Tony's buggy build

I've been wheeling and building my XJ now for about 10 years, but have lately had the urge to build a buggy. It was something that I wanted to do, but I didn't think it was in the near future... until I found this guy
2012-06-14101731.jpg

A couple of text's and a trip with the trailer and it followed me home. I did a little trading, so its a cheap base to build off of.
2012-06-15104644.jpg

Got it home and started looking, was surprised to see how well it was set up
Chevy TBI 4.3. Was running when the buggy was parted out, so hopefully wont be too bad to get running again.
2012-06-15132217.jpg

Set up for full hydro. Has the orbital valve, remote filter and cooler installed already.
2012-06-15132224.jpg

Ac compressor is converted for OBA. All the solenoids and valves seem to be there, its just a mater of cleaning everything up and making sure its GTG
2012-06-15132237.jpg

Set up as a 4 seater. I'm going to try and run a XJ rear folding seat in the back so I can fold it out of the way when I don't need it. I think I can make it work.
2012-06-15132325.jpg

The chassis was built off of a Yota frame so the wiring is there for a Yota pickup dash, probably pick one up from the JY for now. Later I'll do a custom dash
2012-06-15132311.jpg

It was set up for a 3 link with panhard in the front and a triangulated 4 link in the rear. I got some PVC to mock up some links, and the set up looks pretty promising. I'll probably add some gussets to the link tabs and run them as they are.

Plans:

Chevy 60/14 bolt
14-18 inch air shocks on all corners
Fuel cell
Turbo 350 and twin sticked 205

It will be a slow going project until I get the XJ sold or parted out, but at least its a start!

xjtony

The tube is 1.5 .120 wall on the chassis. Seems to be pretty well built. For links I was planning on 1.5 .120 sleeved with 1.25 .120. Should be plenty strong right? I was also looking at using Ruff stuff 7/8x 3/4 heims. Something like 42,000 lbs load. Its going to be a pretty light buggy (hopefully) so those should be plenty strong. Anyone else running them?

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
Running that material for lower links, those 7/8 heims will be plenty you will taco a link before you ever hurt those 7/8 heims

Bart

Glad to see that finally being built. That was the original donor rig for my Willys buggy build. It has a lot of promise.

Caleb

I have a feeling you're going to want more gearing or power. With a 4.3, auto, and stock geared 205, it's going to be pretty high geared...even if you do run 5.xx gears in the axles.

Cool project though. :)

ricsrx

Not a buggy part, but the guys that have towed with me will appreciate this one. Tow pig is getting an upgrade!

2012-07-05211630.jpg

I purchased my upgrade for my 94 ford from ATS, I think they made all their money doing the FORD turbo option, what ever happened to them....

xjtony

I have a feeling you're going to want more gearing or power. With a 4.3, auto, and stock geared 205, it's going to be pretty high geared...even if you do run 5.xx gears in the axles.

Cool project though. :)

I'm toying with the option of 6.17's in the axles. The web wheelers all say that the pinion is weak, but I have known several people that have run them and 7.17's with no more issues than any other set of gears.