Tonkaman’s Tonka truck

The time has finally come! My new truck finally found its way home!

AB5CA817-00F0-449E-8FE8-90C1175D093B.jpeg
C79F5F01-E10F-4C32-87F3-0516D43AFFCD.jpeg
47166913-C2FE-44BB-9743-AE9A60723345.jpeg

It is a 2022 Ram Powerwagon. FULLY LOADED with every possible option minus a sunroof and ram boxes. That level 3 interior is almost too luxurious!

Most of you are familiar with my love for Tacomas, so this new truck may seem a bit off beat for me. The truth is the Tacoma was an AMAZING off road rig, but we were bursting at the seams. Lately we had given up on camping whenever the whole family would be going, since it was too difficult to haul a full crews gear. I got sick of always feeling like our adventures were being limited by cargo space.

I was having a hard time nailing down exactly what type of vehicle suited our needs. In hind sight it’s because our needs vary too much and I would need 10 rigs to always end up in the ‘right’ one for the day. So finally I made a list of all the things I needed my rig to accomplish. After writing the list, I crossed off all but the top 4 so I could focus on what really mattered.

1- Offroad capability. I hate adventuring in the backcountry only to get turned around when the trail gets rough. I needed a vehicle that could give me the peace of mind to keep pushing deeper into the gnarly trail condition.

2- More cargo Capacity. Our preferred method of travel is in the deep backcountry, alone. Those risks come with the responsibility to be prepared, and being prepared means packing a fair amount of ‘just in case’ gear for repairs, extractions, and emergencies. Even though we learned to pack like backpackers, this family of 3 + 1 dog still struggled to pack everything needed.

3- Payload/Towing. At this point I know the obvious answer is just stick a 4 wheel camper or Offroad trailer behind the Tacoma! To be honest that thought scares the hell out of me. The Tacoma is way over its GVWR and it always feels like it is one emergency maneuver away from catastrophe.

4- Aftermarket support. I love to tinker and modify things. I don't have the fabrication skills that many in this community do, so I depend heavily on being able to buy rather than build. There are many vehicles out there that have been transformed into complete beasts, but they take years of someone’s time and talent to get that way. That’s why having proven aftermarket support was high on my priority list.

ENTER THE POWERWAGON!

1- The capability is off the charts with its linked suspension, F&R lockers, sway bar disconnect, lift, and winch.

2- Obviously the bigger size is going to make it suffer Offroad, but size was one of my biggest issues needing to be addressed. There are only a few trucks thats size lands between the Tacoma and Ram, such as Tundra, Titan, and 1/2 tons. In the end I decided those trucks just couldn’t compete with the Rams ability after proper modifications.

3- So now I have a full size pickup and lots more space in the cab. Don’t think I fell off the deep end though, because it’s still a 6.5’ bed and only a 1200lb payload capacity. As far as full size goes it’s pretty wimpy, but still worlds better than the Taco. I went with a short bed to maintain the best turning radius and break over possible. It was a hard choice, giving up valuable dirtbike space, but capability was higher in my list. The low payload ratings are strictly due to the soft powerwagon coils. I can always change coils or add airbags to get the typical 4,000lb payload capacity. That’s an easy swap and I’ll still have the full sized frame/brakes/suspension/steering components.

4- The possibilities are endless with this platform, that’s what really pushed me over the edge. With slight modifications I can clear 40” tires on 3” of lift. I can swap out bumpers for higher clearance and stronger alternatives while keeping every single camera and sensor in place. With the AEV Prospector package I can garuntee that everything works together seamlessly. It’s so seamless that Ram trusts AEV enough to build their trucks and leave the full factory warranty on it.

Tonkaman

I really wanted to get some more dirt on this truck so I went out for a solo ride today. I opted to take a stroll up AF canyon to check out Major Evans and Merry Ellen’s Gulch

The truck is WAY BIGGER than I’m used to dealing with. That comes as no surprise to anybody, but seriously it’s huge! It was shocking how many trees I ended up taking out!

Halfway up MEG the trucks dash lit up like a Christmas tree. It was flashing every warning sign imaginable including: “4WD unavailable”, “traction control unavailable” “swaybar disconnect unavailable”, “ABS needs service”, “stability control needs serviced”.

After several attempts I still cannot get the truck to shift out of 4lo. I thought maybe I snagged a connector or something underneath, but can’t see anything wrong.

While troubleshooting I jumped out of my truck and landed in a hole. I rolled the ankle pretty bad and could hardly stand so I ended up driving my truck all the way back to West Jordan on backroads stuck in 4Lo.

Once I can stand again I’ll disconnect the batteries and see if it clears up. If that doesn’t work, I guess it goes back to the dealer again.

Tonkaman

I was able to get up and walk a bit so I decided to go fiddle with the truck.

I remembered that the AEV procal has the ability to reset engine codes so I plugged it in, and viola it worked! I was immediately able to shift out of 4lo and back into 2WD, YAHOO! 😃…But then all the warning lights came back on along with SOME NEW ONES!! Now the speedometer doesn’t even work! WTF!! 😠 The procal no longer does any good so I’m back to square one.

I called the dealer to get it looked at. They won’t have an opening for 2 weeks! I explained that this is warranty work, not just maintenance or basic service. They said that’s the best they could do. I asked if they offer a loaner car while my truck is unusable do you warranty issues and they refused until during the actual repair timeframe. I’m beyond pissed. 🤬 I spend $100k with them and I can’t even make it to 7k miles without problems.

Is that normal service for dealerships? I have no clue how warranty stuff works since I usually buy Toyotas 😆

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I’m sorry you are going through that. I have been blown away over the last few years at how low the quality is from different shops/contractors/professionals in general. No one cares to do a good job or provide good service.

I’ve got a list of reasons why I think it is this way.. but I’ll keep my politics out of your thread.

shortstraw8

I know anytime recently I have scheduled a service it has been 2-3wks out. My rv was a month for a propane line that could explode. They have had it almost 2months now with no updates, we finally called and they said they are sorry it has been sitting on the lot with nothing done on it yet. Pretty mad about that when we missed a few good trips cause of it.
Seems to me lately that good service is hard to come by, hopefully they get it taken care of for you though.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member

I remembered that the AEV procal has the ability to reset engine codes so I plugged it in, and viola it worked! I was immediately able to shift out of 4lo and back into 2WD, YAHOO! 😃…But then all the warning lights came back on along with SOME NEW ONES!! Now the speedometer doesn’t even work! WTF!! 😠 The procal no longer does any good so I’m back to square one.

I called the dealer to get it looked at. They won’t have an opening for 2 weeks! I explained that this is warranty work, not just maintenance or basic service. They said that’s the best they could do. I asked if they offer a loaner car while my truck is unusable do you warranty issues and they refused until during the actual repair timeframe. I’m beyond pissed. 🤬 I spend $100k with them and I can’t even make it to 7k miles without problems.

Is that normal service for dealerships? I have no clue how warranty stuff works since I usually buy Toyotas 😆
You need a Bluetooth OBD dongle and an app called "OBD Jscan" and then throw your ancient AEV procal in your underwear drawer, never to be seen or used again. Jscan covers nearly every Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/Ram vehicle. Pay the one time fee for your VIN to be licensed on the app ($18?) and now your phone is an amazing diagnostic/customizing tool.

Tonkaman

You need a Bluetooth OBD dongle and an app called "OBD Jscan" and then throw your ancient AEV procal in your underwear drawer, never to be seen or used again. Jscan covers nearly every Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/Ram vehicle. Pay the one time fee for your VIN to be licensed on the app ($18?) and now your phone is an amazing diagnostic/customizing tool.
Good advise. I just ordered a dongle that should arrive tomorrow 🤞

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.

A while back I had to have the Excursion into the Larry Miller Ford down town for a intermittent no start condition I couldn't diagnose. They didn't even look at it for weeks, then they screwed around with it for a few more, finally tracked the trouble down to a bad chip transponder or whatever, then couldn't find one, then the one they found didn't work, blah blah blah. They ended up having the thing for over three months, never ONCE picked up the phone to let me know what was going, ruined my good battery and wanted to charge me for their OEM junk they replaced it with, blew a bunch of smoke up my ass about the rest of the charges. Seems pretty normal for a dealership.

Makes me wanna not own anything newer than about 1980 or so.

Tonkaman

A while back I had to have the Excursion into the Larry Miller Ford down town for a intermittent no start condition I couldn't diagnose. They didn't even look at it for weeks, then they screwed around with it for a few more, finally tracked the trouble down to a bad chip transponder or whatever, then couldn't find one, then the one they found didn't work, blah blah blah. They ended up having the thing for over three months, never ONCE picked up the phone to let me know what was going, ruined my good battery and wanted to charge me for their OEM junk they replaced it with, blew a bunch of smoke up my ass about the rest of the charges. Seems pretty normal for a dealership.

Makes me wanna not own anything newer than about 1980 or so.

Sounds very similar to how my last few months of ownership have gone.

I can’t believe how many times I’ve already considered listing it for sale just so I can buy an old truck and be done with dealerships.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
My dodge dealer said I need to bring my truck in for recalls so I did. Then they told me oh we don’t have any of the parts available to fix it. It’s such a joke.
At least you have one, ordered a truck in January and still don’t have it despite it existing since July 1

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Super frustrating to be jacked around by a dealer. I have only had good luck at LHM Lexus because 1) the service writer is on Expedition Utah and knows me personally outside of the shop, and 2) a friend that is a mechanic worked there. I now have to find another mechanic to request when I take my car in for service that i can trust.

Sorry you are going through this. The dealership experience has certainly dropped off a cliff lately, and isn't looking better anytime soon. But since it is warranty, you aren't free to explore non dealer solutions.

I would reach out to the GM of the dealership, and then potentially look for a more trusted Ram Dealer and see if there are better options than where you bought the truck. Perhaps @TurboMinivan can help down at Doug Smith. I had to take a Jeep down to their shop when no other Jeep Dealer would do the Warranty work on my JKU because of "modifications." They were great to work with. I gladly made the 1 hr drive each way to deal with them.