in this TJ is much higher than the price.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Wow, Ben & Kami.... I'm at a loss for words. :( I totally understand where you're coming from and why you'd put this up for sale but it's unexpected! I hope it doesn't sell and you have to keep it! :p

I'm sitting here wondering how I can come up with $19k real quickly... :eek: (I do need a new daily driver.... wonder how this would do!) How about a partial trade for a KTM 990 Adventure, 3 different Willy's Flatfender projects & some cash? :greg: :freak:

Seriously, for the price this is a steal. I sold my built TJ for $18k and it was sitting on TJ coil springs, no air bumps, a 5.3 and TH350, etc, etc, etc. The value in this TJ is much higher than the price.

Do you regret selling yours? We should have bought it when you had it up, would have saved me a grundle of $ in the long run. I think I would have been very happy with your setup. Go fast never really worked for us.

It will probably sell this week. Two guys are really interested.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Do you regret selling yours? We should have bought it when you had it up, would have saved me a grundle of $ in the long run. I think I would have been very happy with your setup. Go fast never really worked for us.

It will probably sell this week. Two guys are really interested.

I regret it often, wish I could have kept it! I was laid off and it was an unknown time that I was going to be out of work, selling my TJ was the easiest thing. :(

I'm sure yours will sell fast, it's a great TJ for the money. Seriously, I wish I had the means to pick it up!

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Sold :( On it's way to SoCal. We were never able to get it out to the hammers, that will be its new stomping grounds