Tony's buggy build

I've been wheeling and building my XJ now for about 10 years, but have lately had the urge to build a buggy. It was something that I wanted to do, but I didn't think it was in the near future... until I found this guy
2012-06-14101731.jpg

A couple of text's and a trip with the trailer and it followed me home. I did a little trading, so its a cheap base to build off of.
2012-06-15104644.jpg

Got it home and started looking, was surprised to see how well it was set up
Chevy TBI 4.3. Was running when the buggy was parted out, so hopefully wont be too bad to get running again.
2012-06-15132217.jpg

Set up for full hydro. Has the orbital valve, remote filter and cooler installed already.
2012-06-15132224.jpg

Ac compressor is converted for OBA. All the solenoids and valves seem to be there, its just a mater of cleaning everything up and making sure its GTG
2012-06-15132237.jpg

Set up as a 4 seater. I'm going to try and run a XJ rear folding seat in the back so I can fold it out of the way when I don't need it. I think I can make it work.
2012-06-15132325.jpg

The chassis was built off of a Yota frame so the wiring is there for a Yota pickup dash, probably pick one up from the JY for now. Later I'll do a custom dash
2012-06-15132311.jpg

It was set up for a 3 link with panhard in the front and a triangulated 4 link in the rear. I got some PVC to mock up some links, and the set up looks pretty promising. I'll probably add some gussets to the link tabs and run them as they are.

Plans:

Chevy 60/14 bolt
14-18 inch air shocks on all corners
Fuel cell
Turbo 350 and twin sticked 205

It will be a slow going project until I get the XJ sold or parted out, but at least its a start!

xjtony

Well I finally got some garage time today. I've been fighting bulging disks in my neck over the last month, so it's just been sitting.

I got my rear truss cut and about half way welded up. I ran out of grinding disks so the side plates still need to be fitted and welded on. I have all the link and shock brackets ready to weld on and tax return will have the rest of the missing suspension pieces. uploadfromtaptalk1391971650087.jpguploadfromtaptalk1391971667146.jpg

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

xjtony

So its been a while since I've posted on here and a lot has happened. I spent most of last year dealing with neck and back issues, resulting in the decision to leave the Air Force, finding a new job, finding a house, etc. Basically what I'm getting at is that I have had no time to work on my project. I figured by this point with my neck issues that It would take me more time than I wanted to spend to get it up and running...

So this guy followed me home. CJ buggy, 60/14 bolt, Dodge 318, auto, Atlas. I'm ready to hit the trail again for the first time in almost 2 years! I'll be posting all of the parts from my project up for sale here shortly if anyone is interested.

xjtony

So first trip out and I figured out that the wiring was toast. I've been plugging away at it for a while and have it done (not pretty, but hopefully functional). uploadfromtaptalk1454287627508.jpg
Being towed off 5 mile after I lost a main ground.
uploadfromtaptalk1454287670751.jpg
First time everything has worked in a while

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

xjtony

So last year I had some issues with misfiring and loss of power under load. Replaced a blown Plenum gasket this weekend, some sensors and ran some injector cleaner through the motor and it appears to be running much better (just driving around the neighborhood). I didn't take any pics of the gasket install. its a real PITA to remove the intake manifold on a jeep 5.2!

xjtony

Had a few issues in Moab this weekend. 2 blown fuel lines, Atlas clocking ring started working loose, causing the T- case to have trouble staying in gear. I also learned the value of real bumpstops. My rig was built with just steel pads. I took a hard hit coming back down off of Cliffhanger, and hit steel to steel, cracking my track bar bracket and doing some damage to the tube. Easy enough to fix, but could have been avoided. I'll post some pics of the damage when I get the radiator out and get a good look.

xjtony

Here is a crappy pic of the damage
20180423_184047.jpg

And here is repaired. I fixed all the cracked welds and added some steel. Also added gusset to the track bar mount. Not my cleanest work but it's not going anywhere
20180426_183926.jpg20180426_183907.jpg

Welds are kinda ugly, but there was not a lot of room to work in without pulling a bunch of stuff. Per Herzogs idea I just got in some JK poly bump stops to go on my C/Os. Also got in my Mustang 4 hole injectors. Hopefully that will tune her right up

xjtony

Not my first plan, but they will do for the season. I plan on running poly stops on my C/Os, but could not get the bottom eye off no matter what I tried. 20180429_173042.jpg20180429_173058.jpg

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Not my first plan, but they will do for the season. I plan on running poly stops on my C/Os, but could not get the bottom eye off no matter what I tried.

I had to gently heat mine up while using a non-abrasive clamp on the shaft and a bar through the eyelet to twist it off. They usually have some hardcore locktite on there but a little heat helps a TON.

xjtony

I had to gently heat mine up while using a non-abrasive clamp on the shaft and a bar through the eyelet to twist it off. They usually have some hardcore locktite on there but a little heat helps a TON.
I used boiling water first, then the torch and still couldn't get it off. I could see from marks on the shaft that it has been pulled before, so who knows what they put on there lol