Jeep Too much radiator ?

Omgbecki

My thoughts would be it is the radiator if that is really the only thing changed. If you have access to a stock radiator and or fan I would just swap those out real quick and see what happens

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
Yes I had similar thoughts about using his old radiator for a test. I also had my son in law test his XJ that has had lots of heating issues. He just put in a new all aluminum radiator and water pump with triple fans and at idle his upper to lower hose temp change was 50 degrees.

Omgbecki

I'm going to try to test my TJ tonight when I get off work. I have the high flow water pump with aluminum radiator and electric fan. I wonder how it compares to tout temp tests

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
We pulled the radiator out and found a bunch of crap in it so we now have to do a thorough flush of the system. He should have flushed the radiator out thoroughly before installing it. He also picked up a brand new radiator that we are going to put in it. We also found with the IR gauge that the thermostat would open fine but wouldn't shut back off quick enough which eventually leads to there being no difference in the inlet and outlet temperatures. So as part of the whole system flush we will be swapping out the thermostat.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
I pulled the thermostat last night and tested it in hot water, it opens up well but doesn't close all the way. It also had a fair amount of gunk in it. I'm flushing everything out now and will be replacing that thermostat.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
I flushed the entire cooling system and put in a new thermostat. The initial tests driving around close to home were good so yesterday I ran it up Parleys and it never got over 210 degrees. The only time I got it above that was pushing it hard and then slowing down. It would creep up to 220 then take a quick dive down to around 160. I'm figuring that the thermostat opened up enough to let the high flow water pump send more cool water in.