Topic of Discussion TOD: Offroad preparedness

EZRhino

KalishnaKitty
Here's a similar thread

http://www.rockymountainextreme.com/showthread.php?t=14335&highlight=top+ten

Here's what I carry, or rather, have been carrying since the TTC in the back of my jeep:

A tackle box with:
baling wire
JB weld
cardboard to mix JBweld on
RS9000 shock knob controller
zip ties
tie plug kit with rubber cement
axle U bolts
leaf spring center pins
small box with various sized nuts and bolts
small length of small chain
short length of rubber hose (siphon)
duct tape (in rig)
TRE's
spare shackle hangers
spare fuel pump
hose clamps
clean rags
brake cleaner/solvent

and other stuff I don't recall until I get home and look

Also:
die grinder/cutoff tool

another small tackle box with everything electrical: fuses, wire, switches, crimp tool, test light, multi tester, crimp connectors, etc. (Dont usually bring in rig; leave in truck with other heavy junk like floor jack and starter.)

Against Carl's advice, I carry front and rear spare drivelines and complete pass side axle assy. Murphy's law says if you have it, you won't need it.

EZ

nate__82

The Mighty Green
Brad Yates said:
no one's mentioned a girl. girls have many benefits to produce an overall enjoyable offroading experience.

1. they will discourage you from doing anything dumb.
2. they will be impressed by anything your rigs successfully conquers.
3. they keep the conversation interesting.
4. they are early warning detectors.

i'm sure there's a lot more. all i know is i won't leave home without one!

i guess it depends on what girl you are bringing.. cause the one that usually comes with me ENCOURAGES me to do stupid things that i would normally be hesitant to do.. but she jumps right in with me!

ewander

Okay, here's what I bring:

1. Tool Bag:
gloves
TREs
big wrench set
wire
pliars of all shapes and sizes including snap rings and vice grips
scew driver set
big and small socket sets with weird ones
big crescent wrenches
tool magnet
fuses
file
rags
wire brush
2 X punches
zip ties
tire repair kit
BFH
quick air downs, tire guage
hose brackets
electical and duct tape
u-joints 1310 and 297
pickle fork
rubber mallet
gasket maker
thread sealer, thread locker
tons of JB weld variants
d-ring
drop pitman arm puller (I don't know why I take this)

2. Alternate Box
Fluids of all kinds
spare front axles (w/hubs, etc...)
2 X 25" tow straps one w/hooks, one w/out
more TREs, more u-joints, u-joint strps
nuts and bolts (various)
fluid catcher

3. Extrees
high-lift jack
spare driveline that works in the front or back
long trips (rubicon) I take a spare steering assembly
jacket
tarp
Glock 30 (.45) w/ 5 fully loaded magazines of Gold Dot Speer (hollow point)ammo.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something....I probably need a spare rear axle shaft.....anyone have a spare 29spline 8.25?

Lifelong Jeeper

I understand the need of having everything you need for your rig, but someone can end up toting a ton of parts and tools. When we go to Moab there are at least six Jeeps. Five TJ's and one YJ. If we all brought our own stuff there would be a lot of duplicate parts/tools so we coordinate with eachother on who will bring what. We are sure to duplicate really common tools/parts since there may be a need for more than one, but otherwise we have a complete mechanics tools set between all of us. Anything that is unique to your Jeep that the others don't have you are responsible for your own replacements at that point. We all carry camel backs for water and my plan has always been, if necessary, to use the bladder from it for fluid recovery. If I brake an axel shaft and need to crack the diff open to repair it my bladder will catch the oil and allow me to put it back in. New bladders aren't difficult to replace. Having good mechanical aptitude and some creativity will get you out of many situations. Everything else I bring with me has already been mentioned before so I won't repeat.

It is always a good idea to be prepared to spend the night on the trail. Years ago, before golden spike had painted trail markers, we got lost and had spend the night out there. It was June, but still way cold that night out there in the desert. It had to have been down in the 40's. Ever since I am always sure to have some sort of protective clothing from the elements.

Good thread. I like this.

Last edited:

toebeewon

Great ideas. Some things I did not notice so far;
Flashlights and/or lanterns. Hard to fix things in the dark, and sometimes you will need it in the daylight to see what needs to be repaired.
Traveling in groups and pooling your resources and not duplicating heavy less frequently needed items is a good idea. (was already mentioned, but worth repeating.)
Coveralls, gloves, saftey glasses, knife and shoes/boots good for hiking (you never know.)
Hose clamps, jumper cables, torch (small one that runs on little propane bottle, it can be used to start fires, loosen bolts, etc.)
On-board welder is nice, but out of reach for me.
Most people probably figure this is a given, but don't go without a winch, you can get some that are decent and not too expensive.

Most of the time these items will be used when you are helping someone else, but I know I have had times where without the other good people on the trail, it would have taken a lot longer to get back on the trail. Share your knowledge and supplies, it will come back to you when you need it and others share with you. And it will seem much more valuable to you when you need help than the cost it is to you when you assist others.

Local trail maps, topo maps, compass, GPS are also a good idea especially if you are in an unfamiliar area. Sometimes going forward is a lot closer than turning back.

Mug

PHORmerly
^^ Good Reading.

I didn't see this on the list: A scrap of carpet - Makes a cheap, collapsible "creeper" to work under your rig with. A good barrier from hot tarmac or fresh powder. I've heard of it being used as a traction mat too for tires that are slipping.

Another thing I take with me that I found at HF was a fireman's hatchet. It's an ax one one side and a pick on the other. It is about the same length as my little razor shovel, so they store together nicely. I've used it to break up hard packed dirt and even ice.

The item that has been most used by me so far, is defiantly zip-ties.

Goose

aToYoTa-fREak
Usually is a given... but I've been behind large groups of people that will just keep going without offering help. As soon as I'm close enough, I always offer to help. :)

X2, Ive always thought that was a given as well.
While out on the RUBICON, (last june) I was under my truck splicing wiring issues & at least 35 rigs drove right by. the only guy that stopped was from out of state.

Bad buggy mentioned ratchet straps, Ive used them over & over for trail fixes.

A a couple of things that I carry that I didnt see yet,
A tubing cutter & flaring kit, A spare T-case input & coupler, AN Hydro fitting,
alt & steering belt, spare link joint, a couple different taps,
& at least 2 pain-killers (in case my wife tries to suspend the truck upsidedown in the air with one hand again)

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
My last breakdown taught me a lesson: If you use your spare fuel pump from the jeep first aid kit on another project make sure you replace it. Losing your fuel pump late Saturday night on the Hole in the Rock trail is not a good thing !

EB101

Plugs for the hydro assist ports in your steering box...
More, lots more, 1310 joints w/straps.
Epoxy putty stick < my new favorite.
Also welding rod and a lens.

2INSANE

Liquer!! Brandy or JD:) if your all alone and get broke down... At least you can have a fun time while walking for help! Lol! Also helps keep u warm during winter.

machrism

Electrical Gadgets

CB Radio "No phone service where I go"
Wind meter with temp, weather forecast and etc...
One gun at least
Spare tire
Small tool kit just big enough for simple repairs
Air Compressor
Shovel
HD tow chain
At least one flashlight
Fuel
Socks
Something non alcoholic
My bike so I ride instead of walk through the desert in the middle of the night after I buried my truck past the axles and snapped the front.

...and still learning new stuff to take. :)

rollover

I always carry a tarp (shade/shelder, drop tarp...) and rope. Emerg flashlight (shaker or crank) no batts required. Two ways to make a fire (lighter/striker matches). Sterno, two cans of fuel (small amount will start a fire quick). 20 + AA batts most common for (GPS, Radios, Flashlights...). Just to name a few.

Justin Lake

Maybe I missed it, but a spare surpentine/ v-belt would be good also. I agree 100% on the positive attitude, with a little bit of creativity and a good attitude you can fix anything. I've noticed that the more tools you carry the less likely you are to break down.... and vise versa.... The way it works I guess. Oh ya, and don't drink and wheel! You can't fix stupidity.

i keep most everything mentioned so far in my truck everywhere i go. not just wheelin. but a few things to add that i didnt see.
1. Rescue tape!!! this stuff is so cool! got it at the sportsmans expo last year and have used it to save the day 3 times already! it works wonders! here is a link for it http://www.rescuetape.com/
2. Camelbak day pack. full of water, med supplys, compass, everything a day pack should have! never know when you will want, or have to hoof it.
3. A Headlamp! headlamps are so much easy to use when your working on your rig at night. keep both hand free to work!
4. bug spray
5. slim jim (not the beef stick)
6. some sand paper

im sure i'll find more when i look in my truck

4x4life

rescue tape is cool stuff. Ran hanging tree last week and a Land Crusier put a hole in his rear DIff cover. Someone in our group had a tube of 100% silicon. Cleaned and dried the hole then siliconed it and it has been holding ever since. I'll be putting some in my rig asap.