Topic of Discussion TOD: Vehicle recovery

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
For our first TOD (Topic of Discussion) we're going to go over: Vehicle Recovery.

I'd like to specifically address: When is it appropriate to use straps vs. chains in snow/mud. Also, what are the best tools you have used or seen for vehicle recovery?

Discuss... :)

Last edited:

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I personally like a chain better than a strap for recovery. Chains will drop more or less if the attachment point breaks loose. They are a lot heavier to handle though. I would still use a strap if offered, unless it has integrated hooks sewed on. Never use a shackle to hook two straps together. If one strap comes loose, the shackle will become a projectile.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
James K said:
why is that a benefit?

So it's harder to get undone.....

I'm a chain guy for anything near the rig (I've yet to see one break). Straps are pretty cool for towing and mud extraction without a winch, but if you're slow-dragging anything, righting a vehicle or whatever, I'd prefer a chain if I'm running the winch.

James K

NO, I'm always like this
Hickey said:
Because you won't have a weighted projectile if one strap breaks or one end comes off of an attachment point.

understood, but what about when using a tree strap? I always use a clevis/shackle to attach both ends and also to have a attachment point to hook my winch hook to.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
James K said:
understood, but what about when using a tree strap? I always use a clevis/shackle to attach both ends and also to have a attachment point to hook my winch hook to.
A tree strap won't store the same energy as two pull straps hooked together. A tree strap is short, and your winch cable would (should) have a weighted line so that it drops if something breaks. In that case, I would definitely use a shackle.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
How 'bout some insight as to winch ropes and cables and when they should be replaced? I have been using rope for long enough that cable now scares me. I don't even like to be around when someone pulls out an old-fashioned cable.

Did everyone know that you can splice together a broken winch rope (the new fangled synthetic kind)? If anyone is interested I'll post the instructions on how to properly do it. My rope now has two splices, and neither one has every given me a problem.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Well, I for one have had to have a mojor recovery. Put the Cruiser on it's side in a 5 foot wash out on a 20% ish grade in the middle of a snow storm.

Things that saved my ars:
Good Friends that were willing to work from 8:00pm-4:00am... :eek:
Tire Chains to get rescue rigs up there.
Plenty of straps, (no chains allowed)
Optima red top (A MUST)
A portable welder
Miss bolts to fab supports to broken parts.
did I mention good friends?

I was had to winch the front of my cruiser over and out of the wash out with out having to start the rig..... well I couldn't due to hydro lock...
:eek:
Have several strong winchs played a huge roll.

Vehicle Recovery is much easier when you are not alone.

Thanks to all that helped, you know who you are. :)

James K

NO, I'm always like this
RockMonkey said:
Did everyone know that you can splice together a broken winch rope (the new fangled synthetic kind)? If anyone is interested I'll post the instructions on how to properly do it. My rope now has two splices, and neither one has every given me a problem.

I would like to know. I have been pondering switching to rope.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Switch to rope, James. You wont regret it. ;)

I can't find the instructions in HTML format so I can copy and past, but you can download this PDF which includes very detailed instructions and diagrams. These instructions are for an end to end splice (like you would use to repair a broken winch rope ;) ) in a twelve strand rope such as the Amsteel Blue that most of us use.

(right click, save as)
http://www.samsonrope.com/home/pdf/Class-1-12-str-end-for-end.pdf

There are instructions for eye splices and and different types of rope available on this page.
http://www.samsonrope.com/home/recmarine/splicing/index.cfm

Did you guys know that Amsteel Blue floats?

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
I've seen it break several times. It's hard to say weather any of those ropes were undamaged. I doubt if any of them were completely undamaged, but it's hard to find a wire rope that had been used that is not damaged in at least one spot. If you use it, it's almost impossible to keep it from getting a kink or two in it, and once it's kinked it's ruined. That's one of the things I really like about synthetic rope. You can fold it over itself all you want, it will never kink. I have never had a wire rope last half as long as my synthetic rope has. I've used it literally dozens of times, any one of which would have likely kinked and ruined a wire rope.

JoeT

Well on the tow truck we use a cable, with a doubler sometimes. Once my boss got called to remove a Chevy K-5 Blazer that had rolled on Bangarter Hwy. Problem was it landed upside down on top of a K-barrier. The barrier was right between the windshield and the rollcage. The top had crushed down to the seats. So he extended the bed all the way and placed it under the back bumper area. Then ran the winch line over the undercarriage to the front. The winch was pulled in till the windshield frame clear the K-barrier. The bed was tilted up to lift the K5 off the ground, then the tow truck was moved to lay the K5 back on the road. Then it was easy to roll it and put it on the bed.

tiny2085

HomeGrown
I use the straps that construction companys use for lifting containers. There are two loops sewn into each end and are 4" wide. I also think that a chain-fall is a nice little tool to keep with you. There nice to use when rolling a rig back on it's top and a lot less effort than trying to rock it back over to it's top. What about a com-a-long? i've seen some big ol' ones in the cal-ranch stores.

mbryson

Supporting Member
muleskinner said:
Out of curiosity, how many people have seen wire rope (undamaged) break?

I've only seen it break without SEEING damage AFTER dragging a '72ish Fleetwood out of the ditch across from Cottonwood High school. I had to drag it up on my flatbed (way back when I used to drive a car carrier/wrecker) and haul it across the street without being able to secure the bed to the truck or the car to the bed.....(very risky to truck, vehicle and any persons involved---had to be done under the conditions). That's at least a 5000 lb car, kind of half dangling (2/3-3/4 of the weight was on the bed) off a bobbing, 22 ft. flatbed for 2 minutes or so........I'm sure dragging that heavy pig out of the mud/snow didn't stretch anything either. :rolleyes:

The next day the cable broke.......(No real visible damage, but I KNEW I'd stressed it pretty good).

I've broke at least 3 other cables driving wrecker, but I kind of knew they were going to break and prepared for it (kinks or frays). Cable does SNAP back just like everybody says it does. STAY CLEAR when under load (after my first one, I'd duck down under the bed to winch things up......).

I think Shawn hit the most important point. Have company......someone intelligent and rational is always nice to formulate a plan with. Make a plan with their help and see how things work out. If it doesn't work out how you thought, make another one and move on.

mbryson

Supporting Member
JeepinJoe said:
Well on the tow truck we use a cable, with a doubler sometimes. Once my boss got called to remove a Chevy K-5 Blazer that had rolled on Bangarter Hwy. Problem was it landed upside down on top of a K-barrier. The barrier was right between the windshield and the rollcage. The top had crushed down to the seats. So he extended the bed all the way and placed it under the back bumper area. Then ran the winch line over the undercarriage to the front. The winch was pulled in till the windshield frame clear the K-barrier. The bed was tilted up to lift the K5 off the ground, then the tow truck was moved to lay the K5 back on the road. Then it was easy to roll it and put it on the bed.

You guys replace your cable about every three months or less, I bet (or at least remove the damaged section if its on the drum?).