Topic of Discussion TOD: Roll cage design and building

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Also - how is the return on that cylinder? I saw a setup that had some springs to help with that.

There is no return. You open the valve just like any other bottle jack, and push it back in. It's not hard, but I would like to make a knob for it so I don't have to use the jack handle.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
RM, Show us a pick of how you mounted it to the bender.

BY the cylinder? I just cut a piece of tube to rotate freely around the bolt at the end (the same bolt that the handle rotates around), and welded the square tube to that.

attachment.php

Or were you talking about where the end of the ram attaches to the moving bender arm?

attachment.php

Not the cleanest fabrication I've ever done, just threw it together quick and dirty to get it working.

Attachments

• IMG_4907 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_4907 (Medium).JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 453
  • IMG_4909 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_4909 (Medium).JPG
    41 KB · Views: 453

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
I did not modify or weld to any original piece of the bender. This is 100% bolt-on. I could return this back to manual operation in about 5 minutes if I needed to.

Corban_White

Nice job RockMonkey!

I don't remember where I got these but I was going to try it.

Bob, that looks like a great set of pictoral instructions except for in the middle pic where it says to cit the 2 spacers shorter so they rotate freely. Don't do it! they are machined spacers that need to be kept the same length so the arms stay parallel. Other than that looks like a great plan. I wish I had done as it says in the first pic so my bender arms would close all the way. It still works but I have to use a different hole for the backing block and I don't get as much usable stroke out of the ram.

ordered one from copperhead and it is sagy and none of the holes were the right size.had to build supports for it. guess its a good place to start. also using the hf ram and it doesnt pump very well?

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
ordered one from copperhead and it is sagy and none of the holes were the right size.had to build supports for it. guess its a good place to start. also using the hf ram and it doesnt pump very well?

Tell us about your compressor.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic

What PSI are you putting through it? It requires 110-120.

ricsrx

The question I have is where are you all getting the pnumatic part that attaches to the HF ram?

thanks, that is the one i was looking at.
i have a little 20gal husky.
it hardly moves the ram. do i need to add hydro fluid?
on the ram it says to use in vertical position only.

KrazyKarl

Dents are cool right?
when I did mine, my ram had the same problem. I took the little rubber plug out of i it and it girgled out a bunch of air, and now it works fine. Mine has no problem working on its side.

brokejeep

Is it possible to stretch a cage??? I got my hands on a poison spyder cj7 cage and I have a scrambler. Is it possible to add length to the tubing or is it better to get a different piece made. I was thinking I could get a smaller diameter DOM and put it inside the tubing then cover that with the original tubing. I have seen this done on motorcycle frame to stretch the frame.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Is it possible to stretch a cage??? I got my hands on a poison spyder cj7 cage and I have a scrambler. Is it possible to add length to the tubing or is it better to get a different piece made. I was thinking I could get a smaller diameter DOM and put it inside the tubing then cover that with the original tubing. I have seen this done on motorcycle frame to stretch the frame.

Sure. You can do it. Many cages and buggys have joints like this in them. The halo on my XJ has one of these. Most people drill a couple holes and put in some plug welds.

sixstringsteve

I went over to metalmart in Lehi, and they have something that's a seamless tube like DOM, but it isn't officially stamped DOM. It's $2 a foot instead of $7-9 a foot (just a guestimate) They say they recommend it for roll cages all the time. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? They just call it tubing. I assume it's going to be better than HREW.

I realize that DOM refers to a process, not a brand, which makes me wonder how they get this tubing if it's not drawn over mandrel. Any light on the subject would be fantastic.