Today I Want This....

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I've put 37k on my V10 at about $3 per gallon (avg over the past three years?). That puts me at $11k assuming 10 mpg? Probably 7-8k (possibly a little optimistic?) miles towing during that time? Assuming I'd get 15 mpg in a diesel, I think I'm still $ ahead?
Is the 7-8 towing or is that an average of towing and DD?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Is the 7-8 towing or is that an average of towing and DD?

That’s probably 7-8k miles towing (probably less?). I’ve gotten as low as 6.5 mpg across NV and usually right at 7 mpg (slightly better from SLC to Moab than Moab-SLC) on Moab trips. St George is a little better on mpg than Moab(?).

Daily driving is about 11, freeway gets about 12-13 depending on speed if I’m running unloaded at 70-75

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
I'm saving up for one of these. Sure would make engine drops much easier with this lift table with fixturing attachments.

But then on the other hand it's kind of stupid because I'd have to do more work to pay for the lift table. :thinking:

NYCEGUY01

I'm saving up for one of these. Sure would make engine drops much easier with this lift table with fixturing attachments.

But then on the other hand it's kind of stupid because I'd have to do more work to pay for the lift table. :thinking:

You gotta stop working on all that new stuff and stick to old Chevys where the motors just come out the top..lol

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.

Carl’s been mentoring me for the last couple years on how to say no to certain side jobs. I’m still not very good at it, but him working with me has helped. I’d think any job needing this table is a side job worth saying no to. Maybe you should talk to Carl too. 😁

My neighbor has a red one, thing looks like a hot wheels car!
His dad was the original owner/racer of a blue #11 car, I think it was the only production model with a big block if I remember correctly… badass cars, especially for the time. I think I’d take one over a cobra

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
@zmotorsports I'm pretty sure from the skill sets we've seen you share that table is well within your capabilities and would be even better built rather than bought for $6k.

Agree. Plus, I'd like to see that. :)

Maybe some construction ideas in here:

Thanks guys. I appreciate the confidence in my skillset.

Carl’s been mentoring me for the last couple years on how to say no to certain side jobs. I’m still not very good at it, but him working with me has helped. I’d think any job needing this table is a side job worth saying no to. Maybe you should talk to Carl too. 😁

Yeah, I know many people that have turned work away work that is outside of their wheelhouse and become more of a "specialized" shop. While I do not condemn that theory and it makes perfect sense from merely a dollar point of view I feel it hampers one's ability to gain knowledge and become well rounded. I took on that approach very early on in my career but quickly deduced that it was limiting my ability to gain knowledge on a lot of things. Looking back I don't think I would have the skillset I have now if I had not taken on some of the various jobs that I have over the years.

That being said, there are some jobs that I have done that I can say "been there done that" and I will NEVER do again. One of those being a heater core in a Ford Taurus. Anyone who has done one of those will know EXACTLY what I am talking about. I heard how bad they were to do and when approached years ago to do one I agreed so I could see for myself. I came out ok on it financially and didn't lose my ass because I was somewhat prepared, but I will NEVER do one of those again. Holy crap, that was one of the worst jobs I have every done. :mad2:

Mike

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Thanks guys. I appreciate the confidence in my skillset.

Yeah, I know many people that have turned work away work that is outside of their wheelhouse and become more of a "specialized" shop. While I do not condemn that theory and it makes perfect sense from merely a dollar point of view I feel it hampers one's ability to gain knowledge and become well rounded. I took on that approach very early on in my career but quickly deduced that it was limiting my ability to gain knowledge on a lot of things. Looking back I don't think I would have the skillset I have now if I had not taken on some of the various jobs that I have over the years.

That being said, there are some jobs that I have done that I can say "been there done that" and I will NEVER do again. One of those being a heater core in a Ford Taurus. Anyone who has done one of those will know EXACTLY what I am talking about. I heard how bad they were to do and when approached years ago to do one I agreed so I could see for myself. I came out ok on it financially and didn't lose my ass because I was somewhat prepared, but I will NEVER do one of those again. Holy crap, that was one of the worst jobs I have every done. :mad2:

Mike
That's one of the worst things our company has done to our technicians. They've limited their work to such a streamlined program that they are essentially just Lube and Oil techs now. When I first hired on it was a great place to get started as a young diesel technician. They would do clutches, overheads, injectors, and a ton of other heavy truck repair that I consider standard fare for a truck shop. They had a great training program to get them certified in tons of related repairs and processes.

I now see it as a dead end job for a tech, because you're not gaining the knowledge and experience that you should be getting at any other truck shop.

Pike2350

Way too expensive (and I feel overpriced) but man, this is so freaking awesome.

2414850-1639727258-145597.jpg

2414850-1639727298-292662.jpg