Topic of Discussion TOD: Vehicle recovery

joez

I know plenty of people who do it. Most just use WD-40, but some use actuall machine oil. Not tons of it, but enough to keep salt from rusting it to fast.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
joez said:
I know plenty of people who do it. Most just use WD-40, but some use actuall machine oil. Not tons of it, but enough to keep salt from rusting it to fast.
And the only benefit to that is to prevent rust, right? Wow, I've never had a cable last nearly long enough to even start to worry about rust. :rofl:

fjcruisin

For our first TOD (Topic of Discussion) we're going to go over: Vehicle Recovery.

I'd like to specifically address: When is it appropriate to use straps vs. chains in snow/mud. Also, what are the best tools you have used or seen for vehicle recovery?

Discuss...

There are pros and cons to the wire (cable) and the rope(synthetic). Damage can be taken by both without leaving you stranded. But I think that you must consider the tools you have and the way they can be used and treated or mis-treated. This is an apples and oranges argument..........."The Topic Of Discussion" covers alot more than what is on the spool of your winch!!!
I might be looking at this from a totally redneck standpoint....but, leave the winch at home, now how do you get your rig out??? :ugh:

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
fjcruisin said:
For our first TOD (Topic of Discussion) we're going to go over: Vehicle Recovery.

I'd like to specifically address: When is it appropriate to use straps vs. chains in snow/mud. Also, what are the best tools you have used or seen for vehicle recovery?

Discuss...

There are pros and cons to the wire (cable) and the rope(synthetic). Damage can be taken by both without leaving you stranded. But I think that you must consider the tools you have and the way they can be used and treated or mis-treated. This is an apples and oranges argument..........."The Topic Of Discussion" covers alot more than what is on the spool of your winch!!!
I might be looking at this from a totally redneck standpoint....but, leave the winch at home, now how do you get your rig out??? :ugh:
So what you're saying is... Pretend you have a Ramsey winch. Now how are you going to get your rig out?

Here's how I'd do it. Hook strap from vehicle A to vehicle B. Pull.

Okay, so trying to stay on topic, but opening a new discussion point. You've rolled your pile onto it's lid. There is a sizable group of sizable people. Do you (A) get said group to lift your sorry ass back on your wheels, or (B) hook a winch to the thing (seriously, does anyone wheel without a winch?) and pull the thing back upright? Why?

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
fjcruisin said:
Come-a-long, Hi- lift, rock stacking, tree branch stuffing. It realy depends on the situation. The best tool is in your noggin. Think about how you lack traction, and then figure out a way to provide for it.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Hickey said:
I did all the time. I really don't think a winch is a "must have" tool. There are substitutes.
Not if you want to run the really fun trails with winch-only obstacles at the end. The only substitute for a winch there is a buddy with a winch.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
RockMonkey said:
Not if you want to run the really fun trails with winch-only obstacles at the end. The only substitute for a winch there is a buddy with a winch.
How about a buddy who can drive the obstacle and has a strap? Or a few spotters pulling on the strap? I bet no one has ever done that. :greg:

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Hickey said:
How about a buddy who can drive the obstacle and has a strap? Or a few spotters pulling on the strap? I bet no one has ever done that. :greg:
Not gonna reply and take this thread further off topic. :)

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
fjcruisin said:
did you forget what the topic was?
No. I know the topic is not whether it is irresponsible for a group to do Upper Proving Grounds without a winch just assuming that one of them can climb the waterfall at the end and pull the rest up with a strap. That clearly has nothing to do with vehicle recovery, so I didn't reply with that. -_-

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
RockMonkey said:
No. I know the topic is not whether it is irresponsible for a group to do Upper Proving Grounds without a winch just assuming that one of them can climb the waterfall at the end and pull the rest up with a strap. That clearly has nothing to do with vehicle recovery, so I didn't reply with that. -_-
That would be assuming people without a winch would want to do Upper. There are other trails to do in Moab. You don't NEED a winch. A second vehicle is more important.

fjcruisin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockMonkey
Not gonna reply and take this thread further off topic.

What he said.

You are talking about yourself and then to yourself :D
I'm done here. I just wanted everyone to re focus on what the question was really about.........vehicle recovery.......not winch crap (I have this vs you have this).I guess I'm the bad guy now :-\ . Whatever.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Hickey said:
Come-a-long, Hi- lift, rock stacking, tree branch stuffing. It realy depends on the situation. The best tool is in your noggin. Think about how you lack traction, and then figure out a way to provide for it.
This post sums it up. Recovery is Not about what type of winch cable you are using, it's about thinking out of the box. Not every situation is going to be resolved by having a winch.
A come-along is nice, but it too has it's draw backs, heavy, bulky, and quite frankly can be kinda scary. There is no protection when using it, you are at the end of the cable and if it was to snap....
The High Lift is a must, this devise should be in everyone rig.
A snatch block, tree saver, and clevis hook should also be included.

The best thing I like about the above post is " Use Your Noggin"!!! Kick back and evaluate the situation, what is it going to take? What will happen if we do that?

I have a question that could help all of us,

What item did you use that made your recovery work? This question relates to thinking out of the box.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
tiny2085 said:
Is there a strength difference between running your line from the top side of the spool, or from the bottom side of the spool ?

Yes, the smaller the spool diameter from the point of exit, the higher pulling power.... BUT, you must leave enought rope on the spool to prevent catastophic failure (small retaining screw breaks and lets your rope go free)

PS... I love cable... I won't be replacing it anytime soon, I use mine alot...

tiny2085

HomeGrown
Does anyone use a block and tackle type setup when they wheel? I know they're heavy, but really don't take up much room and are tits to lift/pull stuff directly up.