Shop / Tools Today I want this...tool edition

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Easily the best part about that guys videos are his laugh. It's like, I'm loving this so much that I'd be doing it even if the camera wasn't rolling. Thanks for reminding me about the channel.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
I can't even imagine the concrete structure beneath something like that :D Pretty sweet!

It shouldn't need any more than what it needs to support the vehicle. The platform on each of the jacks actually have a larger footprint than the tires so I would think as long as the concrete will support the vehicle it should support the lifting system.

When I built my new shop I had the concrete contractor add extra rebar as well as 6 inches of 4k PSI concrete with the intentions (or maybe dreams) of one day having a 45' Prevost conversion coach which weighs in excess of 54k pounds.

We use these ARI Hetra lifting systems at work for our forklifts and didn't do any additional concrete work nor were advised to by ARI Hetra when we purchased them about 12 years ago. So far no issues with concrete but a forklift doesn't weigh anything compared to these large RV's.

Mike

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I spied this killer homebuilt brake in the shop at @Badbuggy place and had to get a pic for this thread!

He built it with mostly scraps laying around and the 'teeth' from a smaller brake that couldn't bend the thicker material he was working with.

View attachment 132733
Oh I like that. I love how the upright supports are also the slides. That would be a simple project if you just buy the fingers/dies.

Ashcat

Putting a man on the moon isn’t nearly as cool as what a computer can do for shop guys

CDA7D422-69F1-4A41-8AFB-2A8FB29A620C.png

I thought the price was a little lower but still neat as hell. I’d buy vs burning up material allotted for other shop projects and the time to make it all work.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Putting a man on the moon isn’t nearly as cool as what a computer can do for shop guys

View attachment 134736

I thought the price was a little lower but still neat as hell. I’d buy vs burning up material allotted for other shop projects and the time to make it all work.
I built one similar to this about 20 years ago. I use it all the time and it makes great bends. $395 and it doesn't come with the jack? That's just not worth it IMHO. You could buy the SWAG brake kit and a HF press for that much money.

Ashcat

I compared before I posted and swag doesn’t come close when you compare capacity. Then you need legit table plates and a press. Either way, you’re paying retail......

I have 80% of the material needed to build something between this and what I posted on the first page. Then I get bored and move on to other tasks.