Topic of Discussion TOD: Roll cage design and building

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
It's HREW, I've bought quite a bit of HREW from Metalmart in my time. It will work, not quite as strong or as uniform as DOM, but it will do the job.

sixstringsteve

Is there any type of tubing that is not seam-welded , but not stamped "DOM" either? Because metalmart seems to think there is.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Without answering your question in any way:

DOM is a welded-seam tubing also, but it's then drawn over a mandrel which basically erases all indication of the weld.

Corban_White

Is there any type of tubing that is not seam-welded , but not stamped "DOM" either? Because metalmart seems to think there is.

Yes there is. It is known as seamless tubing. ;)

which cold works/hardens it a little bit. I think.

Correct. This is why HREW tubing that has been DOM is generally regarded as "stronger" than HREW tubing that has not been DOM. Ultimate strength is the same for both however the yield strength of the tubing that has been cold worked is higher. In other words they will both hold the same load before breaking but the cold worked piece will bend at a higher load than the non cold worked.

1adam12

THE BEAST
seats??

what are everyones thoughts on seat mounting? to the cage or is the floor ok? Does it matter if the cage is floor mounted or frame mounted?

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
what are everyones thoughts on seat mounting? to the cage or is the floor ok? Does it matter if the cage is floor mounted or frame mounted?

I've always been told that you want the seats mounted to the same thing as your cage. If the floor is seperate from the cage and the body seperates, you are now flopping around inside the cage or outside just going with the floor.

1adam12

THE BEAST
Ok guys I have an idea tell me what you think. I'm on a budget and I'm terrible at bending tube. I'm thinking of building a cage out of factory 4runner roll bars. If I add enough bracing do you think they will be strong enough ? My roof is already gone. I have a cage but it's to close to my head and I want to re do it. I will mount it to the floor above the body mounts. I will extend the lenth of the factory hoops using inner sleeves. Bad idea?

ID Bronco

Ok guys I have an idea tell me what you think. I'm on a budget and I'm terrible at bending tube. I'm thinking of building a cage out of factory 4runner roll bars. If I add enough bracing do you think they will be strong enough ? My roof is already gone. I have a cage but it's to close to my head and I want to re do it. I will mount it to the floor above the body mounts. I will extend the lenth of the factory hoops using inner sleeves. Bad idea?

This sounds like a recipe for disaster!

On a cage, go right the first time

1adam12

THE BEAST
One vote for kind of. One vote for no. Does anyone know the wall thickness of the material? Has anyone seen one after a roll?I know a lot of people have tied into them.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
Does anyone know the wall thickness of the material?

Not much. I haven't measured one but I've drilled into a couple and it doesn't take a lot of effort. They are not hardened tube and they aren't very thick. I'm a terribly cheap guy and I would not incorporate one into a cage meant to keep me and my family safe, and I definitely wouldn't build an entire cage out of one.

Nevermind how weak they are, that tube is huge! Space it out far enough to give yourself any kind of headroom and you'll need a wide load sign when you trailer it.