Tonneau Covers

Looking for a Tonneau for my shortbed dodge ram. I'd like something solid that can be closed and locked, even if not terribly secure. I tow a fifth wheel with it, so it would be nice to fold up, but not remove when towing a trailer. I like the looks of the ones that rollup in the bed, but the bed is so small I don't think I could live with the rollup box in the bed. That leaves the ones that rollup on top and trifold models. Anything else I'm missing?

Let me know your recommendations. Also, if anyone knows of a location in SLC that has displays of a few brands, that would be great!

Thanks!
-Eric

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
I've had the Extang EnCore on my truck for the past 4 years.
Reasonably happy with it with two exceptions.
1: The latches are plastic and will break if slammed in cold weather. To their credit, they did replace them.
2: The pebbled black surface is a plastic laminate (kind of like the rough textured stuff for bathroom walls) and develops hairline cracks as it ages, showing the white substrate.
I emailed them about this but they were no help. My solution was to spray paint it with rustoleum truck bed liner. That was 2 months ago and so far so good.

Toad

My truck had a Retrax on it when i bought it. I really did not care for it. I like to have a toolbox in my truck. I now have a in bed Weatherguard with the Truxedo cover mentioned before. i like the fact that I can roll it up out of the way when I need to get to my toolbox or have access to the bed. I have my toolbox down in the bed so it is not a issue when towing the fifth wheel.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Bump. Does anyone have one of these tonneaus that roll up like the backflip f1?

Do tonneaus let in dust? I just have no experience and am curious about them. They seem to be pretty popular.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep

Do tonneaus let in dust? I just have no experience and am curious about them. They seem to be pretty popular.

My cousin has a backflip, (earlier generation that had to have the tailgate shut first.. the new ones can have the cover down and shut the tailgate) I haven't done extensive travel with it, but have been in a few rain storms and some short dirt roads. I have been happy with how well it kept items clean. Obviously nothing is perfect.. but I believe it does better than my shell on my truck.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I’ve had a bakflip on 2 trucks now, totaling about 8 years. They’re not completely water or dust proof but definitely do a good job at both. My first one was the fiberglass and the tailgate had to be closed first. Current one is aluminum and can close before the tailgate. I prefer the aluminum cause of the weight when folding it up too. It’s a nice cover and I’ll never have a truck without one.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I can echo Nate exactly. I’ve been very happy with them. Having said that, when I need the whole bed and have to fold it up, I have to be very careful the way it folds so that the high inside edge doesn’t rest on my high mounted bed camera. For longer drives I put a towel or blanket between the camera and the cover so it won’t rub on it. Wasn’t an issue with my Ram, but is with the GMC.

My boss has the roll n lock cover. He loves it. Has had the same cover on three trucks now. There is no sign of wear or cracking on the vinyl. He rolls it up and then closes it several times a day. Nice to not have it folded up blocking the rear view. I will think hard about it next time.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I had the Truxedo on Sweaty Betty. Loved it. Gladiator did NOT have a cover and my wife's first comment was that I "need" one. Bought a factory take off unit and am pretty happy. I like the Truxedo a little better as the factory unit isn't quite as water proof

Last edited:

rholbrook

I have a roll up, have had them on the last three of my trucks. I bought roll ups for my son's F150EB and my other son's Tacoma. I like the roll up because I can put my dirt bikes in the back of the truck and the front wheels do not hit the cover and does not block the rear window. It pretty much stays dry. I really haven't been annoyed by the dust either. I do have to have the tailgate open to snap the end of it down.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
My concern with the roll-up is that my truck lives outside. The bakflip has had hundreds of pounds of snow on it and been fine.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I think I'm inclined toward a roll top so I don't potentially block the rear view like with a fold up ones. The roll-n-lock looks real nice but is probably more than I'm willing to spend. The Bakflip Revolver X4s is still pricy but I could probably handle this one.

@rholbrook Do you remember which roll up you have?

rholbrook

I think I'm inclined toward a roll top so I don't potentially block the rear view like with a fold up ones. The roll-n-lock looks real nice but is probably more than I'm willing to spend. The Bakflip Revolver X4s is still pricy but I could probably handle this one.

@rholbrook Do you remember which roll up you have?
I have had Truxedo, Leer and right now I have Gator I bought off Amazon. I have liked it so much that is what I bought for my son with an F150. My son with the Tacoma I can't remember what I got him. I was limited on what I could get because he has the track system in his bed and it had to attach to it. I haven't had any issues with the sun or snow with my truck. My Leer had some issues with the velcro staying attached but that took 5 years to get to that point. My daughter and SIL have that truck now and they just bought some rolled velcro and replaced the part that attached to the truck.

I personally like the the covers that mount flush with the top of the rail so it does not go on top of the rail if that makes sense.

dutchman

KI7KSV
I've had the Truxedo Lo Pro on 3 trucks and always been happy with it. I like that when rolled up, it's pretty much out of the way and I can use the full bed and see out the back window. My boss has a hard tri-fold and it doesn't seem nearly as convenient.

Kevin B.

Big hippy

My experience has been that if there isn't a good seal between the tailgate and the bed, that's where the dust will come in and then pretty much any tonneau will do a very good job of keeping it in and letting it settle over everything.

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
I put a Rugged Ridge (13550.24) Armis Hard Folding cover on the bed of my gladiator. Its been great - it keeps everything dry & clean. When I haul stuff in the bed there are rods, or clips (depending on how much you want open) to keep the panels from moving. If the cover is closed and the tailgate locked, it keeps the bed secure.

Cover.JPG

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
We just put one of the LoPro models from Truxedo on our truck. I have had some other brands over the years and this one is by far the best quality roll up I have ever had.
I put a Rugged Ridge (13550.24) Armis Hard Folding cover on the bed of my gladiator. Its been great - it keeps everything dry & clean. When I haul stuff in the bed there are rods, or clips (depending on how much you want open) to keep the panels from moving. If the cover is closed and the tailgate locked, it keeps the bed secure.

View attachment 152418

The LoPro I just put on my truck was to replace this style of cover. I really liked it until the hinged portion quit working properly. When I would fold it, the hinge would start to come apart. It was like the outer protion of the hinge was warping in a way and cupped part of the hinge would not hold the other part in the channel. It only lasted about a year before I started having problems. I don't recall the brand I bought.