TJ Track bar bracket

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I've always been paranoid about breaking a front track bar on my Jeep. Having seen a few break its the weak point that always sits in the back of my mind. Well....my Teraflex front bar broke yesterday on Steel Bender, luckily, we were smack dab in the middle of the trail. Oddly, I always worry about the axle side, mine broke the tie rod on the frame side right above the taper. I was able to ratchet strap it in limp out but don't want to deal with that again. So what is everyone running for a track bar up front?
I want to get away from a tie rod and do a double shear rod end on the frame side. That seems way stronger. Anyone running this setup? What bracket/ TB did you use?

gatchmo5710

Ruffstuff specialties!!! Running their offset axle mount and frame mount, 7/8 hiems and 1.5 inch tube. Broke about 4 different setups until this one.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks

I'll get a better pic of the stud. Looks like it was broken about half way through previously and the last little bit just let go. Odd because I torque it to spec every few oil changes. I haven't stretched it by over tightening it. It did last 50k miles and lots ow wheeling.

DAA

That's where my BDS broke too. Down in the bottom of Dark Canyon corridor single vehicle style. Little bit of adventure spice.

IMG_0562W.JPG

I didn't look too closely into double shear or more custom fixes. Partly because with my low lift and large uptravel I was concerned with packaging and even more because I have no fab-foo.

So I replaced it with a Currie. Johnny Joint on the axle frame side, drill out the taper and use a big grade 8 bolt that ain't gonna break. Very rigid and hasn't ever tried to get loose on the axle end either. Been completely satisfied with it.

- DAA

LJTim

I made one, but there are a bunch out there with a similar design as mine. Artec, Genright, Ruff Stuff, TMR, or Barnes to name a few - all have something that will work. I prefer something simple, double shear. Basically 2 tabs with a gusset tieing the 2 together. Barnes is one piece, which is nice. Ruff Stuff pictured below.

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
Definitely go the route where you will replace the frame-side bracket. I've seen a few of the factory brackets break off of the frame. I'd also recommend the 7/8" heim versus anything smaller. Back when my TJ ran hydro assist, the smaller heims would wear out much quicker. Now with full hydro I don't have that problem (or a trackbar)

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
So I replaced it with a Currie. Johnny Joint on the axle frame side, drill out the taper and use a big grade 8 bolt that ain't gonna break. Very rigid and hasn't ever tried to get loose on the axle end either. Been completely satisfied with it.

- DAA
That's what I had in mind the whole way out, if it had a grade 8 bolt I could carry a spare and it isn't going to break there anyway.